Should people with high a IQ be allowed to vote at a younger age than 18?

Watch this thread
solark
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This was randomly brought up in a casual conversation and has had me thinking - In theory, being exceptionally smart should put them in a position to critically judge the current political scene of the country and take logical decisions - in an era where young people appear to be indifferent towards voting and engaging themselves with political parties, would allowing people with a high IQ that are younger than the legal age of 18 to vote increase the representation of the youth in vital decisions (referendums, prime minister etc) What are your thoughts?
HHJ11
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Having a high IQ is not an valid indication of how socially and politically aware one is.

I could have a high IQ in mathematics, but have no idea behind voting or political parties.

Even if those with a high IQ were permitted to vote at the age of 16, their views would not be representative of all the 16 year-olds with an average or below-average IQ, in the UK. This means that there's no point in allowing one group of 16 year-olds vote; either let them all vote (not recommended) or keep the voting age at 18.
damnit1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No lol that's stupid

IQ is very subjective and test scores varies.
Plus IQ has nothing to do with Political Views.

I think Voting represents Autonomy an individual has - if we give it to people with 'higher IQs' it suggests that people who have lower ones do not deserve choice
Last edited by damnit1; 3 years ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
IQ is no guarantee of critical thinking and decision making.

You can get a high IQ score from a test purely based on your ability to deal with shapes. That doesn't correlate to intelligence.

So, no. That argument is based on a flawed understanding of what intelligence is.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I was going to say that an IQ is not a sufficient condition for sensible voting but clearly everyone else sees that too.
Last edited by HoldThisL; 3 years ago
Obolinda
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
:lol:
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No, we can't have a situation where a person's ability to vote is tied to IQ.
Or have the uk's 'one law for all' in the country principle undermined by offering different laws and rights dependent upon IQ.
The precedent implications would be absolutely dire.
Attaining the legal age of adulthood and not being in prison works fine as regards eligibility to vote.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
By that logic someone with a very low IQ wouldn't be allowed to vote until they're 70
MidgetFever
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If this was implemented there would be a LOT of human rights claims, it doesn't take a genius to realise that this is blatant discrimination based on intelligence.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
We should do away with voting and adopt the technocratic system of government.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
until fairly recently students at the top two yoonies were entitled to vote twice; this is still the case in Ireland today.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
We should do away with voting and adopt the technocratic system of government.
Absolutely.
Let the dogs lead!
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
until fairly recently students at the top two yoonies were entitled to vote twice; this is still the case in Ireland today.
Were you at Cantab in the '40s, bear?
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
a lot of older people dont have a clue either, 18 is a good age for everyone imo...
CuriosityYay
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well, the controversy about the age of vote is an old one and the way I see it is that it is easier and far more efficient to just set an age limit when the average (vast majority) of the people that age is considered to be grown up or responsible or mature.

There are some exceptions of course like: a 15-year-old who is mature and does understand politics and a 25-year-old who is still regarded as a irresponsible (a.k.a a baby).

But these exceptions account for a very small percentage and most of the times will not significantly affect the voting (or at least this is the null hypothesis).

And within a couple of years we'll all grow up, pass that legal age, have the vote and will look down at all those younger boys and girls and say: 'Nope, those shouldn't get the vote, we waited so they should wait, as well'.

From my 16-year-old opinion
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
And I wouldn’t be allowed to vote until I’m 131 ( officially I have a very low iq
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Were you at Cantab in the '40s, bear?
the 1840s. happy time.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I want to know the answer to that question the bear 🐻 is easily clever enough for Oxbridge
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
And I wouldn’t be allowed to vote until I’m 131 ( officially I have a very low iq
it is time for an update on your IQ Mum !

https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school...e=easy-iq-test

so make yourself comfortable & in your own time....
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I want to know the answer to that question the bear 🐻 is easily clever enough for Oxbridge
You haven't seen him in the University Challenge thread! The man is very impressive. Not all puns and limericks.

I believe he's a mathmo from Cambridge, but could be wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.83%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.38%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.2%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
23.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.51%

Watched Threads