lin9g
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I’m NOT going to the uni of my dreams but I have another choice, my last choice- UEL. And yeah I’ve heard that this uni has improved dramatically in the past few year but this somehow reminds me of my old school that improved a lot visually, but in reality, it was not a great school academically. So with this suspicion and no other choices I’m wondering whether it is worth going to my last choice. I’ve been to the offer holder’s day for Film BA and honestly I wasn’t impressed with the course. On top of that their film student told me that if I know the basics I better go to a film school than there. So my concern is whether this uni is advanced enough and will give me the opportunities I’m hoping for. I like many other things about it but the course is my priority. Please help any UEL students out there, would be perfect if you’re from Film BA. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lin9g)
So I’m NOT going to the uni of my dreams but I have another choice, my last choice- UEL. And yeah I’ve heard that this uni has improved dramatically in the past few year but this somehow reminds me of my old school that improved a lot visually, but in reality, it was not a great school academically. So with this suspicion and no other choices I’m wondering whether it is worth going to my last choice. I’ve been to the offer holder’s day for Film BA and honestly I wasn’t impressed with the course. On top of that their film student told me that if I know the basics I better go to a film school than there. So my concern is whether this uni is advanced enough and will give me the opportunities I’m hoping for. I like many other things about it but the course is my priority. Please help any UEL students out there, would be perfect if you’re from Film BA. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
If you don't really like it, weren't impressed and don't think the course will offer you what you're looking for then don't go.

Which was your dream university? Did they give you any feedback on how to improve your chances if you reapply?
lin9g
Rep:
?
No I haven’t, but the thing is I don’t think I will reapply, I will try clearing but I’m under the pressure now to leave home as I was planning to (when I go to uni) and I feel like if I take a gap year it will be a waste of time. It was UAL and the course was very demanded, so partly of why they didn’t take me is because there weren’t any spaces left.
Last edited by lin9g; 4 months ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You can leave home without going to university.

if you’re determined to go to university this year - Have you looked at what courses are available in Extra?
Bongo Bongo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I graduated from UEL. It’s terrible. Go through clearing and you WILL get a MUCH better uni. UEL was like going to high school for me (although that’s probably because I was living at home).
lin9g
Rep:
?
Honestly that’s the impression I got, of a high school, I wasn’t sure if it would offer me anything advance. Thank you for your honestly. If you don’t mind sharing, what course did you do and what are you planning to do now?
lin9g
Rep:
?
I’ve read about extras and clearing, and I can’t do both until I’ve declined all my offers. Problems no 1 I’ve already accepted them, no 2 I don’t wanna risk, I’d rather still have a uni as a back up.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For Film Ed Napier, Falmouth, Kent, South Wales, Westminster are still open on UCAS.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
And UCA and Ravensbourne...you need to ring them to check that the listing is correct before applying but there’s definitely good film courses still accepting applications in extra.
lin9g
Rep:
?
But how can I apply in extra now when I’ve confirmed my firm and insurance choice?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lin9g)
But how can I apply in extra now when I’ve confirmed my firm and insurance choice?
Why did you pick a firm/insurance choice that you don’t like?

When did you pick your firm?
Bongo Bongo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lin9g)
Honestly that’s the impression I got, of a high school, I wasn’t sure if it would offer me anything advance. Thank you for your honestly. If you don’t mind sharing, what course did you do and what are you planning to do now?
I did Anthropology (which they don’t offer anymore) and have done an MSc at a good uni. Im currently having PhD interviews at various places so it doesn’t completely destroy your prospects.

Basically it has a terrible vibe, they monitor your attendance and the social life is rubbish.

Can’t you just apply through clearing when you get your grades? I think you could always just ring up unis on results day an apply directly.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bongo Bongo)
I did Anthropology (which they don’t offer anymore) and have done an MSc at a good uni. Im currently having PhD interviews at various places so it doesn’t completely destroy your prospects.

Basically it has a terrible vibe, they monitor your attendance and the social life is rubbish.

Can’t you just apply through clearing when you get your grades? I think you could always just ring up unis on results day an apply directly.
You can’t apply elsewhere (through clearing or direct) while holding a firm offer.

Edit: and waiting until the last minute and doing everything in a rush is a silly idea if there’s places available now.
lin9g
Rep:
?
(Original post by lin9g)
I’ve confirmed it a while ago and at that point I thought I was sure about it. I admit I’ve done a lot of mistakes in applying and all what is happening now is the result of that. However I’m trying to find a solution rather than what I did wrong...
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lin9g)
I’ve read about extras and clearing, and I can’t do both until I’ve declined all my offers. Problems no 1 I’ve already accepted them, no 2 I don’t wanna risk, I’d rather still have a uni as a back up.
The fact that you have already accepted them is not a problem as such since you could decline your offer at any time. The real problem seems to be that you are nervous about withdrawing from UEL without the certainty of another offer on the table.

Whilst another uni cannot make you a definite offer while you still hold a Firm offer at UEL, they would give you advice over the phone or via email. So I would contact any of the unis that PQ has suggested that appeal to you and ask Admissions about your chances of being accepted there for this year. If they are encouraging enough, you may feel that it is not as risky as you think. But be careful not to rush into accepting another offer until you are sure about that uni - preferably by asking to visit first.
lin9g
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
For Film Ed Napier, Falmouth, Kent, South Wales, Westminster are still open on UCAS.
I’ve been researching it too and if I don’t find anything in clearing I’ll try to reapply and take a gap year.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Even in Clearing, you would need to reject UEL before being able to apply elsewhere, so it make more sense to do it now while there are more likely to be vacancies.

Also, if UEL seems so bad to you that you would rather take a gap year than go there, I don't see that you have anything to lose by declining the offer now.

I would advise you to have a good think about it and make some phone calls - you're not committing yourself to anything just by talking to Admissions staff at other unis.
lin9g
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
The fact that you have already accepted them is not a problem as such since you could decline your offer at any time. The real problem seems to be that you are nervous about withdrawing from UEL without the certainty of another offer on the table.

Whilst another uni cannot make you a definite offer while you still hold a Firm offer at UEL, they would give you advice over the phone or via email. So I would contact any of the unis that PQ has suggested that appeal to you and ask Admissions about your chances of being accepted there for this year. If they are encouraging enough, you may feel that it is not as risky as you think. But be careful not to rush into accepting another offer until you are sure about that uni - preferably by asking to visit first.
Thank you very much for your advice. It is true that I’m more worried about the risk. I will definitely get in touch with other unis and see other choices.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lin9g)
Thank you very much for your advice. It is true that I’m more worried about the risk. I will definitely get in touch with other unis and see other choices.
You're welcome and Good Luck - please let us know how it goes or if you want further help
lin9g
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Even in Clearing, you would need to reject UEL before being able to apply elsewhere, so it make more sense to do it now while there are more likely to be vacancies.

Also, if UEL seems so bad to you that you would rather take a gap year than go there, I don't see that you have anything to lose by declining the offer now.

I would advise you to have a good think about it and make some phone calls - you're not committing yourself to anything just by talking to Admissions staff at other unis.
The reason is that I don’t thinks it the worst uni of the world and if I have to go there I will. But I was also advised to confirm things with a different uni first and then decline me offers so that I could get a clearing offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?