The Student Room Group

Is it possible to become a barrister without working your way up the law ladder?

I'm looking to go into criminology at uni but one of my questions is, is it possible to become a junior barrister to a proper barrister without being a solicitor/ lawyer etc first?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hamadylr
I'm looking to go into criminology at uni but one of my questions is, is it possible to become a junior barrister to a proper barrister without being a solicitor/ lawyer etc first?
I've always been interested in law but I potentially want a 40k+ wage within about 2 years experience. Is it possible to earn that much without working with firms in the magic circle?

The fact that you've citied a pay range before any other considerations should tell you something.
The thing is, are you genuinely interested in law or are you interested in the money? A lot of people get into law and end up dropping out/quitting because it's either not what they imagined it to be or they're just looking at it as a cash cow without realising the hours are long and YOU DO NEED TO PUT IN THE EFFORT.
Says something about Criminology applicants as well :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Please tell me you're joking.
Original post by threeportdrift
Says something about Criminology applicants as well :s-smilie:

I know - exactly :facepalm:
Reply 6
Original post by hamadylr

Fortunately for you the system is now changing. Enquire about the new SQE. New ways of qualifying are imminent. Do some investigating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending