The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

University of the Arts London-Postgraduate 2019

Hello!

My name is Zoe and I am currently studying MA Printmaking at Camberwell UAL. Before starting the course in September 2018 I did my BA Printmaking at the University of Brighton which I graduated in 2018.

In the final year of my BA I felt my art practice was at a exciting point and I wanted to expand and explore techniques and processes further. Visiting the facilities at UAL Camberwell I was thrilled by the technical resources available to students and the technicians extensive knowledge. There is a real sense of community at UAL Camberwell and I knew it was the place I wanted to study at!

Throughout my time at BA I worked closely with the outreach team which consisted of teaching and running workshops within the local community and people who may have not had access to the arts before. This has continued into my post graduate studies and I have recently become a UAL Outreach Ambassador running workshops for a variety of ages and skills.

That's a brief outline about my past education and why I wanted to continue my studies into postgraduate but please let me know by sending a message or replying to this thread if you have any questions about postgraduate studies!

Could anything from application, interview process, the cost of living, housing, access to technical resources, tutor time, careers and employment, timetables, living in London anything and everything!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Zoe
Reply 1
Hi, I'm currently entering my final year for BA Visual Communication at Leeds Art Uni this September and i'm planning to carry on with postgraduate at UAL.My practice varies a lot between photography and illustration but not until second year, i've discovered my passion for graphic design. My goal is to work towards art direction and I was wondering if the MA Design for Art Direction or any MA Graphic Design at UAL would be right for me, considering coming from a multidisciplinary background that focus solely on communication.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by nqm.cmyk
Hi, I'm currently entering my final year for BA Visual Communication at Leeds Art Uni this September and i'm planning to carry on with postgraduate at UAL.My practice varies a lot between photography and illustration but not until second year, i've discovered my passion for graphic design. My goal is to work towards art direction and I was wondering if the MA Design for Art Direction or any MA Graphic Design at UAL would be right for me, considering coming from a multidisciplinary background that focus solely on communication.

Hello nqm.cmyk! Hope you are well! Okay great is there any particular campuses within UAL you were looking at?

Camberwell UAL offers at postgraduate MA level; Designer Maker, Graphic Design Communication, Illustration, Printmaking, Graduate Diploma Illustration, Drawing and Painting.

London College of Communication offers MA Graphic Media Design. MA Graphic Media Design explores the use of graphic design as a critical tool to probe the complexities of contemporary visual culture.

Central Saint Martins offers MA Graphic Communication Design. As the ‘carrier signal of the 21st century’, graphic communication design concerns every sphere of human life.It impacts profoundly on culture, technology, social justice, economics, the built environment, globalisation, policy, sustainability and much more. MA Graphic Communication Design at Central Saint Martins promotes a shared exploration of an ever-developing subject while enabling your progression as an individual designer. Through intensive and original practice-led research, you will develop an independent and critical attitude with a view to producing relevant and unexpected perspectives on and for the world.

Graphic Design Communication and Illustration may be interesting for you? At Camberwell MA Graphic Design Communication encourages a broad and diverse approach to thinking and practice that helps students shape engaging and imaginative design solutions whereas as the Illustration course demands strong voices and entrepreneurial image-makers who can tell their own stories.

At Camberwell they encourage as to think through making and students are encouraged to work over the wide range of workshops available to students. This ranges from ceramics, woodwork, metalwork, printmaking, letterpress to photography and laser-cutting. Through this making there is a real sense of community within the students.

Maybe it would be worth for you to attend a MA open day at one of our campuses so you can have a feel of the facilities, talk to staff and students and just have a real idea of what happens at our campuses and decide for yourself if UAL is right for you!

Here is the link for the open days! If you cant attend these set days you will also be able to book in a tour for yourself at a time which is suited for yourself.

https://www.arts.ac.uk/open-days?collection=ual-eventnews-prod&query=!nullsearch&start_rank=1&sort=relevance&f.Type|type=Open_Day

Take care and let me know if you have any more questions! Have a fab weekend, zoe :smile:
Hello! I've just been offered a place at Camberwell on the Graduate Diploma Illustration and the MA Illustration... anybody else out there starting one of those in September? I'm probably going for the Grad Dip as my previous degree was in Maths and I've been working for a little while.
Reply 4
Hi Zoe, I'm applying to the postgraduate certificate in Fashion Buying and Merchandising at UAL. I have a phone interview coming up and was wondering if you had any idea what format they usually consist of or what kind of questions they ask?ThanksNiamh
Original post by nmca68
Hi Zoe, I'm applying to the postgraduate certificate in Fashion Buying and Merchandising at UAL. I have a phone interview coming up and was wondering if you had any idea what format they usually consist of or what kind of questions they ask?ThanksNiamh

Hi Niamh,

I hope you are well. First of all congratulations on your interview!

Interviews are really a chance for the course leaders to find out more about yourself, what your interests are, and why you chose to apply to this course! Be prepared to talk about why you, your skills and experiences, why this course and what you hope to get from it career wise. Also be prepared to ask some questions yourself back to the course tutor.

To prepare for the interview, I would reread over your personal statement as a lot of questions will be based around what you wrote in your personal statement and essay. Be confident in what your saying. Is there any artists or designers you love at the moment? This will demonstrate your area of interest to the interviewers. I would also reread the selection criteria on the UAL website and match up your answers as this is what the interviewers will be looking for. (the link is here for you if you scroll down ) https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/fashion-business/postgraduate/postgraduate-certificate-fashion-buying-and-merchandising-lcf#apply

This is also a helpful link to have a look at about interview preparation; https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/apply/after-you-apply/interview-preparation

To prepare I would make some notes of possible answers so you can have some prompts on the day of the interview and also prepare some questions for the course tutors as this demonstrates you are enthusiastic about the course!

I hope that helps you! Most of all just be yourself, good luck!

Zoe :smile:
Student Rep
Original post by nmca68

Hi Niamh, I am about to have my same interview for the postgraduate certificate in Fashion Buying and Merchandising at UAL next week. I am wondering how yours went and if you were accepted? Also, did you have to take the written and math test, what did you think of them? I would love if you could share any tips you might have for before I have my interview. Thanks!Natalie

Quick Reply