University Decision Help For a Late applicant

Watch
Jasmine0400
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently studying Geography at Aberdeen University but plan to leave to do Law. I now have five offers to study Law in 2019/2020.

My main two are Reading and Kent University. I have an unconditional offer at Reading and a conditional offer at Kent which states I need a 2:1 at the end of the year. I do not know whether I will get into Kent as my results come out after the deadline. I have not seen any of the universities as I have been in Aberdeen past the deadlines. Both have the A-Level grades of AAB to get into. Which one do people think will be better?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jasmine0400)
I am currently studying Geography at Aberdeen University but plan to leave to do Law. I now have five offers to study Law in 2019/2020.

My main two are Reading and Kent University. I have an unconditional offer at Reading and a conditional offer at Kent which states I need a 2:1 at the end of the year. I do not know whether I will get into Kent as my results come out after the deadline. I have not seen any of the universities as I have been in Aberdeen past the deadlines. Both have the A-Level grades of AAB to get into. Which one do people think will be better?
Congratulations on the 5 offers.

I would say that Reading and Kent are similar in terms of reputation for Law (Kent maybe slightly higher but not significantly so). Does the location matter to you at all? Obviously they are both campus unis and are both situated in pleasant towns/cities but is either one more convenient for you? Also, how confident do you feel about coming out with a 2.1 at the end of your current course?
StudentRep Medway
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!
If you are worried about not achieving a 2:1 and later find that you didn't get the grades then, because you have the A-level grades, you could apply for Law at Kent through clearing. Although obviously there is no guarantee, it gives you another option!
I'm currently in my third year at Kent and I really love it here. The campus is really beautiful with loads of trees, fields, ponds and really stunning views over Canterbury from the centre of campus and some of the accommodation. There's a really friendly and relaxed vibe around campus as well which makes it a really nice place to study. There's always something going on on campus as well like a book sale, food festival or charity fundraiser. Canterbury town centre is just 20 minutes walk from campus as well. There's so many cafes, shops, bars, restaurants and of course the Cathedral which is surrounded in beautiful cobbled streets.
On the University of Kent website you can do virtual tours of the campus and the accommodation which could help you get a sense of what campus is like. Also if you take a look at the instagram stories on @Unikentlive instagram page, there's often clips of campus, tours, and student day-in-the-life style videos which could also help you see what it's all like!

Here is the link to the virtual tour webpage; https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/v...tours/student/

I hope that this all helps! If you have any questions about life at Kent at all then please feel free to ask

Jasmine0400
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The location is slightly important. Kent is more expensive to travel home and to live whilst Reading allows me to travel home whenever I wish and I more in my uni budgets.

I don't know how confident I am. I was in the hospital during my first set of exams so I have to 'retake' the exams during the summer but this means that my course work doesn't count either. It is all based on the exam which could swing either way.
(Original post by harrysbar)
Congratulations on the 5 offers.

I would say that Reading and Kent are similar in terms of reputation for Law (Kent maybe slightly higher but not significantly so). Does the location matter to you at all? Obviously they are both campus unis and are both situated in pleasant towns/cities but is either one more convenient for you? Also, how confident do you feel about coming out with a 2.1 at the end of your current course?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The location is slightly important. Kent is more expensive to travel home and to live whilst Reading allows me to travel home whenever I wish and I more in my uni budgets.

I don't know how confident I am. I was in the hospital during my first set of exams so I have to 'retake' the exams during the summer but this means that my course work doesn't count either. It is all based on the exam which could swing either way.
Taking those factors into account, I would personally Firm Reading since it's a similar standard to Kent, is better geographically and offers the unconditional. Having an unconditional would enable you to choose your accommodation now, which is another benefit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (70)
67.31%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise