The Student Room Group

If I fail my final 2 units will it ruin my chances of a 2:1?

I've had a rocky 3rd year at uni to say the least. I have been working really hard on my dissertation but I don't exactly expect it to receive a great mark. My last two units have been disastrous, unit (a) involves a 3000 word essay on a topic I absolutely hate and I haven't even started writing it yet (All my assignments are due 10th May) so I'm doubtful that I'll get anything above 40% and unit (b) is a group project and my group have been terrible..I've tried to force them all together so we can get our work done but it hasn't been happening so I'm nearly 100% sure I'm going to fail that unit too.

My grades in year 2 were okay. Each unit is worth 20 credits and last year I got 70,70,60, 62, 58, 66. And this year so far I've gotten 64 and 54. My dissertation is worth 40 credits and I doubt I'll get any higher than 60 on it.

If I fail my last two units will it ruin my chances of a 2:1? I've tried to work it out with a uni grade calculator but haven't had much luck
May I ask what is 2:1?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
May I ask what is 2:1?

It's 60 - 70%
Original post by Azurrex
It's 60 - 70%

nop

These days, it’s anything from 55% to 65%

Ridiculous grade inflation and that means students getting 2:1s like kids being handed sweets
I don't know, but I suggest starting to work on unit (a) instead of creating an account on a forum to ask if you will fail or not
hello i can help you complete the homework if that is okay with you
Reply 6
No it is 60% and up

Original post by searching123job
nop

These days, it’s anything from 55% to 65%

Ridiculous grade inflation and that means students getting 2:1s like kids being handed sweets
Original post by Azurrex
No it is 60% and up

You haven't told us the weighting between second and third years.
It depends on a number of things

1. Some universities will not allow you to fail units so this is the first thing you need to check. Many may not allow you to graduate with two fails
2. the weighting your university puts on second year/third year

In Second year you go an average of 64.3%.

Assuming you get 60% for your dissertation and get 39% for the two yo think you will fail you would have 62,,52, 60, 60 (2 for dissertation as it is 40 credits) 39, 39 Giving you an average of 52.6

If there was 50/50 weighting for the two years that would give you total of 58.45%

if it was 1/3 second year 2/3 third year your mark wold be 56.5%

Both of these are a 2:2 but some universities look at those about 58% (or something similar and sometimes move them up to the next grade in particular circumstances (for example at least 50% of your marks are at the higher grade)

so without knowing the rules and regs of your university it is impossible to say- but it seems unlikely that you would get a 2:1 in these circumstances

If I were you I would talk to your personal tutor ASAP - do you have any extenuating circumstances that could get you an extension ?

The most important thing to find out is what they do if you a fail a unit or more than one as this could result in you not getting an honours degree at all
You still havre 2 weeks till the deadline so if you really put your mind to it I am sure you could get a pass .

Original post by Azurrex
I've had a rocky 3rd year at uni to say the least. I have been working really hard on my dissertation but I don't exactly expect it to receive a great mark. My last two units have been disastrous, unit (a) involves a 3000 word essay on a topic I absolutely hate and I haven't even started writing it yet (All my assignments are due 10th May) so I'm doubtful that I'll get anything above 40% and unit (b) is a group project and my group have been terrible..I've tried to force them all together so we can get our work done but it hasn't been happening so I'm nearly 100% sure I'm going to fail that unit too.

My grades in year 2 were okay. Each unit is worth 20 credits and last year I got 70,70,60, 62, 58, 66. And this year so far I've gotten 64 and 54. My dissertation is worth 40 credits and I doubt I'll get any higher than 60 on it.

If I fail my last two units will it ruin my chances of a 2:1? I've tried to work it out with a uni grade calculator but haven't had much luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending