The Student Room Group

anyone transferred course after first year?

post removed
Arent some of the answers just common sense?

1. Exams and coursework? Depends on the basis of transfer. Is it just on your A levels or are they expecting to take into account how you performed in year 1? If you are upgrading then that would normally be the case.
2. Informal or formal interview? Not everyone interviews and the formality will depend on the uni. I would expect it would be informal, but as its an interview, then you should always be prepared.
3. Helpful and approachable? Again depends on the uni and the individuals you interact with.
4. Reference may just be par for the course, but I would think they wouldnt normally ask for a reference unless they were considering you.

Your biggest changes will be:

1. Getting used to the course and their way of working, especially if its an upgrade.
2. Second years will already be in established cliques, so spruce up your social skills and have a thick skin.
Is it in the same uni or different?
Considering the difference in course then its really just like applying to uni again.
They consider whether:

1. They have space?
2. Any interview. Not all unis or courses have them.
3. A level and degree grades?
4. Which uni you apply from?
5. Personal statement.
6. Referee.

As you are a bit late and missed the deadline, then you are not a priority, but it would be an advantage if you are internal. the fact they are taking your reference means they will at least consider you. Just make a competent application and you should be ok imo as you already have the grades?

They may or may not require you to sit your exams. You may or may not wish to.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
7. Extra currics.
You are right in your assumption that the uni won't want you to drop out completely if they can help it, especially since you are a good student who has been working to a First. I would take the fact that the department you wish to transfer to is asking for a reference as a very positive sign, since I can't see why they would do this if they didn't want to take you.

I don't think there will be a tough interview, more of an informal chat. But if they do question your reasons, there's nothing wrong with citing your problems with Physics - it is understandable that your lack of A level Physics has proved to be difficult. Also, it's not going to impact upon your suitability for an accounting degree, so I would mention both the change in interests and the realisation that your academic background makes accountancy more appropriate than engineering.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on :smile:
If you are on a first, then they can't be worried about academics and I expect you will get a very good reference. The only questions I expect they will have is to understand your reasons for wanting to switch and that theirs is the correct course. You just need to get the narrative right, so it is genuine, but bigs up accountancy enough to make them confident you have genuine reasons for the switch and know what you are letting yourself in for.

Its fine if you say engineering wasnt for you, but also have ready your narrative on why you chose accountancy, what appeals, what experience, what research, why it suits etc. Look at the course structure in detail, talk to some accountancy students, just have some good reasons you are in the know. They should be fine. I dont think you have anything to worry about , just make sure it really is the course for you as you only get one gift year.
Presumably your referee will know what to say and it will be supportive. Dont worry it all seems good. Doesnt seem that long ago you were doing GCSE.

Do be honest with yourself and make sure it really is the course for you because you only get one gift year.

PS internal transfers are a lot less formal because you are already on the inside.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending