Senior Physics Challenge 2019 - Isaac Physics

Watch
arya_mandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
On their website it says that successful applicants in the past have done an order of 100 questions of maths and physics so 200 questions mostly lv4,5,6 would be enough if you're the only one from your school.
arya_mandal
Rep:
?
You won't have much chance if you're starting now, the deadline is 5pm tomorrow. I've done around 320 questions now but there are a few doing it from my school.
arya_mandal
Rep:
?
I've heard some people got on last year with only 50 questions but all level 5 or 6. I think there are 137 level 6 questions in total, I've done 38 lv6, 74 lv5, mainly maths ones.
julia_riley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last year I did 118 level 6 questions and I still didn't get in. With your measly number of questions completed, good luck getting in.
(Original post by arya_mandal)
I've heard some people got on last year with only 50 questions but all level 5 or 6. I think there are 137 level 6 questions in total, I've done 38 lv6, 74 lv5, mainly maths ones.
michael_conterio
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This seems unfair because I started just a week before the deadline and only did around 20 level ones and 2's but was invited into the school.
(Original post by julia_riley)
Last year I did 118 level 6 questions and I still didn't get in. With your measly number of questions completed, good luck getting in.
julia_riley
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friend had also done less than 40 level 6 questions, like you, and he got a personal email from Cambridge at how pathetic he was, I expect you will receive an email of the similar sort.
michael_conterio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
don't you find it funny that the inverse of 137 also takes the approximation for the fine structure constant. Things like this really get my gears turning
(Original post by arya_mandal)
Rudi Mears
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree, sounds very fishy indeed
julia_riley
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You must have done a hell of a lot of questions if you know the names of each professor. How many have you done?
julia_riley
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol yeah sure
how many have u done tho
michael_conterio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How many of each level of question did everyone complete in the end??
ben_james
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by michael_conterio)
How many of each level of question did everyone complete in the end??
Basically 0 lvl1-3, 80 lvl 6, 103 lvl 5 and 120 lvl 4
ben_james
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah but people in my school did very similar to me, probably better
Rudi Mears
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cor Blimey you’ve done a lot
(Original post by ben_james)
Basically 0 lvl1-3, 80 lvl 6, 103 lvl 5 and 120 lvl 4
sarahqe13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some, 6: 8, 5: 65, 4: 100, 1-3: 208Not sure if that is enough with only a few lvl 6, I hope so :/
TH001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was on the course last year so ask me any questions you may have about it.
sarahqe13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What topics did you complete questions on to get onto the residential and how many (such as generic question I know!). Well done for getting on the course last year as well
(Original post by TH001)
I was on the course last year so ask me any questions you may have about it.
TH001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sarahqe13)
What topics did you complete questions on to get onto the residential and how many (such as generic question I know!). Well done for getting on the course last year as well
Basically by the deadline I had done most of the topics and just found the questions that were doable, I had a picture of how much I did by the deadline and it was 617 questions, but 250-300 of them were lvl 1-3 so don’t really count for much, and I was defo one of the ones who had done more questions than most, I had only around 60 lvl 6s so it’s not like you need a 100 of those to get in.
sarahqe13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow, thats plenty! I found the level 5/6 topics I personally haven't been taught yet so was trying to solve some "easier" ones on angular motion etc. I hope I get in but I know I haven't done loads like others so it's unlikely

(Original post by TH001)
Basically by the deadline I had done most of the topics and just found the questions that were doable, I had a picture of how much I did by the deadline and it was 617 questions, but 250-300 of them were lvl 1-3 so don’t really count for much, and I was defo one of the ones who had done more questions than most, I had only around 60 lvl 6s so it’s not like you need a 100 of those to get in.
TH001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sarahqe13)
Wow, thats plenty! I found the level 5/6 topics I personally haven't been taught yet so was trying to solve some "easier" ones on angular motion etc. I hope I get in but I know I haven't done loads like others so it's unlikely

Nah I wouldn’t worry too much because it’s usually the keenest person who will occupy the threads so it will be overestimated how much you actually need, and yeah most of the lvl 5-6 topics I tried to teach myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads