The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

University of Westminster-- Social life and module schedule?

Hello, I am an American student looking to study abroad in the fall. I have read many mixed reviews about University of Westminster. I would love to get some fresh opinions.
Mainly, what is the social life like? Do I have to live in the halls to experience the social life or is living a couple miles away sufficient (follow-up, do buses run late for me to get home)? Does the uni offer parties/ good nights out in general?
Secondly, what is the module schedule like? I read somewhere that modules only meet once a week. Is that true of all modules or just some?
Overall, what is your opinion on Westminster?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Also, how is freshers??
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Hello! I am also an American and made the decision to study abroad at the University of Westminster this past Spring Semester. Like you, I had many similar questions. I was nervous about coming abroad for a semester where I did not know anyone. I lived in Marylebone Halls on the Marylebone Campus, which I would highly recommend. You are in close proximity to the main campuses, and most of the students in this building are all studying abroad as well. However, it is very easy to get to the Alexander Fleming housing and Harrow Housing via tube. I have friends here who do not live on campus, and their social life is just as active. It's really about how much effort you are willing to put into your experience here abroad. There are night tubes that run 24 hours on Friday's and Saturday's. Most buses also run throughout the night every day of the week. I've never run into a problem with transportation. As for parties or nights out, there are a ton of options in London. The university will hold events in the dorm halls like movie nights or group nights. A good way to get out and meet new people is going on a pub crawl throughout the city. The Marylebone and Alexander Fleming Halls are both close to these. There is also a place called the International House for students, which offers activities and have free karaoke on Thursday nights.Yes, most modules only meet once a week. It is a lot different from the US. I took 4 modules here this semester, and only had each class once a week. This being said, you only have about 2 grades in each class, so make sure to pay attention. Overall, I actually really enjoyed this structure, and besides studying, I never had any homework.Overall, the best advice I can give you is to sign up for the Social Programme during the week before classes start. This allowed me to see a lot of London, and this is how I met a lot of my good friends here. Everyone is eager to study abroad and everyone is nervous at first. My experience at Westminster has honestly been one of the best experiences of my life thus far. It is a great location, with friendly people willing to help. Don't be afraid to reach out to the Education Abroad Team as well, they really helped to answer all of my questions during the application process. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending