Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by AvaramBear)
very good advice. Do you have any tips on child language? I'm with Edexcel
(Original post by Fallgazer)
Hey there, congrats on the A grade!

I'm taking A-level English Language, but for CIE. I briefly checked the AQA syllabus and they seem to be a bit similar so I wanted to ask you if you have any tips on child language, language diversity, as well as just general tips for structuring your answers?
With child language, it is mainly about integrating the views on child language (nativism and all that) and linking these to examples in a transcript (assuming you get one). Try and create a balanced argument and evaluation by contrasting these perspectives and reaching a balanced conclusion.
At its heart, the child language questions are all about integrating the AOs
Hope this helps guys! :grouphugs:
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have any advice on how to structure the analysis essay in the AS exam? I really struggle with working out the representation and with the comparison question as well.
Also any tips on the opinion article? I'm okay with essay style but suck at creative writing i mean i cannot make the piece sound ‘engaging’
Thank you so much!
AvaramBear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So ours is either a transcript of the children and caregivers speaking or it’s the child’s writing. This often comes with 3-4 extracts of which the child is at different ages and the question is often how does the child show language development in the content given.
(Original post by barror1)
Of course! Before I answer though, how are your child language questions formatted? Like for ours we got a transcript and a question, just wondering if that's the same for you?
tanisha04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey do you have any examples of some really good/unique terminology that could be used when analysing paper 1 q1 and q2?
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by tanisha04)
Hey do you have any examples of some really good/unique terminology that could be used when analysing paper 1 q1 and q2?
Mostly just use terminology that ranges all the way from sentence (complex,simple, etc.) to individual lexis, noun phrases etc. Personally, transitivity of verbs is a tricky one that may be useful. Definitely use the trickier key terms. If you have to the AQA textbook, try and rip some good phrases from there :laugh:
AvaramBear
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
any tips on what to look for in language overtime texts??

(Original post by barror1)
Mostly just use terminology that ranges all the way from sentence (complex,simple, etc.) to individual lexis, noun phrases etc. Personally, transitivity of verbs is a tricky one that may be useful. Definitely use the trickier key terms. If you have to the AQA textbook, try and rip some good phrases from there :laugh:
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0902087529)
Do you have any advice on how to structure the analysis essay in the AS exam? I really struggle with working out the representation and with the comparison question as well.
Also any tips on the opinion article? I'm okay with essay style but suck at creative writing i mean i cannot make the piece sound ‘engaging’
Thank you so much!
Ah sorry I couldn't get back to you in time, I have had my own AS exams this week and kind of got caught up :getmecoat:
If you still need it, make sure your article is researcher-heavy. There is less weighting on an article being 'entertaining' and engagement is not always going to be your top priority. Obviously try to do that, but above all else focus on the researchers.
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Ah beautiful! Super similar to AQA then. I would say to reference the transcript as much as possible, making sure to use different parts to support/go against different researchers. Addressing the nature/nurture debate is a must too. As long as you integrate your assessment objectives on top of this, you should be golden
(Original post by AvaramBear)
So ours is either a transcript of the children and caregivers speaking or it’s the child’s writing. This often comes with 3-4 extracts of which the child is at different ages and the question is often how does the child show language development in the content given.
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Good luck to all of the year 13s with their paper 1 today! You will all smash it
barror1
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Good luck to everyone sitting their paper 1 right now!
Rxni19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
How did you find English lang paper 1

(Original post by AAA_plz)
Hi!
Thank you so much for your tips. I'm really nervous about my A-Level English Language exams, paper 1 is on the 20th May and paper 2 is on the 4th of June. :eek: Do you have any tips for specific framework analysis / essay structure for paper 1, I consistently get grade A's in paper 2 but am struggling to get higher than a C in paper 1
Rxni19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I did not like the text given but I think I did OK not amazing but I'm goi g to work harder on paper 2 to overall g set a good grade
(Original post by Rxni19)
How did you find English lang paper 1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (386)
25.96%
The paper was reasonable (643)
43.24%
Not feeling great about that exam (295)
19.84%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.96%

Watched Threads