AYBG
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi, I actually sat both of these, but I forgot what the themes were for the June 2007 and Jan 2008 paper respectively?
I ask, because I'm resitting this paper for the second time on monday
and my teacher last year said we can rule out the latest themes...
For example, I know its unlikely I'll get a question on Youth because that popped up in Jan 07.
Help please?
Dom1989
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(If you do OCR) - Well of the questions in January 2008 was about whether or not Hitler was a strong/weak dictator, I can't remember the other question on that paper.
Although I did June 2007 I cannot remember any of the questions. I would advise you to revise all the topics because you cannot just assume that just because it was on the last paper it wouldn't be on again! That said the topic that was on last should take a lower priority than the ones that were not on!
AYBG
Good advice, and yes its OCR...
Anyone know what the June paper was then?
Budgie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AYBG)
Good advice, and yes its OCR...
Anyone know what the June paper was then?
If I remember correctly it was on opposition last year. But I would concur with what was said above; that definitely does not mean you can rule it out! For the OCR AS Russia 1894-1917 module, my friends who took the retake told me that it was almost the exact same questions in January again.
AYBG
Hurm....
Yes I think I shall prioritise but not rule out
For this paper at least, the soonest there's been a repeat of a topic is 3 years (Opposition and Resistance popped up in Jan 01 and Jan 04)
Thanks, Budgie! Can anyone confirm that it was Opposition in Jun 07?
Dom1989
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AYBG)
Hurm....
Yes I think I shall prioritise but not rule out
For this paper at least, the soonest there's been a repeat of a topic is 3 years (Opposition and Resistance popped up in Jan 01 and Jan 04)
Thanks, Budgie! Can anyone confirm that it was Opposition in Jun 07?
Yeah I think opposition was on now that it has been mentioned... The June 07 paper was on a Wednesday and I remember it being a difficult day- I had 6 exams to do!
NoEffin&Jeffin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Any chance it'll be the Holocaust? I'm resitting and I really don't want to have to revise the Holocaust again.
Shuky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NoEffin&Jeffin)
Any chance it'll be the Holocaust? I'm resitting and I really don't want to have to revise the Holocaust again.
hahaha, i want it to be about jews and the holocaust, as that is quite easy compared to the others.

Yes it was about opposition in june 07, jan 06 was jews and june 06 was about the nazi revolution (consolidation of power)
NoEffin&Jeffin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So it could be the Holocaust then? Arg.
AYBG
Could be about Jews, but more likely (in order):

1. Women + Family
= Religion
= Culture
4. Propaganda and Hitler Myth
5. Police State (structure etc)
6. Admission to Power
7. Impact of War

I'm gonna revise in that order...
thanks for your help guys!
NoEffin&Jeffin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for the heads up, AYBG.

Anyone got any tips for the actual technique of answering the questions?
x_LiNk_x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The past papers are on the OCR website.

Why not use them to find out what has came up in previous years?
AYBG
I had already looked there...
no luck
The most recent paper they had was Jan07
Conkermon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jun 2001 - Youth (2) A
Jan 2002 - Hitlers Style of Rule (2) B
Jun 2002 - Race/Anti-Semitism (2) C
Jan 2003 - Consolidation of Power (2) D
Jun 2003 - Propaganda (1)
Jan 2004 - Resistance (2) E
Jun 2004 - NOT SURE? I think I read it was on the Nazi Police State, is this correct + is this a topic?
Jan 2005 - Admission to Power (1)
Jun 2005 - Impact of the War on Hitler's Popularity (1)
Jan 2006 - Final Solution = Race/Anti-Semitism (2) C
Jun 2006 - Consolidation of Power (2) D
Jan 2007 - Youth Movements + Volksgemeinschaft (2) A
Jun 2007 - Resistance (2) E
Jan 2008 - Hitler's Style of Rule (2) B

So according to this the only topics not to have come up twice are: Propaganda, Admission to power and the impact of the war on hitler's popularity. The other topic from Jun 2004 I think was the Nazi police state so I suppose that is another option. Although I'm not sure what that topic covers and it might come under race/anti-semitism. If the latter is correct then it means it could be on any topic if they have started doing topics for a third time.

Someone check your folder for the Jun 04 documents, I don't have it.
AYBG
June 04 was Police State, yes - that involves discussion on how the Nazis were organised (SS etc)
Don't forget the three that have never come up - although, obviously, theyre not popular topics with OCR, they might come up at any time!
Conkermon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What topics have never come up?

Can someone outline the main aspects of the police state that I'd need to know and then I'll look at them in more detail.. Worrying as I'm retaking and we never studied it so I have no notes on it and no own knowledge...
AYBG
Women + Family
Religion
Culture

I'll copy up for you some notes on the Police State in a sec...
AYBG
The SS had been formed in 1925 as an elite bodyguard for Hitler, but it remained a relatively minor section of the SA until Himmler became its leader in 1929. By 1933 the SS numbered 52,000, and it had established a reputation for blind obedience and total commitment to the Nazi cause. Himmler had also created in 1931 a special security service, the SD, to act as the Party's own internal polic force. In the course of 1933-4 he assumed control of all the political police in the Lander, including the Gestapo in Prussia. Thus, Hitler turned to Himmler's SS to carry out the purge of June 1934. The loyalty and brutal efficiency of the SS on the Night of the Long Knives had its rewards, for it now became an independent organisation within the Party. Two years later all police powers were unified under Himmler's control as 'Chief of the German Police' and in 1939 all party and state police organisations were amalgamated into one by the creation of the RSHA.

TBC...
AYBG
The SS-Police-SD system had grown into one of the key power blocs in the Third Reich. It assumed responsibility for all security matters; the concentration camps were run by its Death's Head Units; it formed its own military divisions, which were to develop into the elite fighting units of the Waffen SS; and increasingly it became involved in the various racial issues.

With the onset of the war, it grew increasingly powerful. As German troops gained control over more and more areas of Europe, the power of the SS was inevitably enhanced. The job of internal security became much greater - by 1945 the Gestapo alone had grown to 40,000, and SS officers were granted Draconian powers to crush opposition. The Waffen SS increased from three divisions in 1939 to thirty-five in 1945, so that it rivalled the power of the Army. Above all, the SS became responsible for the creation of the 'New Order' in eastern Europe - this provided fully exploited opportunities for plunder and power on a massive scale.

However, their powers were not quite Orwellian - the Gestapo hugely relied on public informers and the SS was prone to rivalries and disagreements.

The SS-Police-SD system under Himmler not only preserved the Nazi regime by its brutal, repressive and often arbitrary policies of law enforcement, but gradually extended its influence into all the crucial areas of life within the Third Reich. In this way it evolved over time into the key interest group in the Third Reich.

(P.S. Go watch Fight Club to really get a feel of the SS mentality!)
Conkermon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AYBG)
The SS-Police-SD system had grown into one of the key power blocs in the Third Reich. It assumed responsibility for all security matters; the concentration camps were run by its Death's Head Units; it formed its own military divisions, which were to develop into the elite fighting units of the Waffen SS; and increasingly it became involved in the various racial issues.

With the onset of the war, it grew increasingly powerful. As German troops gained control over more and more areas of Europe, the power of the SS was inevitably enhanced. The job of internal security became much greater - by 1945 the Gestapo alone had grown to 40,000, and SS officers were granted Draconian powers to crush opposition. The Waffen SS increased from three divisions in 1939 to thirty-five in 1945, so that it rivalled the power of the Army. Above all, the SS became responsible for the creation of the 'New Order' in eastern Europe - this provided fully exploited opportunities for plunder and power on a massive scale.

However, their powers were not quite Orwellian - the Gestapo hugely relied on public informers and the SS was prone to rivalries and disagreements.

The SS-Police-SD system under Himmler not only preserved the Nazi regime by its brutal, repressive and often arbitrary policies of law enforcement, but gradually extended its influence into all the crucial areas of life within the Third Reich. In this way it evolved over time into the key interest group in the Third Reich.

(P.S. Go watch Fight Club to really get a feel of the SS mentality!)
Nice one thanks a lot! I dont suppose you have that paper and know what the actual question was? Also what textbook do you use? Hopefully googlebooks will have a preview and I can peruse the relevant section.

I really hope its on the impact of the war on Hitler's popularity, not that much own knowledge for that and it's a generally nice topic.

I guess propaganda would be nice as well as it encompasses Youth movements / resistance / Volksgemeinschaft so there is plenty to talk about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads