Edinburgh student accommodation or private flat?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm really torn about where I want to live when I got Edinburgh in september! I have the option of student halls or recently ive been looking at flat shares.

I'm almost guaranteed halls with Edinburgh as it'll be my first year of study with them. I'll be going into 2nd year of a science course and I'll be 21 by the time I start. I know noone in Edinburgh and I think that's worth mentioning as I'm scared I won't be able to meet anyone. The halls really aren't to my liking. I'd rather have an ensuite and all the nicer accomodation blocks like shrubhill and Haddington are too far north and an hour out of George square. I would totally apply there but I can't say it's worth the commute every morning! The ones closer to George square really aren't that nice for me and they're all expensive. I'll be spending at least £600 if I want an ensuite, I'm not willing to compromise on this as I've heard horror stories about sharing toilets in halls, I also visited a couple and they were awfully kept😩. I want self catered accomodation too, so Pollock halls although lovely and a place I generally liked, isn't an option.

But recently I found a flat share right next to George Square, it's got 3 other roommates (two 2nd year guys who are 19 and one 4th year girl. It's a great 2 storey flat and looks so nice. There's 2 bathrooms too, so I'll only be sharing with one of them. It's really big and spacious and around £580 a month. So not much difference I guess.

I'm really torn as I'd love to do the flatshare but again I don't know how else I'd meet people especially as I'd be going into 2nd year, and they will all have already formed cliques and cemented friendship groups. I'd also be 21 and I know that shouldnt feel like a difference, I feel like it will impede speaking to others.

Is it worth going into halls? Like really worth it? I'd love to meet new people I just wish it wasn't so hard if I decided to go into private accomodation.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I'm just coming to an end in my first year of uni where i stayed in halls and honestly i didnt make many friends, and the only friends (1 i would call a friend, 2 others i would call acquaintances) that i did make in halls were people that were on my course so i would have probably made friends with them anyways. The person that i go out with a lot and talk to most in lectures lives on another campus on the other side of the city who i met in my first week at uni on my course.

For many people they usually find it easier to make friends in halls but thats because its kinda forced because you are living together, but i found that i made my friend on my course and many people do! Im super social awkward and never approach anyone so it really isnt that hard to make friends in uni even if your staying in private accommodation.

The flat you describe next to george square sounds perfect and you should definitely go for it! Don't be worried about making friends because even in 2nd year people still want to make them. Also being 21 really doesnt make a difference. The girl i hang out with is 21 and i didnt even know until it was her birthday half way through the year.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm just coming to an end in my first year of uni where i stayed in halls and honestly i didnt make many friends, and the only friends (1 i would call a friend, 2 others i would call acquaintances) that i did make in halls were people that were on my course so i would have probably made friends with them anyways. The person that i go out with a lot and talk to most in lectures lives on another campus on the other side of the city who i met in my first week at uni on my course.

For many people they usually find it easier to make friends in halls but thats because its kinda forced because you are living together, but i found that i made my friend on my course and many people do! Im super social awkward and never approach anyone so it really isnt that hard to make friends in uni even if your staying in private accommodation.

The flat you describe next to george square sounds perfect and you should definitely go for it! Don't be worried about making friends because even in 2nd year people still want to make them. Also being 21 really doesnt make a difference. The girl i hang out with is 21 and i didnt even know until it was her birthday half way through the year.
I guess so, I'm applying to medical sciences and it's a really small course and the few people I've spoken to have said that usually the direct entry students don't usually make friends with others as everyone finds it too awkward ? :/ I'm also really really shy and couldn't never approach people, I guess it would be easier if I was going into first year as everyone was new, but because it's 2nd year it feels a lot harder. So it really put me off and I thought perhaps halls would give me the chance to speak to others. I also heard there's lots of activities in halls and I was wondering if you've ever made use of them? Things like study spaces and bike storage etc, plus security are a plus for halls but I don't know if it's worth any more than just making use of this flatshare.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I didnt really make much use of the activities that the halls put on which i regret doing but was partly due to the fact that i didnt know anyone who went so i cant comment on that much. The security of being in halls is also a really big thing which has made me decide to stay in a studio flat next year in halls instead of a privately rented one, but thats just because the person i would have shared a flat with is an international student so cant rent privately and i dont want to live with random people again because im so shy. However i think if your living in a house with other people security won't be such a problem because there will usually be at least one person in the house at all times.

The university also puts on lots of activities too such as field trips and course bbqs and stuff which allow you meet your course mates so even if you dont stay in halls there is still so much stuff to do. In my experience people usually just go out to a bar or club rather than do the halls activities. Also i never used the study spaces in halls because they were usually always full and i just preferred going to the library where it is a lot quieter, but that might be different in different halls.

Hope this helps!
I guess so, I'm applying to medical sciences and it's a really small course and the few people I've spoken to have said that usually the direct entry students don't usually make friends with others as everyone finds it too awkward ? :/ I'm also really really shy and couldn't never approach people, I guess it would be easier if I was going into first year as everyone was new, but because it's 2nd year it feels a lot harder. So it really put me off and I thought perhaps halls would give me the chance to speak to others. I also heard there's lots of activities in halls and I was wondering if you've ever made use of them? Things like study spaces and bike storage etc, plus security are a plus for halls but I don't know if it's worth any more than just making use of this flatshare.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Also the people who say they dont make friends with entry students because its awkward are talking ****, In my experience it isnt awkward when you have to work with people who have already been there a year and im the most awkward person. I guess the only people who would find it awkward are the people who are too good for everyone else.
ohnoitssophie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I don't go to Edinburgh Uni but I've stayed in their accommodation for Fringe 3 times - Sciennes (x2) and Reigo Street (x1), both for around 5 weeks. The halls are fine, but not necessarily nice and I wouldn't feel particularly happy if I stayed at either all year paying a fortune for it.

I started uni in September aged 22 in London and I opted for comfort and even though I am a bit further out (20 minute commute on tube) in a private halls called Unite so I could get an en-suite the same price as staying central, and I'm really really glad I did. Halls is not worth it imo unless you're really into partying and want to be a part of that. If you're more of a home buddy like me, you are much better off putting your accommodation needs first, and would advise the flat share you've found already sounds good!

You will meet people on your course, and if they're cliquey, so what? If they're not friendly, they're not friends you'd want anyway. People from other courses will also be taking your modules, so it won't be all the same people for every class. Apparently the best way to meet people is through societies, and the uni will also have social events on, so you will have to take yourself to those and see happens there.

Making friends will take effort on your part - but I love Edinburgh partly because the people there are so lovely, so I don't think you will have a problem
student24ed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm currently staying in Shrubhill which I see you mentioned and honestly don't write it off too soon. It wasn't my first choice for accommodation, in fact I don't think it was really a lot of people's first choice here either but it is a great spot! It's very modern, clean and the staff are super friendly. There's pretty much everything you need right on your doorstep, compared to other halls like Salisbury Court or Pollock where you'd have to walk for 10-15 mins to get to the supermarket for your food shop.
The commute, yeah, is a bit of a pain but it's a lovely walk along North Bridge and past Princes Street to George Square. Most people here have a bus pass which costs £48 a month- I would say it's worth it as you can use that for the tram and airport bus when you're going home, and all other buses across Edinburgh so you definitely do get your money's worth considering a single ticket is £1.70.
In relation to the social aspect, I was quite unlucky and ended up with flatmates with completely different interests to me so I doubt I'll stay in contact with them after I move out and we're no longer living together, but I've made lots of friends through the regular social events they hold in the common room.
Personally, I found that my closest friends are from my course rather than where I am living.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about Shrubhill, Haddington or Murano (they're all on the same street), I'd be happy to answer!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by student24ed)
Hi, I'm currently staying in Shrubhill which I see you mentioned and honestly don't write it off too soon. It wasn't my first choice for accommodation, in fact I don't think it was really a lot of people's first choice here either but it is a great spot! It's very modern, clean and the staff are super friendly. There's pretty much everything you need right on your doorstep, compared to other halls like Salisbury Court or Pollock where you'd have to walk for 10-15 mins to get to the supermarket for your food shop.
The commute, yeah, is a bit of a pain but it's a lovely walk along North Bridge and past Princes Street to George Square. Most people here have a bus pass which costs £48 a month- I would say it's worth it as you can use that for the tram and airport bus when you're going home, and all other buses across Edinburgh so you definitely do get your money's worth considering a single ticket is £1.70.
In relation to the social aspect, I was quite unlucky and ended up with flatmates with completely different interests to me so I doubt I'll stay in contact with them after I move out and we're no longer living together, but I've made lots of friends through the regular social events they hold in the common room.
Personally, I found that my closest friends are from my course rather than where I am living.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about Shrubhill, Haddington or Murano (they're all on the same street), I'd be happy to answer!
Not entirely true as sainsburys is 5 mins away from salisbury. Plus you pass shops on the way back from lectures so its easy to pop in
I agree most closest friends are course over flat. But I was lucky with my flat and get along with them all really well and so have made good friends outwith the course.
OP, you will meet lots of new people- particularly in freshers and it is a good way to settle in. The common rooms in the accomodation tend to hold events quite often so you can meet people
student24ed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was referring to Lidl on Nicholson Street, as Sainsburys locals are quite expensive! There is a Lidl on Easter road, a 7 min walk or so from Shrubhill
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Not entirely true as sainsburys is 5 mins away from salisbury. Plus you pass shops on the way back from lectures so its easy to pop in
I agree most closest friends are course over flat. But I was lucky with my flat and get along with them all really well and so have made good friends outwith the course.
OP, you will meet lots of new people- particularly in freshers and it is a good way to settle in. The common rooms in the accomodation tend to hold events quite often so you can meet people
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by student24ed)
I was referring to Lidl on Nicholson Street, as Sainsburys locals are quite expensive! There is a Lidl on Easter road, a 7 min walk or so from Shrubhill
Yeah I'm aware. But you pass lidl on the way back from lectures normally and its a 10min walk from salisbury and pollock is catered so doesn't affect it.
Either way they're close
craigth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I’m moving into shurbhill this year any advice.
student24ed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! What do you want to know?😊Do you know which flat number you’re staying on yet? I joined a group chat on Facebook before which I found really helpful for getting to know people before moving there
craigth
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are there any activities organised? Do you know where the nearest doctors is? Is it is it very noisy at night? I don’t know room number yet but I do know I’m on the 4 floor of
student24ed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On the Saturday I arrived there was a pizza night and a welcome talk on the Sunday evening. The RAs and warden do a lot to make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive😊 there are activities organised throughout the whole year too, but especially at the start- the activities quiten down towards the end of the year.

In terms of doctors don’t make the same mistake I did and go to McEwan Hall like everyone else to sign up. Shrubhill, Murano and Haddington aren’t in the catchment area so you’ll be turned away. I signed up to Bellevue Medical centre, it’s a 15 min walk away. Sign up as soon as you can as they only have a few registration appointments a week- you have to call up to arrange an appointment.

I found it quite noisy at night at first, I was living on the first floor and facing the street so it was always going to be noisy I suppose! If you’re on the 4th floor you could be facing the courtyard area at the back so it could be quieter.

Just let me know if you have any more questions😊
prs.ng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys. I will move to Edinburgh this September and looking for a flat? May I ask for some recommendations for student letting's agents? Since I am an international student and already missed the accommodation offer from UoE so I am panicking. Thank you
craigth
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the student housing company still have rooms, but its £250 per week
mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey, I got an offer for uni accom but Im really not happy with it for a number of reasons (more so the room/flat, rather than the actual block) and I'm considering private student accomodation but I know that most aren't exclusive to university of Edinburgh students and I was wondering would that make much of a difference? Is it preferable to stay in student accommodation for first year surrounded with UofE students? Is there a difference or downside to staying with those from other unis and colleges?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.42%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.84%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.58%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (69)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed