The Student Room Group

Looking for advice on GDL/Law degree

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on whether to finish my degree at my university and go through a GDL conversion course afterwards or to switch my degree before my third year begins to the law degree.

I'm currently at Bangor University, due to finish my second year in a month or so however I always had an interest in law and I had 2 law modules as part of my Economics course this year and I have a lot more interest in law than my economics course and it is not likely to change. I'm currently 20, so changing degree to law would mean I would graduate at 23.

So my questions are:
-Would it be better to finish up my economics degree then take a GDL conversion course, however I don't think I will achieve a first, or to switch degrees to law immediately. Bear in mind I am not well-off, so neither option is great as the GDL can be expensive however I would most likely have to start from year 1 if doing the law degree.
-Is the GDL comparable to a law degree? I would rather have to owe a few extra thousand than have a lesser qualification for life.
-Would I be qualified to practice law in a foreign country for example China with a GDL or even a law degree from a university in the UK? (Obviously not English law in China)
-What would you advise as my most feasible option?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any advice. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest