Not sure what to do - stick at job for experience or do a masters Watch

BlondeTraveller
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I graduated around a year ago, I knew what I wanted to do and by the end of the summer I was offered a role that seemed really exciting and the perfect entrance into a higher education career. I was promised almost full time hours, however I very quickly learned after starting that there were barely any hours on offer, sometimes as little as 2 hours per week. When I did go to work what I was doing was pointless and was not helping or making a difference to students in any way.

After 6 months I was offered a full time role at one of the best universities in the country, the role seemed varied and interesting, and it was somewhere I wanted to live, so I took it. I've been there around 2 months now and while the people are lovely and the role is okay, I have realised that higher education is not where I want to work anymore. I also realised this because very soon into my role I was offered the opportunity to lead a number of projects in the field I actually want to go into, however they unfortunately do not make up much of my role.

My original plan was to work in this role for around a year or 2 to build up my general working experience, and to save money to do a masters in the field I am incredibly passionate about. However, yesterday I discovered (due to new information being released) that I can now do the masters in September should I be accepted, as my student loan amount has raised significantly and I would not need to save for a year.

I'm now torn. I don't know whether it's better to stick to the original plan and build experience/money but be in an industry I am no longer passionate about, I am concerned about how it would look to have two short jobs on my cv and I don't want to let my employer down. Or whether I should leave in September to go to do the masters I want to do.

As silly as it may seem to some, I am worried that if I stay in my job and leave later I may be quite old (24/25) doing a masters and then starting my preferred career.

I am completely torn as there are many pros and cons with both scenarios. I gained a number of various work experiences during my degree in the form of short placements and projects, but despite that being alongside study employers have asked why I have had short jobs. So the idea of having short jobs post graduation scares me even more.

I apologise for the length of this, but I would appreciate any advice from people who have been through this or something similar.
BlondeTraveller
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I think so, without one I won't really get considered for anything because I didn't do enough of the subject during my degree to compete with those who purely studied that. And jobs that will consider you will not actually entail anything to do with the subject, which has happened to me and I got to interview and the role was the opposite of the job description.
(Original post by J-SP)
Do you need a masters for the new career?
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BlondeTraveller)
So I graduated around a year ago, I knew what I wanted to do and by the end of the summer I was offered a role that seemed really exciting and the perfect entrance into a higher education career. I was promised almost full time hours, however I very quickly learned after starting that there were barely any hours on offer, sometimes as little as 2 hours per week. When I did go to work what I was doing was pointless and was not helping or making a difference to students in any way.

After 6 months I was offered a full time role at one of the best universities in the country, the role seemed varied and interesting, and it was somewhere I wanted to live, so I took it. I've been there around 2 months now and while the people are lovely and the role is okay, I have realised that higher education is not where I want to work anymore. I also realised this because very soon into my role I was offered the opportunity to lead a number of projects in the field I actually want to go into, however they unfortunately do not make up much of my role.

My original plan was to work in this role for around a year or 2 to build up my general working experience, and to save money to do a masters in the field I am incredibly passionate about. However, yesterday I discovered (due to new information being released) that I can now do the masters in September should I be accepted, as my student loan amount has raised significantly and I would not need to save for a year.

I'm now torn. I don't know whether it's better to stick to the original plan and build experience/money but be in an industry I am no longer passionate about, I am concerned about how it would look to have two short jobs on my cv and I don't want to let my employer down. Or whether I should leave in September to go to do the masters I want to do.

As silly as it may seem to some, I am worried that if I stay in my job and leave later I may be quite old (24/25) doing a masters and then starting my preferred career.

I am completely torn as there are many pros and cons with both scenarios. I gained a number of various work experiences during my degree in the form of short placements and projects, but despite that being alongside study employers have asked why I have had short jobs. So the idea of having short jobs post graduation scares me even more.

I apologise for the length of this, but I would appreciate any advice from people who have been through this or something similar.
No one can advise without knowing which career and which masters you are looking at. Is it a career with a reasonable number of positions to apply for? Does it pay enough to justify the cost of the masters?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads