akop6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have an offer from both, and with the UCAS deadline coming up I really have to decide which one to firm!!

I'm having what seem to be the usual problems deciding between these two - Durham is ranked slightly higher for my subject (music) but I'm afraid that I would end up slightly claustrophobic in such a small place.

Edinburgh is ranked slightly lower, but may offer more options in terms of student life. The fact that it's in a city means that there's most likely a better scene outside the university, and opportunities for activities that aren't totally uni-centred (like concerts, Fringe Festival etc). On the other hand, it doesn't have an ethnomusicology module at all, and the course is 4 years long rather than 3. The course sounds super interesting, but with a less traditional approach than Durham's, which could go either way.

While I've heard that Durham's collegiate system is great in that everyone becomes close through it etc, how would I engage in anything that wasn't directly through the university? On the other hand, I don't want to turn down the better course because of an irrational fear.

Sorry for this ramble, any help would be appreciated!!
Last edited by akop6; 2 years ago
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Newcastle is only 30 mins away from Durham so you get the best of both cities.
poobrain01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go to the place that will get you the degree that you want and looks better on paper. That's what university is for at the end of the day anyway- it's for that paper. People act like nightlife is a factor that helps them get a job or a position. I just don't understand this logic. The fun can come later.

University isn't a theme park- it's a business. They sell you the nightlife perk to get you gripped, because they know sex, drugs, music and alcohol appeals to young people. But everyone's always down in the dumps in third year. Everyone. Always. Because they realise the degree is what they came for and they'd swap all of those long hard nights of partying for a 2:1 or a first in a heartbeat.

Durham sounds better and gives you the degree that you want.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by poobrain01)
Go to the place that will get you the degree that you want and looks better on paper. That's what university is for at the end of the day anyway- it's for that paper. People act like nightlife is a factor that helps them get a job or a position. I just don't understand this logic. The fun can come later.

University isn't a theme park- it's a business. They sell you the nightlife perk to get you gripped, because they know sex, drugs, music and alcohol appeals to young people. But everyone's always down in the dumps in third year. Everyone. Always. Because they realise the degree is what they came for and they'd swap all of those long hard nights of partying for a 2:1 or a first in a heartbeat.

Durham sounds better and gives you the degree that you want.
I’m sorry but I 100% don’t agree with this. I did economics at Durham and work in investment banking. I wish I went elsewhere. I would have had a good time, even though I landed a good job. Frankly the name and future career isn’t everything. In the real world, who cares what uni you went to; if so and so has a better reputation. I would sacrifice a chunk of my salary to have the time of my life when I was 18 one million times over. What’s the point in life if you’re not going to enjoy it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (17)
31.48%
No (37)
68.52%

Watched Threads