UniAdvice125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone else in the same position as me?
Have to pick between these two courses for my firm choice and really not sure which one to choose.
I have done all the possible research for both the courses and still can't decide.
Does anyone have any views on either of these courses/doing them?

Thanks
HangeeTw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ucl econ vs ww econ will be worthy of a discussion. But management science vs econ, the latter is a no brainer. MS is a soft subject while econ in uk is regarded as one of the most prestigious courses amongst top tier uni (along with subjects like maths, nat sci etc.)
toby4413
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniAdvice125)
Anyone else in the same position as me?
Have to pick between these two courses for my firm choice and really not sure which one to choose.
I have done all the possible research for both the courses and still can't decide.
Does anyone have any views on either of these courses/doing them?

Thanks
UCL is expensive and it's course is overrated
UniAdvice125
Rep:
?
Its true the Econ degree is more prestige than MS, however Management Science isn't the same as Management so I would not call it a soft degree at all, from who I've talked to the degree is extremely intense, more work than an econ degree.
I've researched into both courses and job prospects are very similar, if not slightly better for UCL which is surprising (hope to go into investment banking) but also MS allows the option to also go into tech firms too.
MS has been taken from MIT and Stanford and is now being offered by UCL and the modules interest me more than Econ honestly. But it all comes down to prestige of Warwick Econ vs enjoyment of UCL MS, which I simply can't decide...
(Original post by HangeeTw)
ucl econ vs ww econ will be worthy of a discussion. But management science vs econ, the latter is a no brainer. MS is a soft subject while econ in uk is regarded as one of the most prestigious courses amongst top tier uni (along with subjects like maths, nat sci etc.)
UniAdvice125
Rep:
?
Not fussed over money, can you elaborate on your view of the course?
(Original post by toby4413)
UCL is expensive and it's course is overrated
UniGuru25
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lifestyle has to factor into your decision. UCL is in central London (albeit in leafy Bloomsbury) and Warwick is a bit further out in the sticks of Coventry. One is hustle and bustle (and arguably better career prospects since it is so close to the City) and the other is more rural. Which would you prefer? Both have good reputations but for me UCL wins it. Even if the course is not as highly regarded as Economics, UCL has a real international reputation. It's consistently raked in the top 10 uni's in the world in whichever international league table you look at. In the UK it only comes third or fourth to Oxford, Cambridge and sometimes Imperial. If you studied at UCL, any employer worldwide will be impressed.
That's not to dump on Warwick - they're also well regarded overseas but UCL is more impressive.
toby4413
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniGuru25)
Lifestyle has to factor into your decision. UCL is in central London (albeit in leafy Bloomsbury) and Warwick is a bit further out in the sticks of Coventry. One is hustle and bustle (and arguably better career prospects since it is so close to the City) and the other is more rural. Which would you prefer? Both have good reputations but for me UCL wins it. Even if the course is not as highly regarded as Economics, UCL has a real international reputation. It's consistently raked in the top 10 uni's in the world in whichever international league table you look at. In the UK it only comes third or fourth to Oxford, Cambridge and sometimes Imperial. If you studied at UCL, any employer worldwide will be impressed.
That's not to dump on Warwick - they're also well regarded overseas but UCL is more impressive.
It's important to understand that the international ranking is based on a range of degrees, for example ucl's education course is very top in the world whereas engineering isn't. And you shouldn't prioritize international ranking when it comes to choose course.
Last edited by toby4413; 1 year ago
UniGuru25
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Agreed. This is is why I mentioned the lifestyle and where they're based.
(Original post by toby4413)
It's important to understand that the international ranking is based on a range of degrees, for example ucl's education course is very top in the world whereas engineering isn't. And you shouldn't prioritize international ranking when it comes to choose course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads