The Student Room Group

DofE

What is the bare minimum I can eat on dofe (silver)
I’d recommend not eating the bare minimum because you’ll be hungry and grumpy which is bad for not just you, but your whole group. For silver you usually need lunch and dinner for day one, breakfast, lunch and dinner for day two and then breakfast and lunch for day three. On top of that you’ll need loads of snacks and water.
For breakfast I’d recommend instant an porridge pot and a cereal bar or those boil in the bag breakfasts. I took sandwich thins for lunch with meat and cheese for day one and then just cheese for the other two days. You’ve got lots of options for dinner, we shared pasta and stir-in sauce as a group one night and then each had a boil in the bag meal the next night but you could do the same thing both nights or have something else. Dried fruits, cereal bars, chocolate (if it’s not too hot), pepperami and things like that are amazing for snacks but I’d divide them up into days before you go so you don’t eat all of them in one day.
Double check with your leaders whether or not they will give you water throughout the expedition because that will affect how much you need to carry for yourself. Remember to keep some for cooking dinner at the camp. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Why are you asking? Are you concerned about packing weight/ space or are you uncomfortable with eating or is it another reason?

As far as not wanting to eat a lot goes, you'll be burning it off so a proper sized lunch (like two sandwiches and a snack) and a full dinner (like a bowl of pasta or rice) and something like a couple of cereal bars or a bowl of porridge for breakfast. That's a good base amount to be eating. Any less and you're probably going to struggle. You may find you want some snacks to help give you more energy through the day. The extra activity you're doing means you will need a good amount of food to fuel you and that you will burn off a good chunk of it. Also a day or two of extra food isn't going to make any difference to your weight anyway.

As far as weight and packing space goes what I've said above will be fine. You can go for things like powdered sauce for pasta to cut down a little as long as there will be drinking water wherever you are staying. At the end of the day you need the food so you can carry the rest of your stuff. Think about lighter options though. Limit packaging where you can, check if water will be provided, only take what you'll need (if you like seasoning stuff put a bit of pepper or whatever in a zipseal bag), think about what has the most energy crammed into the smallest space (no salads or other light foods- go for pasta, rice, potato, meat and things like that).

Sorry if neither of the things I talked about were why you asked. Either way that's about what you should be going for per day (plus a good lot of water and some little snacks like nuts or cereal bars). You can also discuss with your group and your leaders because it will depend a bit of what your expedition is like.
For a light breakfast i would recommend:individually wrapped crepes or crossiants,mini cereal boxes or if you wanted something hot maybe one of those porridge tubs where you can just add hot water (you can boil the water using your trangia/stove)
For lunches i would seriously just pack 3 sandwiches with your fave filling and make sure to pack other light snacks to boost your energy (apples,crisps,or energy bars)
For dinner i would say portion out 1 serving of something starchy and filling for each night with a veg side and sauce.So for one night you could boil spaghetti and add a mix of peppers and sweetcorn (this can be prepared at home and put in ziplock bags) and add tomato sauce which you can get in handy pouches from supermarkets.
Reply 4
It’s not that I don’t want to eat, it’s just I don’t know how.. I’m not really sure how to explain it other than I don’t know how to eat without starving or binging so I guess I’m trying to compromise like I’m not stupid I did bronze dofe and I know how many cals you can burn from it. But I’m used to eating less than one meal a day/ inhaling the contents of my fridge over a weekend. Help please :/
Reply 5
Original post by Ariaallie
It’s not that I don’t want to eat, it’s just I don’t know how.. I’m not really sure how to explain it other than I don’t know how to eat without starving or binging so I guess I’m trying to compromise like I’m not stupid I did bronze dofe and I know how many cals you can burn from it. But I’m used to eating less than one meal a day/ inhaling the contents of my fridge over a weekend. Help please :/

Ah okay. Sorry if what I was saying sounded at all condescending, it's just I know that is something a lot of people have some issues with so I took a bit of a guess. :smile:

It sounds like you're reasonably well set for dofe as far as the planning goes. I would pack and plan assuming that logical amount and then just do the best you can while there. You might find that if you have a hard time getting your body to eat it will be easier for you to snack. So I would pack things that you're more able to nibble on the go or in quick breaks rather than needing to eat it all in one go. Things like cheese strings, cereal bars, sandwiches cut up into more manageable portions, mini wraps, nuts and fruit etc.

That's just to get you through dofe. It seems there's something going on beind the scenes for you thats making eating a challenge and hard to control. I would see your GP about that and also have a think about any other odd things or symptoms you might have. Things like if you get tummy aches or heart burn, if you're struggling at all with mental health etc. Giving your doctor some background info can help them work things out quicker and some things that wouldn't seem related could be.
There can be a fair few reasons that you could have a difficult relationship with food. Some are more physical and some are more mental. I used to (and still do to some extent) find it hard to eat a reasonable amount in one sitting. I would always leave food on my plate cos I was full then end up needing to snack later. I've found it very helpful to eat throughout the day or spread my dinner over a couple of hours. It's also just improved a bit over time.
It could end up helping you a whole lot if you see your GP and have a chat about osme of the potential causes. Even if you can't find the cause it could help you to work out ways to manage it better and not find it such a confusing burden (I still have no idea what my issue is, but it's not so much an issue anymore cos I can manage it).

Quick Reply

Latest