wonderr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What 'English' is preferred by employers if planning on becoming an English teacher.
English Language or English Literature? Does it even matter?
hrusse2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English Literature is considered a better qualification to have overall. It is deemed a facilitating subject more than English Language. Is this for A-Level or degree?
Nx23
Badges: 10
Report 1 year ago
I agree but it also depends what u wish to teach like u may want to expertise in language for example
(Original post by hrusse2)
English Literature is considered a better qualification to have overall. It is deemed a facilitating subject more than English Language. Is this for A-Level or degree?
username4272282
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've always been advised that English Lit is more highly regarded. Apparently, Eng Language allows for more creativity, though.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wonderr)
What 'English' is preferred by employers if planning on becoming an English teacher.
English Language or English Literature? Does it even matter?
English Literature is considered the more 'academic' option of the two. English Language is to English Literature what Business Studies is to Economics.

If you like reading, analysing texts and thinking about how language is used, then choose English Literature and play with the big boys (or girls, or non-cis gendered students, etc etc).
wonderr
Rep:
?
A-level!
wonderr
Rep:
?
thank you for your reply!
(Original post by Reality Check)
English Literature is considered the more 'academic' option of the two. English Language is to English Literature what Business Studies is to Economics.

If you like reading, analysing texts and thinking about how language is used, then choose English Literature and play with the big boys (or girls, or non-cis gendered students, etc etc).
wonderr
Rep:
?
i would like to teach english abroad!
(Original post by Nx23)
I agree but it also depends what u wish to teach like u may want to expertise in language for example
hrusse2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay that's great. I do English-Lit A-Level if you want to ask any questions. As it is for A-Level I would highly recommend taking Lit (not biased I promise) because you can do either as a degree with an English Literature A-Level. You are unlikely to be accepted onto a Lit course at uni if you did a lang a-level. You could do a joint A-Level of Lit and Lang, however this is not looked upon highly and may limit your chances of doing either as they are popular subjects.
A-level!
wonderr
Rep:
?
Ah okay, thank you so much for your help!
Okay that's great. I do English-Lit A-Level if you want to ask any questions. As it is for A-Level I would highly recommend taking Lit (not biased I promise) because you can do either as a degree with an English Literature A-Level. You are unlikely to be accepted onto a Lit course at uni if you did a lang a-level. You could do a joint A-Level of Lit and Lang, however this is not looked upon highly and may limit your chances of doing either as they are popular subjects.
Nx23
Badges: 10
Report 1 year ago
ahh okeyyx
i would like to teach english abroad!
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do both, and I think both are euqal, but f*ck it, do literature if you like it.

Also, I think I'd like to address something quickly...

(Original post by Reality Check)
I mean, this all seems like the stuff an English language student could do too, and in a much broader sense as well, especially when it comes to analysing texts and thinking about how language is used.

When it comes to analysis in literature, you can get away without analysis of language levels, which is required for language.

When it comes to thinking about how language is used, English language students are taught about the history of the English language (albeit not much), other variants of language (global Englishes) and how language affects us in the workplace and other areas of life.

English language students also know how to write creatively and actually have to manipulate data and draw conclusions in their own investigation for the non-exam assessment.

I am a student that takes both, but I think that apart from the perception that English literature is 'more academic', these two subjects aren't so far apart in terms of demand. You can certainly still play with the 'big boys' in English language.
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 year ago
wonderr
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your insight!
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I do both, and I think both are euqal, but f*ck it, do literature if you like it.

Also, I think I'd like to address something quickly...

I mean, this all seems like the stuff an English language student could do too, and in a much broader sense as well, especially when it comes to analysing texts and thinking about how language is used.

When it comes to analysis in literature, you can get away without analysis of language levels, which is required for language.

When it comes to thinking about how language is used, English language students are taught about the history of the English language (albeit not much), other variants of language (global Englishes) and how language affects us in the workplace and other areas of life.

English language students also know how to write creatively and actually have to manipulate data and draw conclusions in their own investigation for the non-exam assessment.

I am a student that takes both, but I think that apart from the perception that English literature is 'more academic', these two subjects aren't so far apart in terms of demand. You can certainly still play with the 'big boys' in English language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads