The Student Room Group

Senior Physics Challenge 2019 - Isaac Physics

On their website it says that successful applicants in the past have done an order of 100 questions of maths and physics so 200 questions mostly lv4,5,6 would be enough if you're the only one from your school.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't have much chance if you're starting now, the deadline is 5pm tomorrow. I've done around 320 questions now but there are a few doing it from my school.
Reply 2
I've heard some people got on last year with only 50 questions but all level 5 or 6. I think there are 137 level 6 questions in total, I've done 38 lv6, 74 lv5, mainly maths ones.
Last year I did 118 level 6 questions and I still didn't get in. With your measly number of questions completed, good luck getting in.
Original post by arya_mandal
I've heard some people got on last year with only 50 questions but all level 5 or 6. I think there are 137 level 6 questions in total, I've done 38 lv6, 74 lv5, mainly maths ones.
This seems unfair because I started just a week before the deadline and only did around 20 level ones and 2's but was invited into the school.
Original post by julia_riley
Last year I did 118 level 6 questions and I still didn't get in. With your measly number of questions completed, good luck getting in.
My friend had also done less than 40 level 6 questions, like you, and he got a personal email from Cambridge at how pathetic he was, I expect you will receive an email of the similar sort.
don't you find it funny that the inverse of 137 also takes the approximation for the fine structure constant. Things like this really get my gears turning
Original post by arya_mandal
I agree, sounds very fishy indeed
You must have done a hell of a lot of questions if you know the names of each professor. How many have you done?
lol yeah sure
how many have u done tho
How many of each level of question did everyone complete in the end??
Original post by michael_conterio
How many of each level of question did everyone complete in the end??

Basically 0 lvl1-3, 80 lvl 6, 103 lvl 5 and 120 lvl 4
Cor Blimey you’ve done a lot
Original post by ben_james
Basically 0 lvl1-3, 80 lvl 6, 103 lvl 5 and 120 lvl 4
Yeah but people in my school did very similar to me, probably better
Some, 6: 8, 5: 65, 4: 100, 1-3: 208Not sure if that is enough with only a few lvl 6, I hope so :/
Reply 15
I was on the course last year so ask me any questions you may have about it.
What topics did you complete questions on to get onto the residential and how many (such as generic question I know!). Well done for getting on the course last year as well
Original post by TH001
I was on the course last year so ask me any questions you may have about it.
Reply 17
Original post by sarahqe13
What topics did you complete questions on to get onto the residential and how many (such as generic question I know!). Well done for getting on the course last year as well

Basically by the deadline I had done most of the topics and just found the questions that were doable, I had a picture of how much I did by the deadline and it was 617 questions, but 250-300 of them were lvl 1-3 so don’t really count for much, and I was defo one of the ones who had done more questions than most, I had only around 60 lvl 6s so it’s not like you need a 100 of those to get in.
Wow, thats plenty! I found the level 5/6 topics I personally haven't been taught yet so was trying to solve some "easier" ones on angular motion etc. I hope I get in but I know I haven't done loads like others so it's unlikely

Original post by TH001
Basically by the deadline I had done most of the topics and just found the questions that were doable, I had a picture of how much I did by the deadline and it was 617 questions, but 250-300 of them were lvl 1-3 so don’t really count for much, and I was defo one of the ones who had done more questions than most, I had only around 60 lvl 6s so it’s not like you need a 100 of those to get in.
Reply 19
Original post by sarahqe13
Wow, thats plenty! I found the level 5/6 topics I personally haven't been taught yet so was trying to solve some "easier" ones on angular motion etc. I hope I get in but I know I haven't done loads like others so it's unlikely

Nah I wouldn’t worry too much because it’s usually the keenest person who will occupy the threads so it will be overestimated how much you actually need, and yeah most of the lvl 5-6 topics I tried to teach myself.

Quick Reply

Latest