How do I train for hypertrophy??

Watch
Alexkb55
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’ve been going gym for about a year and a half and usually built into strength training so like say my max deadlift is 100 for example I’d do about 12 reps of 40kg, 10 of 50kg 8 of 60kg and so forth but I feel like there should of been more results so I’m looking on how to train for hypertrophy. Like how many reps and sets for a bicep workout for example and what percentage of my 1 rep max should I do? Any helps greatly appreciated )
username4460612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi mate. Personally I've had more hypertrophy success training for strength. I currently train 5 days a week: upper body strength, lower body strength, rest, pull hypertrophy day, push hypertrophy day, leg day hypertrophy. Each workout i start with a compound movement with low reps, such as bench press on upper body strength day. I do 4x3 reps on strength day for this compound, or 4x5 on hypertrophy day. Follow up with another compound (like overhead press) for 4x6-8 reps. After this you can do your hypertrophy work in the 8-12 rep range. Volume will vary from person to person, I only do 8 sets of biceps a week. Make sure to eat a lot of calories and a lot of carbs. Try tracking you macros for a bit. Hope this helps.
(Original post by Alexkb55)
So I’ve been going gym for about a year and a half and usually built into strength training so like say my max deadlift is 100 for example I’d do about 12 reps of 40kg, 10 of 50kg 8 of 60kg and so forth but I feel like there should of been more results so I’m looking on how to train for hypertrophy. Like how many reps and sets for a bicep workout for example and what percentage of my 1 rep max should I do? Any helps greatly appreciated )
FireKebab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Google Dorian Yates training methods. This will be all you need to know and prepare to be in a lot of pain.
username4460612
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would a Dorian Yates program not be a bit too much for someone in their 2nd year of training? I'd reccomend watching Jeff Nippard on YouTube he's actually got the science behind his methodology.
(Original post by FireKebab)
Google Dorian Yates training methods. This will be all you need to know and prepare to be in a lot of pain.
FireKebab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Paulsmith123)
Would a Dorian Yates program not be a bit too much for someone in their 2nd year of training? I'd reccomend watching Jeff Nippard on YouTube he's actually got the science behind his methodology.
Nope, you only fail at your current level of strength. So some will fail at a heavier weight than others. Muscle growth is a response to stress. Unless you push into your max (and really with a spotter to push out some forced reps) then you won’t get anything like your hypertrophy capacity. The eccentric (negative) is where most muscle damage (the key to build back stronger) is done and the concentric (positive) will fail before this. Dorian didn’t do anything new. He applied basic physiology and Mike Menzer training. What he had that was different was mental willpower.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Based off your deadlift max you're weak so improve your strength first then train for hypertrophy.

Follow a plan and when you get stronger maybe like 140kg deadlift etc you'll have gained some size anyway and after that u could do high reps constant tension etc
username4460612
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I think I misunderstood what you first said. I thought you meant a Dorian Yates program, not applying his actual training principles.
(Original post by FireKebab)
Nope, you only fail at your current level of strength. So some will fail at a heavier weight than others. Muscle growth is a response to stress. Unless you push into your max (and really with a spotter to push out some forced reps) then you won’t get anything like your hypertrophy capacity. The eccentric (negative) is where most muscle damage (the key to build back stronger) is done and the concentric (positive) will fail before this. Dorian didn’t do anything new. He applied basic physiology and Mike Menzer training. What he had that was different was mental willpower.
username4460612
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is where most people go wrong imo. Compound movements training for strength should be a staple of all training, even if you're training for bodybuilding you should start off with a heavy compound.
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
Based off your deadlift max you're weak so improve your strength first then train for hypertrophy.

Follow a plan and when you get stronger maybe like 140kg deadlift etc you'll have gained some size anyway and after that u could do high reps constant tension etc
Alexkb55
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheYearNiner)

Nahh my deadlift max is 215kg for one rep, I’m quite happy for my strength for my age (I’m 17) so that’s why I want to focus on hypertrophy now
Alexkb55
Rep:
?
Nahh my deadlift max is 215kg for one rep, I’m quite happy for my strength for my age (I’m 17) so that’s why I want to focus on hypertrophy now
I only said 100 cos it’s an easy number to work with 😅
Alexkb55
Rep:
?
Hi mate. Personally I've had more hypertrophy success training for strength. I currently train 5 days a week: upper body strength, lower body strength, rest, pull hypertrophy day, push hypertrophy day, leg day hypertrophy. Each workout i start with a compound movement with low reps, such as bench press on upper body strength day. I do 4x3 reps on strength day for this compound, or 4x5 on hypertrophy day. Follow up with another compound (like overhead press) for 4x6-8 reps. After this you can do your hypertrophy work in the 8-12 rep range. Volume will vary from person to person, I only do 8 sets of biceps a week. Make sure to eat a lot of calories and a lot of carbs. Try tracking you macros for a bit. Hope this helps.
Thanks man I’ll make sure to do this. So train for both strength and hypertrophy on different days?
Alexkb55
Rep:
?
Ill look up both and choose who I feel is best so thanks for the recommendation )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise