The Student Room Group

Soo stuck... uni of Edinburgh or kings college London???

So I still haven’t decided my university choice for next year and have to decide by Wednesday! So I was wondering if anyone had any advice/any Edinburgh/London students able to offer me advice on where best to go? The problem is I can see myself in London more, significantly prefer the location and university- however my course is single honours philosophy which apparently isn’t as employable/prestigious as the ed course (4 year masters in English Literature with philosophy). I’m so stuck as although I feel as if London will be riskier for a number of reasons (and a lot more expensive!), but I feel as I will be happier and a better chance of being happy in terms of the location/student experience/social life. I suppose I’ve heard from other people that uni of ed is mostly full of Oxford/Cambridge rejects and private school students whereas the diversity of London attracts me more and I feel as if I am ready for the challenge that London presents. Also the fact that ed is 4 years puts me off to an extent as I really can’t see myself there for 4 years and I feel as if there’s a bigger risk in ed if I hate it compared to London as there seems to be more freedom/independence in London as a student. Please help me any advice much appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
So I still haven’t decided my university choice for next year and have to decide by Wednesday! So I was wondering if anyone had any advice/any Edinburgh/London students able to offer me advice on where best to go? The problem is I can see myself in London more, significantly prefer the location and university- however my course is single honours philosophy which apparently isn’t as employable/prestigious as the ed course (4 year masters in English Literature with philosophy). I’m so stuck as although I feel as if London will be riskier for a number of reasons (and a lot more expensive!), but I feel as I will be happier and a better chance of being happy in terms of the location/student experience/social life. I suppose I’ve heard from other people that uni of ed is mostly full of Oxford/Cambridge rejects and private school students whereas the diversity of London attracts me more and I feel as if I am ready for the challenge that London presents. Also the fact that ed is 4 years puts me off to an extent as I really can’t see myself there for 4 years and I feel as if there’s a bigger risk in ed if I hate it compared to London as there seems to be more freedom/independence in London as a student. Please help me any advice much appreciated!

degree prestige means nothing for philosophy, you will be unemployed for years into the future anyway with a philsophy degree without good work experience/internships. perhaps that is a reason to go with edinburgh so you can have an extra 2 years to think about what degree you want to do.

kings really is in the very best possible location in London, but it's still in London which, paradoxically is not a student city despite the huge student population. edinburgh will be a lot more chilled and fun.

edinburgh is notorious for its low student satisfaction, but if you aren't from an ethnic minority you may find the social experience of kings is quite segregated.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was born and bred in Edinburgh and I've also graduated from the University of Edinburgh. It's a fantastic university and the city is wonderful as well.

One good thing about the university is that in 1st and 2nd year you can do 3 subjects. So, in your 1st year you'd do Philosophy 1, English Lit 1 and a third subject in whatever you want to do. My degree was originally French and Spanish and I chose my outside course in Japanese. I did:

1st year = French 1, Spanish 1, Japanese 1
2nd year = French 2, Spanish 2, Japanese 2
3rd year = I decided to switch my degree to Japanese and I went for my year abroad to Tokyo.

Ergo, you can try another subject as your third and potentially switch to it if you wanted to. I don't know if this appeals to you, but it could be something you take into consideration when deciding.
Original post by Anonymous

KCL is a better university than Edinburgh, it is in the top 5 universities of the UK and its in London. From what you said, it seems like your heart is telling you to go to London, London is a big city, you'll enjoy it more. Firm KCL and insure Edinburgh.
Original post by JayJ2001
KCL is a better university than Edinburgh, it is in the top 5 universities of the UK and its in London. From what you said, it seems like your heart is telling you to go to London, London is a big city, you'll enjoy it more. Firm KCL and insure Edinburgh.

hahaha. on what basis?
Not really the University of Edinburgh spanks KCL in almost all rankings domestic and especially global ones.

I would go with Edinburgh, its far more selective and likely offers a better student experience. KCLs is sprawled all over the most expensive city in the world. Meaning unless your minted you will be sprinting about London with minimal funds for three years, needing to live in a dodgy part of London with affordable shopping....when i did my private foundation, i had to live in Tottenham to male ends meet. Was paying out the dilly £630 rent to share a room with a stranger! This was 2 years ago now (im a second almost third year!). And i realised then the amount of money you spend to just survive in London! Finances can be stressful when you should be focusing on your study! The student loan will go alot further in Scotland!

Original post by JayJ2001
Original post by A Rolling Stone
hahaha. on what basis?

For philosiphy KCL is a better university based off the rankings I found. I mixed up KCL with Imperial london college. It isn't top 5, my bad.
hahaha. on what basis?

Original post by Realitysreflexx
Not really the University of Edinburgh spanks KCL in almost all rankings domestic and especially global ones.

I would go with Edinburgh, its far more selective and likely offers a better student experience. KCLs is sprawled all over the most expensive city in the world. Meaning unless your minted you will be sprinting about London with minimal funds for three years, needing to live in a dodgy part of London with affordable shopping....when i did my private foundation, i had to live in Tottenham to male ends meet. Was paying out the dilly £630 rent to share a room with a stranger! This was 2 years ago now (im a second almost third year!). And i realised then the amount of money you spend to just survive in London! Finances can be stressful when you should be focusing on your study! The student loan will go alot further in Scotland!

Don't feed the troll... :unimpressed:
not a troll - he just made a wee error, as we all do from time to time.
Original post by Quick-use
Don't feed the troll... :unimpressed:
This actually isn't the first thread the poster's done this in...
Wee error lol, are you a scot?
went to uni in scotland so i'm allowed to use it
Wee error lol, are you a scot?
Lol oh wow... Was just wondering, im not judging!
Definitely. What else did you pick up during your time up north?
the clap
Definitely. What else did you pick up during your time up north?
This actually isn't the first thread the poster's done this in...

Troll? How exactly am I a troll exact? And where have I done what exactly?

Right. I didn't think about living expenses. The University of Edinburgh does spank KCL overall, but I found that KCL is better for philosophy study.
Edinburgh!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending