The Student Room Group

Discharging of capacitors

Can someone pls explain to me the process of discharging of capacitors and how the current, voltage and etc change during the process?
Hi there, the key point of discharging a capacitor is that it discharges through a resistance.

It ‘could’ be a resistance of zero ohms, i.e. a short circuit, and the capacitor would discharge instantly, often with a bang if it was a decent size of a few microfarads, but in the real and theoretical worlds there is usually something called a time-constant of discharge (and also tc of charge) and this happens through a resistance of between a few ohms to a few megohms.

The discharge time of the capacitor & resistance (leads and connectors and actual resistors) in the circuit is then given by tau = c * r

as it (charging & discharging) is an exponential process, with natural logs involved etc, it is traditional to measure the discharge from (say, initial)100% charge level to 36.8% of its initial charge level.

Whilst charging, tend to consider the time taken to go from zero volts to 63.2% of applied DC voltage

See for pictures (of volts & amps) at places like https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_2.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by LuigiMario
Hi there, the key point of discharging a capacitor is that it discharges through a resistance.

It ‘could’ be a resistance of zero ohms, i.e. a short circuit, and the capacitor would discharge instantly, often with a bang if it was a decent size of a few microfarads, but in the real and theoretical worlds there is usually something called a time-constant of discharge (and also tc of charge) and this happens through a resistance of between a few ohms to a few megohms.

The discharge time of the capacitor & resistance (leads and connectors and actual resistors) in the circuit is then given by tau = c * r

as it (charging & discharging) is an exponential process, with natural logs involved etc, it is traditional to measure the discharge from (say, initial)100% charge level to 36.8% of its initial charge level.

Whilst charging, tend to consider the time taken to go from zero volts to 63.2% of applied DC voltage

See for pictures (of volts & amps) at places like https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_2.html

Thank you so so muchhh

Quick Reply

Latest