The Student Room Group

Bristol or Durham?

So I'm stuck between choosing Bristol or Durham as firm choice to study Geography. Normally I would put Bristol as my firm and Durham as my insurance, but here's the thing. Normally for Durham the offer is A*AA, but they gave me an offer of AAB. They also said if I put Durham as my firm it'll be lowered to ABB.

Bristol's offer is AAA, which I might be able to achieve if I really push myself, but I'm not sure. I love both unis, I'm just really not sure what to do here :frown:

Bristol already has a year abroad in the degree (which is what I want), and the city and teaching seem fantastic. Durham is ranked really high for geography, and I do love how secluded it is. I guess I prefer Bristol a bit more, but Durham seems like it would be better for employment! I have no idea what to do...
Original post by merryexotica
So I'm stuck between choosing Bristol or Durham as firm choice to study Geography. Normally I would put Bristol as my firm and Durham as my insurance, but here's the thing. Normally for Durham the offer is A*AA, but they gave me an offer of AAB. They also said if I put Durham as my firm it'll be lowered to ABB.

Bristol's offer is AAA, which I might be able to achieve if I really push myself, but I'm not sure. I love both unis, I'm just really not sure what to do here :frown:

Bristol already has a year abroad in the degree (which is what I want), and the city and teaching seem fantastic. Durham is ranked really high for geography, and I do love how secluded it is. I guess I prefer Bristol a bit more, but Durham seems like it would be better for employment! I have no idea what to do...

Durham
Reply 2
U

You answered your own question you’ve made a clear preference towards Bristol put that as your firm and if you get AAA great your in, but if you get AAB you’ll end up going to Durham.
Don’t overthink it my dude Reputation isn’t as nearly as important as where you would be happier, plus Bristol has a bloody good reputation
Yeah I've thought about it to death lol, thank you!
Original post by Okay123
U

You answered your own question you’ve made a clear preference towards Bristol put that as your firm and if you get AAA great your in, but if you get AAB you’ll end up going to Durham.
Don’t overthink it my dude Reputation isn’t as nearly as important as where you would be happier, plus Bristol has a bloody good reputation

Ignore the grades, and just decide where you want to go, pick your favourite put that as the firm then the other as insurance. I can't emphasise this enough ignore the grades offers and just pick where u prefer.
Reply 5
Like everyone else has said, ignore the grades and go the one you genuinely want to and would be happiest at.

I’m from Bristol and can say it’s an amazing city - plenty to do, picturesque and great student/nightlife; there aren’t many better places to be a student in my opinion.

Durham is completely contracting as it’s a small, somewhat dreary city up north with relatively little to do. You might prefer that however, while it does have the appeal of the collegiate system.

If you want to live down South in a bigger city with plenty to do, good atmosphere and reputation, go with Bristol. If you’d rather somewhere quieter and more quaint, with less to do, go to Durham.

They’re very different so you must have a preference, but try not to factor grades into it.

You're overthinking it.

If Bristol is the one you prefer, you should Firm Bristol. You will get in if you achieve AAA and they may even be a bit flexible on results day, who knows?

If not, you have the Durham offer as your Insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending