tjblonks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got my transcript for my LPC yesterday and i got a commendation. I was happy but cannot help but feel i am going in the wrong direction.

From when i was younger i wanted to be a pilot or a lawyer. My parents encouraged me to pursue law as it was an honourable profession and i listened. Throughout the years i have struggled with it though, but for numerous different reasons. I had to do various resits in College, i failed my first LLB and re-did it and passed ,just!. And with my LPC, it took almost 3 years.

I did not really enjoy myself but i pushed through ,with the hope that it would get better. I recently got some work experience in a firm with does family,immigration and housing work for the most part. I do not like it and i feel i am not respected there. Unpaid too! Rudeness and condescension. They treat some of their clients the same which is shocking.

I confronted my parents a few times in the past about my thoughts and there was a bit of pressure for me to continue, but i did not want to. In hindsight, i wish i never embarked on this route in life. I am 29 now and i feel like turning my back on this because i do not like it at all , but i have a lot of student debt. The feeling is so strong , that if i ever won the lottery , the first thing i would do is pay off my debts and leave it behind.

I appreciate all the opportunities i have had to study but i feel like, in some ways , i have wasted 12 years of my life pursuing what does not work for me. This is not me. Not my dream , maybe my parents dreams for me. I imagine i am not the only who may feel like this.

I just want some advice about what may be the best option from others who may feel the same and perhaps may have had doubts themselves.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why on Earth are you still doing what your parents tell you at 29? That is not normal behaviour. Particularly if your parents are not lawyers and don't understand what the work actually involves or the state of the job market for wannabe lawyers.

You need to go for a career which you are interested in. You are not going to do well otherwise. If you have decided you don't want to be in law, then you need to start focussing on your efforts on deciding where you would like to work.

What "debts" are we talking about? If we are talking about student finance debt - there is absolutely no need to be paying that off.
Last edited by jacketpotato; 2 years ago
sanjsk03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In all honesty you don’t know until you try the profession? Maybe try to look for paralegal work or legal assistant work?

The legal profession is very tough to get into! You’ve worked hard to complete it, so it’s worth a try! However, if your degree classification is low, then maybe a career change is the right thing to do.

You can study for another degree? You can do an open university course which I highly recommend. You can get into a career at a very junior level and work hard to get to the top.

What other industries might interest you?
Last edited by sanjsk03; 2 years ago
tjblonks
Rep:
?
It's the path that i am on at the minute. I think i have picked the wrong path. I have sampled other things like catering ,writing , running , programming , etc. I find i like practical//creative work and not being in the office all the time.

I have been working on using the skills i picked up so that it will not be a complete waste.

I owe money for student loan but also a finance company for traveling ,expenses and course fees. I suppose we will all owe student loan til we are 40 , unless we get lucky.
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Why on Earth are you still doing what your parents tell you at 29? That is not normal behaviour. Particularly if your parents are not lawyers and don't understand what the work actually involves or the state of the job market for wannabe lawyers.

You need to go for a career which you are interested in. You are not going to do well otherwise. If you have decided you don't want to be in law, then you need to start focussing on your efforts on deciding where you would like to work.

What "debts" are we talking about? If we are talking about student finance debt - there is absolutely no need to be paying that off.
tjblonks
Rep:
?
Yeah , I've been at a law firm for a month and yeah.....:dontknow::zomg:. When i was doing the LPC, i was worried because it was boring and very procedural. Very different from when i studied law at university. I ended up getting a 2.1 in the end.

Yes , it is hard to get into, i really get that. In some ways ,very ,very unfair. I have just lost the passion and i am unhappy doing it. I don't want to be like others who hate what they do but just do it for the money. A lot of people are robbing people in the profession too , which is sad. At the same time , i understand circumstances might not allow you to change up.

Thank you for the advice. I know about the open university but i would prefer not to do another degree. I am burned out academically. I recently discovered that i like practical things, being creative and the outdoors. I want to find a way to earn money doing these things, because we all have to pay the bills right?

I am from an African family and there is a lot of pressure to do well academically. My parents both high achievers academically and socially. This is on the back of coming from humble beginnings. Being in the UK with all the opportunities etc and being the eldest son , who has to set a good example, there is a lot of pressure. I would have loved to be a chef or a pilot , but this was not received well and perhaps , viewed as inappropriate or shameful.

I will continue to explore my hobbies and interests and see if i could make money doing what i enjoy and then make the switch. One thing i learned is not to leave somewhere until you have something lined up elsewhere, because you dont know where you will end up.

(Original post by sanjsk03)
In all honesty you don’t know until you try the profession? Maybe try to look for paralegal work or legal assistant work?

The legal profession is very tough to get into! You’ve worked hard to complete it, so it’s worth a try! However, if your degree classification is low, then maybe a career change is the right thing to do.

You can study for another degree? You can do an open university course which I highly recommend. You can get into a career at a very junior level and work hard to get to the top.

What other industries might interest you?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everything you say makes perfect sense to me.

It sounds like law is not for you. That's totally OK, law is not for everybody, there is an enormous range of opportunities out there. I think you will be much happier if you find a career you enjoy (or you at least find vaguely interesting!)

Personally I would just find for a job that sounds like it would be interesting, go for it, and see where it leads you.

I think you have to take a long term view with these things. Your family may not be delighted about whatever job you choose immediately, but you are nearly 29 so have to carve your own path. If you do well at your job you will achieve the success you are looking for - e.g even a job serving fries at McDonalds becomes of high social status if you work hard, do well and work your way up to for example area manager.
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's good you realised you hate law sooner rather than later. Not everyone has that clarity of judgement.
tjblonks
Rep:
?
I have served two terms at Dominos, i can't go back , please:no:. I've had my fill.

I liked the academic side of law , but yeah , i think perhaps i know enough now to decide that it is not for me. I do want to write a few books as my swansong , before i bow out. I suppose this would help people understand the law bit more.

I think you are right. I think i need to make a serious plan and find some success and then tell my family, that way at least i am doing something. Rather than going straight to square one. I am turning 30 in June. i feel so old.
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Everything you say makes perfect sense to me.

It sounds like law is not for you. That's totally OK, law is not for everybody, there is an enormous range of opportunities out there. I think you will be much happier if you find a career you enjoy (or you at least find vaguely interesting!)

Personally I would just find for a job that sounds like it would be interesting, go for it, and see where it leads you.

I think you have to take a long term view with these things. Your family may not be delighted about whatever job you choose immediately, but you are nearly 29 so have to carve your own path. If you do well at your job you will achieve the success you are looking for - e.g even a job serving fries at McDonalds becomes of high social status if you work hard, do well and work your way up to for example area manager.
tjblonks
Rep:
?
I don't know if i would say i outright hate it . Some aspects are interesting but it is not for me. I have seen too much. Thanks
(Original post by The West Wing)
It's good you realised you hate law sooner rather than later. Not everyone has that clarity of judgement.
Dann.It
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tjblonks)
Yeah , I've been at a law firm for a month and yeah.....:dontknow::zomg:. When i was doing the LPC, i was worried because it was boring and very procedural. Very different from when i studied law at university. I ended up getting a 2.1 in the end.

Yes , it is hard to get into, i really get that. In some ways ,very ,very unfair. I have just lost the passion and i am unhappy doing it. I don't want to be like others who hate what they do but just do it for the money. A lot of people are robbing people in the profession too , which is sad. At the same time , i understand circumstances might not allow you to change up.

Thank you for the advice. I know about the open university but i would prefer not to do another degree. I am burned out academically. I recently discovered that i like practical things, being creative and the outdoors. I want to find a way to earn money doing these things, because we all have to pay the bills right?

I am from an African family and there is a lot of pressure to do well academically. My parents both high achievers academically and socially. This is on the back of coming from humble beginnings. Being in the UK with all the opportunities etc and being the eldest son , who has to set a good example, there is a lot of pressure. I would have loved to be a chef or a pilot , but this was not received well and perhaps , viewed as inappropriate or shameful.

I will continue to explore my hobbies and interests and see if i could make money doing what i enjoy and then make the switch. One thing i learned is not to leave somewhere until you have something lined up elsewhere, because you dont know where you will end up.
reminds me of a meme of growing up black you have 1 of 3 options for a career; Lawyer, Doctor, or Engineer. Anyway, your parents remind me of my own - especially the parts of setting an example as you're the oldest, which is the typical thing in every African family, so can relate with you 100%.

Try and find what you like, and then pursue it. Although it's expected that your parents will pretty much hate you for and feel like you're a let down for quite a while, so be prepared for that. I'm surprised that they'd even turned their noses on being a Pilot, as really that's still a respectable IMHO.

Just follow your heart & desires OP, and you'll be fine.

Goodluck.
tjblonks
Rep:
?
Yeah , it can be tough. My dad is a doctor and my uncle is an Engineer. That meme is real haha.

I think they will be dissapointed but i reckon if i make a living and earn enough money to stand on my own feet then they will be proud all the same. Not having to go back to that law firm is a massive load off my shoulders, i feel like atlas sometimes.

Hopefully , i will find my path soon. Good luck with yours.
(Original post by Dann.It)
reminds me of a meme of growing up black you have 1 of 3 options for a career; Lawyer, Doctor, or Engineer. Anyway, your parents remind me of my own - especially the parts of setting an example as you're the oldest, which is the typical thing in every African family, so can relate with you 100%.

Try and find what you like, and then pursue it. Although it's expected that your parents will pretty much hate you for and feel like you're a let down for quite a while, so be prepared for that. I'm surprised that they'd even turned their noses on being a Pilot, as really that's still a respectable IMHO.

Just follow your heart & desires OP, and you'll be fine.

Goodluck.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (213)
43.83%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.52%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.19%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (51)
10.49%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.56%

Watched Threads