Application for PhD Opportunity with a Pass Master

Watch
muhammad1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm Muhammad, from Malaysia. I graduated with LLB (2.1) from a local university in Malaysia, LLM (Pass) from Newcastle University UK and Pg Diploma in Public Management (CGPA 3.8/4.00) from a local public higher learning institute in Malaysia.

After graduated from Newcastle University, I was offered to join the public sector as an Administrative and Diplomatic Officer. In the office, I am given the responsibility to monitor and supervise the Water Services Industry. In the course of doing my job, I discovered a few problems related to the Water Services Industry In Malaysia, particularly in the state of Perlis. Among the issues that I discover are the high Non-Revenue Water (63%) and bad treated water quality (Does not meet requirement and parameter provided by the Ministry of Health).

Recently I have secured a scholarship to pursue a Ph.D. in the UK, and I'm planning to do research on water supply management with propose topic, "Factors influencing the performance of water services industry in Malaysia. A case study in Perlis'.

I have applied a few universities such as Edinburgh, York, Newcastle, and Kent. However, Edin rejected my application and for the rest, they are still reviewing the application.

The reason why Edin rejected my application is that I just got a pass Master (58% overall and 67% for dissertation). Hence, I really need advice from all of you, which uni that accepts pass master as their PhD entry requirement because I need to secure the placement before 30 May, or else my scholarship will be revoked.
Last edited by muhammad1234; 1 year ago
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I were you if go on each UK university's website and see which ones accept a pass grade, but usually you're undergraduate matters not your masters and you got a 2:1 so that is good. I would apply to every university you are interested in attending, you've got nothing to lose!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by muhammad1234)
Hi, I'm Muhammad, from Malaysia. I graduated with LLB (2.1) from a local university in Malaysia, LLM (Pass) from Newcastle University UK and Pg Diploma in Public Management (CGPA 3.8/4.00) from a local public higher learning institute in Malaysia.

After graduated from Newcastle University, I was offered to join the public sector as an Administrative and Diplomatic Officer. In the office, I am given the responsibility to monitor and supervise the Water Services Industry. In the course of doing my job, I discovered a few problems related to the Water Services Industry In Malaysia, particularly in the state of Perlis. Among the issues that I discover are the high Non-Revenue Water (63%) and bad treated water quality (Does not meet requirement and parameter provided by the Ministry of Health).

Recently I have secured a scholarship to pursue a Ph.D. in the UK, and I'm planning to do research on water supply management with propose topic, "Factors influencing the performance of water services industry in Malaysia. A case study in Perlis'.

I have applied a few universities such as Edinburgh, York, Newcastle, and Kent. However, Edin rejected my application and for the rest, they are still reviewing the application.

The reason why Edin rejected my application is that I just got a pass Master (58% overall and 67% for dissertation). Hence, I really need advice from all of you, which uni that accepts pass master as their PhD entry requirement because I need to secure the placement before 30 May, or else my scholarship will be revoked.
Universities need to know that you will be able to cope with PhD level research, and unfortunately your master's classification doesn't necessarily reflect that. If the universities only have a certain intake of PhD students each year, then a pass at master's level may not be competitive enough compared to applicants with Merit or Distinction at master's level.

The best thing you can do is contact any universities that you've applied to or are interested in applying to, and ask them if they were consider you.
muhammad1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you for your reply. I've matriculated into the University of Dundee for my PhD. It's really a great uni with excellent support, especially for research students.
Eleanor TTR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Congratulations! That's great, I hope all goes extremely well for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed