The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes as long as both area units are the same you can have both cm2 or both m2
Original post by JennieB^2
You can do either, as long as you convert both units to the same measurement. So if you do cm, make sure you convert the area into cm. Vice versa with m. That's becasue you keep the proportion the same throughout so regardless the answer should be the same!
Reply 581
I got 48000, to standard form but I removed the sports area as I thought they would not grow there so got 40000 4x10^4
Anyone else?
Can we talk about literally ANY OTHER QUESTION besides the field maths q?
Original post by sqrt of 5
it was insulin

No it wasn't, it was glucagon. Insulin is realeased when glucose levels are too high. Question was asking about what happens when it was too low
No 4.8 x 10 >5
Original post by ll7
I got 48000, to standard form but I removed the sports area as I thought they would not grow there so got 40000 4x10^4
Anyone else?
Go on then... give us a question
Original post by BlueBandana
Can we talk about literally ANY OTHER QUESTION besides the field maths q?
The DNA question. I put D
The amino acid sequence 2 marker? I put D too. My reason was that it had the most similar amino acid sequence, so most closest related.
Original post by BlueBandana
The DNA question. I put D
Yhyh same. What about the last q?
Ok lets talk lychee fruit last question what you guys write
Go on then... give us a question
So one of the bullet points were that when they ate the fruit, the enzyme that converts fat into glucose becomes inactive or something. So i said that enzyme is glucagon, causes levels of glucose to be extremely low as they cant convert into glucose, which is required for energy. Lack of energy, lack of nutrition causes them to die, as glucose levels are again too low. The body converts all of this glucose when they eat the lychee and stores it into the muscles, but since they can't be converted back into glucose it is of no use to them. Plus the body will take a longer time to respond to glucose concentration levels because they haven't eaten all day. They have deficiency in glucose. Where as the non-fasting children have a normal blood glucose concentration because both enzymes are active throughout the day, maintaining a stable level of glucose, allowing them to survive. Furthermore, the overdose of lychee's that the starving children have, prevents further the chance for glucose to be used.

I wrote something like that
Original post by spencer1221
Those that had eaten before would have enough glucose to respire so they would be able to function but those that ate only the lychee fruit would not have had enough glucose because the fat wouldn't convert into glucose so they would not be able to respire and dke
Wrote something similar and also mentioned starving kids that didnt eat dont have enough calories to sustain their basal metabolic rate
Original post by leonl888
Those that had eaten before would have enough glucose to respire so they would be able to function but those that ate only the lychee fruit would not have had enough glucose because the fat wouldn't convert into glucose so they would not be able to respire and dke
Original post by 7hello4321
I think I got 5.8x10^5 since rounding to 2 s.f

yh same
Talking about metabolic rate is another mark, congrats.
Wrote something similar and also mentioned starving kids that didnt eat dont have enough calories to sustain their basal metabolic rate
So one of the bullet points were that when they ate the fruit, the enzyme that converts fat into glucose becomes inactive or something. So i said that enzyme is glucagon, causes levels of glucose to be extremely low as they cant convert into glucose, which is required for energy. Lack of energy, lack of nutrition causes them to die, as glucose levels are again too low. The body converts all of this glucose when they eat the lychee and stores it into the muscles, but since they can't be converted back into glucose it is of no use to them. Plus the body will take a longer time to respond to glucose concentration levels because they haven't eaten all day. They have deficiency in glucose. Where as the non-fasting children have a normal blood glucose concentration because both enzymes are active throughout the day, maintaining a stable level of glucose, allowing them to survive. Furthermore, the overdose of lychee's that the starving children have, prevents further the chance for glucose to be used.

I wrote something like that

glucagon is not an enzyme
For the last question I said that kids who ate during the day could be able to take in the required nutrients and substances like glucose. Obviously excess glucose is turned into glycogen and stored in liver cells. So I said that those who didn't have any glucose would result in their liver cells not having enough energy (respiration) to produce the enzymes. Because these enzymes which turned stored fat into glucose are not produced, normal body cells like the heart muscle cells won't be able to gain glucose for respiration and thus stop working - hence, heart attack and r.i.p. Basically waffle. That's vaguely what I wrote, including the lychee but I forgot what I wrote for that
Original post by EliteWhovian
For the last question I said that kids who ate during the day could be able to take in the required nutrients and substances like glucose. Obviously excess glucose is turned into glycogen and stored in liver cells. So I said that those who didn't have any glucose would result in their liver cells not having enough energy (respiration) to produce the enzymes. Because these enzymes which turned stored fat into glucose are not produced, normal body cells like the heart muscle cells won't be able to gain glucose for respiration and thus stop working - hence, heart attack and r.i.p. Basically waffle. That's vaguely what I wrote, including the lychee but I forgot what I wrote for that

i asked for extra paper 😂
Loool I wrote everywhere, not sure if that's illegal :biggrin:
Original post by sqrt of 5
i asked for extra paper 😂
Whether its Standard Form or not I know that I've got atleast 4 marks for the method, but I just didn't put it into standard form, but I guarantee you on MY paper it DID NOT say Standard Form I PROMISE YOU. I even checked my answer once I finished the exam, and I read through the question THOROUGHLY.

Latest

Trending

Trending