The Student Room Group

Exeter uni or st andrews!! Help!!

Scroll to see replies

I wonder how much money Exetah would have to lose to sue, the ever-wise, Ibz Mo for defamation.
Original post by Arisapo
You’re possibly the most intellectually malnourished person I’ve seen on this site.

First, you’ve called Exeter trash based on an IbzMo video and an article about an isolated incident. You’re a GCSE student who’s never been to the place in all likelihood.

Secondly, you used the same incident but just reported in 3 different ways to prove your point. Just because ones from the BBC and another is The Guardian, it doesn’t make it an additional incident.

You’ve called Exeter “racist” because of one incident where the students were dealt with. By the same logic, everyone at Warwick is a rapist or everyone who goes to Bristol is suicidal.

Your opinion is useless and contributes nothing. The OP is trying to make a massive decision regarding their future and you just say “don’t go to Exeter, watch IbzMo’s video, it’s racist”. Unhelpful and uninformed.

Clearly contributed something, due to the fact you took time in order to reply. Exeter is trash & racist, they probably, most likely will not be a Russell group uni in 2020 due to this. I'm a GCSE student, and? Don't get hurt because of my intellectual abilities to think and understand the racist behind the noun "Exeter".

Exeter has connotations of "RACISM" PERIODTH.
Original post by rifraf1000
Clearly contributed something, due to the fact you took time in order to reply. Exeter is trash & racist, they probably, most likely will not be a Russell group uni in 2020 due to this. I'm a GCSE student, and? Don't get hurt because of my intellectual abilities to think and understand the racist behind the noun "Exeter".

Exeter has connotations of "RACISM" PERIODTH.

@Arisapo don't be drawn into it with an obvious troll. The unfortunate thing that this blatant trolling (to regular users), might actual influence the decision making of newbs who find this thread via a quick Google.
Original post by Notoriety
@Arisapo don't be drawn into it with an obvious troll. The unfortunate thing that this blatant trolling (to regular users), might actual influence the decision making of newbs who find this thread via a quick Google.

I can tell it’s a troll but like you said, threads like these, the guy writing an essay and whatever, which are mainly troll threads, are going to deter people from going who might have genuine concerns.

The IbzMo video is annoying and dramatic but at least it’s coming from his own experience; the troll hasn’t even been to Exeter.

Think the problem is people mistake a lack of diversity for a place being racist. Yes, it doesn’t have a lot of diversity and is mainly white, middle-class students, but that’s the same as the majority of RGs. And the OP is comparing it with St. Andrew’s, which is likely even less diverse.

When more and more people do this uninformed posts, it increases the likelihood of a prospective student actually being put off.
exeter is not racist, my friend knows ibz, and he knows that its just a joke hes on about, yes he struggled in getting in to it, however it doesnt deem exeter as a **** uni because of ones experience, others have really good experiences too!
Original post by Coolkitkat23
exeter is not racist, my friend knows ibz, and he knows that its just a joke hes on about, yes he struggled in getting in to it, however it doesnt deem exeter as a **** uni because of ones experience, others have really good experiences too!

exeter is racist. lmao. WATCH ibz mo video and y'all will understand
Racism goes on in all walks of life and in most universities. Exeter isnt alone in that. Whilst watching or reading items are you aware that those involved are no longer there and have been expelled. Exeter has 20000 students and you look at the behaviour of a few. A very immature way to look at issues. There are very few students who are racist and it is likely there are a small amount elsewhere.
Original post by sophiegreen28
I'm trying to decide between studying Anthropology at Exeter or St Andrews uni, they both want AAB! I'm super indecisive and really need some help, if anyone has any tips on how to decide, or knows anyone who has also decided between them, they'd be appreciated! Thanks!!

if you've visited both then i can't fathom how you could find the decision tough!

Durham and St Andrews are on par.
because they're both so different, so they're not easy to compare
Original post by A Rolling Stone
if you've visited both then i can't fathom how you could find the decision tough!

Durham and St Andrews are on par.
Ultimately go to the one you think youd enjoy lost, location, cost of living, night life etc
tho st andrews is evidently less controversial lmao
Reply 30
Whilst I didn't consider Exeter during my university applications (I'm Scottish and wanted to stay here), one thing to consider is modules: I believe Exeter is 3 years and you solely study Anthropology, whilst in St Andrews you generally study 3 subjects in your first 2 years, but then your degree is 4 years total

e.g. I studied economics, maths/statistics, and international relations in my first year, then economics, finance/statistics, and management in my second year. In my final 2 years I just studied economics and will graduate in June in Economics.

Some people prefer the opportunity to try new/different subjects and gain more breadth in earlier years especially as you can then modify your degree path [as in you could start with History, but switch to a French degree if you do the required modules], whilst others find taking these outside modules irritating and prefer the English system.

Definitely look into both of their course module lists to see if they offer anthropology modules that appeal to you. Unfortunately I've not done any modules in that department but I've not heard anything bad about them if that helps?

I believe both are pretty well-ranked, so I don't think in terms of rank one would disadvantage you to a huge extent!

=

In terms of atmosphere as some people have outlined above, it is a very personal choice. I can't talk about Exeter but here is some thoughts on St A:

Most people who find St Andrews too small did not have the chance to visit beforehand so weren't prepared for it, although there are of course exceptions. What I have found is that in return for a smaller town you get a much closer-knit community than my friends at other universities have. An optional tradition to get involved with in first semester is academic families, where 3rd years 'adopt' freshers- this is a great way to build a network of friends in the town, and culminates with an event called Raisin Weekend (you probably had this mentioned at your visit so I won't go into detail). There are some strange traditions, but they are pretty fun

Someone mentioned the 'posh' side of St Andrews, and all I'll say is that it really depends on your friend group and where you stay (I stayed in two halls, won't go into detail but whilst both were nice they were very different in demographic). St Andrews as a whole has a large international community which I really like

Clubs and societies are very big here, with enough to meet most interests and the chance to start up clubs if you have inspiration (this year there was a new cocktail-making society formed which has been super popular!). These clubs organise events both within and outside the town, and if you ever need a break then Dundee is 20 mins by bus, or Edinburgh just over an hour if you go by the nearby train station. I will say that there are some days I feel a bit tired of the small town (Finishing up my 5th year just now, and went to the state high school in town), but after a day trip in Fife/Edinburgh, or a week later I'm over it :smile:

I'm not a huge clubber but I will say nights out here are a bit different from city-based unis: flat parties are very common, whether organised by individuals or societies, as are pub quizzes/crawls, bonfires, and big events like fashion shows and balls (mixture of prices and styles). Some bars also run events in conjunction with student groups. There are loads of charitable fundraising events that go on, so you'll always tend to find something! The Vic has a small club-like space, as does Ma Bells, but the biggest is the student union. The union has a few different bars with different atmospheres, then there is a bigger club space called Club 601. Some nights the club is brilliant fun, other times less so, but I think you get that anywhere? (small town girl moved to small town uni = very little knowledge lol) There is a general consensus that students 'make their own fun' in the town through the events we organise, which is quite nice actually!

Not a scene I've gotten involved with much, but there is a lot of creative arts here for a small town. Mermaids is a big drama society that puts on lots of productions and I think a few go to the Edinburgh Fringe every year; there are also lots of bands and choirs, some just uni-based but also some joined with the local community. The Art society puts on creative retreats and lots of arty sessions, and will often do collabs with other societies.

Sports is also very big here, but teams are generally lovely and very welcoming to newcomers even if you have no experience of a sport!

I personally love being on the coast and being able to go to the beach to clear my head after a long study session.

=

I wrote this on the fly so may have missed out on some big issues, and also need to head to a meeting so will leave this here. Again sorry i can't directly compare this with Exeter but I hope this gives you a bit of an idea about St Andrews. Feel free to message if you have any particular questions, I could do with some procrastination!

Best of luck in your choices x
ive watched it already... however a few minority doesnt represent the majority of people there

Watch Ibz Mo's video - you can tell you're 15/16 can't you?

The guy loves drama and has made a video in a joke manner and people like you take it as gospel. You'll likely be going to Bolton anyway my friend.
I'm trying to decide between studying Anthropology at Exeter or St Andrews uni, they both want AAB! I'm super indecisive and really need some help, if anyone has any tips on how to decide, or knows anyone who has also decided between them, they'd be appreciated! Thanks!!

I know nothing about Scotland so have done a quick check and here are some differences. Exeter as a university is nearly double the size of St Andrews and is close on 6b times the size of a city. I believe St Andrews may be a college university Exeter is not. I think size and distance maybe the difference which may help you decide.
Thank You! Distance is really my main factor, St Andrews is a lot further for me than Exeter
Original post by swanseajack1
I know nothing about Scotland so have done a quick check and here are some differences. Exeter as a university is nearly double the size of St Andrews and is close on 6b times the size of a city. I believe St Andrews may be a college university Exeter is not. I think size and distance maybe the difference which may help you decide.
well then go with Exeter if it's your main factor! but i had a 6hr train journey from London Kings Cross to St Andrews or a 1 hour flight to Edinburgh and it always felt like an adventure.. half of the people i met in my first year were from places like Seattle and California so i felt ridiculous talking to them about how brave i was to move so far away from home at uni!
Thank You! Distance is really my main factor, St Andrews is a lot further for me than Exeter
Original post by Arisapo
Watch Ibz Mo's video - you can tell you're 15/16 can't you?

The guy loves drama and has made a video in a joke manner and people like you take it as gospel. You'll likely be going to Bolton anyway my friend.

im 15 :frown: dude

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending