The Student Room Group

Underwhelming 1st year at uni, anyone else?

Didn't really get on with any of my coursemates or flatmates - just not my type of people. The only thing keeping me preoccupied/entertained was the sport society I joined. Spent a lot of time bored in my room this year, and I'm a relatively social person. It was either that or force myself to go on nights out with a group I barely connect with. As a result I don't have a solid group of friends, just individuals/few people from here and there who I only occasionally go out with.

Bit of a shame because I was really excited coming to uni, and a lot of my friends here and elsewhere seem to be having a great time with their flatmates/coursemates. It's frustrating because I'm relatively social and I get on with a wide variety of people, yet all the people I have encountered (especially during the first few months at uni) so far are just not my type of people, with exception to a few (but these people already have their own groups). It's frustrating to see everyone else effortlessly fall into their friendship groups, when this is usually fairly easy for me.

Hopeful for 2nd year however, as I plan to change course, which will hopefully give me a 'fresh start' at uni (dont worry this isnt the reason I'm changing course lol).

Anyone else had a similar experience?
i have. i started this year as well, i have two people i sit with during lectures but thats about it. i guess just keep going out, getting involved and join societies and thats all you really can do!
I didn’t have that experience sorry
But what I’ll say is you’re certainly not alone
During your school years you are actively encouraged to go to uni rather than do anything else. You’re told it will be the best time of your life. That without it life is incomplete. That mountains of debt doesn’t count ( not talking about fees) that the friendship you have there lasts for life. Etc etc. Blah blah
The expectations are so high and often unrealistic that many students feel let down. They struggle to make friends, have the fantastic social life, pay living costs and juggle the work. Finding that courses aren’t all they’re made out to be.
Most students get through it. Others move and change courses. Some can’t cope and drop out.
Be proactive about your societies and clubs to make new friends. Hopefully next year you’ll choose who you live with and things improve for you. You’re not alone. Good luck
I feel the same. My flat is tiny (there's only 3 of us) and none of us really get along. I'm close with a few people on my course and I've met people through societies but we're more of acquaintances than friends.

Hopefully next year will be better! Just because the first year didn't go as well as you hoped doesn't mean the next however many years will be bad too :smile:
it will all get better in time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending