Do you fear death? Why or why not?

Watch
Bane01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Death is an existential phenomenon. It is also a phenomenon with inevitable and universal aspects at the same time.
In our birth, there is always the motivation to stay alive. For this reason, the underlying cause behind all our fears is that we must perceive something that threatens our lives and threatening our alive form.

For example, the real reason behind our fear of starvation or darkness is that it threatens our lives and It is nearing death. As a result, if we have fears in our daily lives, we mean that we are afraid of death and dying, whether we accept it or no
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not really, I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. If it happens it happens.

Plus if it happened, I wouldn't have to sit my property exam.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Death is an inevitable part of life, so no, I'm not worried about it.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. I would have lost my consciousness probably no "experience" to be scared of. Although maybe I am scared dying, as humans generally try to avoid. Also I'm scared of guns and knives piercing me, pain, heights, etc.
username2657095
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t fear it at all tbh, it’s going to happen to everyone eventually. There’s no point living in constant fear of dying, you may as well make the most of the time you get.
Kraggor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bane01)
Death is an existential phenomenon. It is also a phenomenon with inevitable and universal aspects at the same time.
In our birth, there is always the motivation to stay alive. For this reason, the underlying cause behind all our fears is that we must perceive something that threatens our lives and threatening our alive form.

For example, the real reason behind our fear of starvation or darkness is that it threatens our lives and It is nearing death. As a result, if we have fears in our daily lives, we mean that we are afraid of death and dying, whether we accept it or no
Not scared of death itself as it is a natural cycle of life but I do fear the pain/cause up to it though if the cause is any more painful then having dentist drill into you without anesthetic then I want to be knocked out before my death
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
absolutely not, sometimes i want it. i just dont wanna die shamefully like...on the toilet...or before i had a bath or cleaned my house.
Lannister043
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it depends..
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, but that doesn't mean I want to expedite it. I am more concerned with how much a given thing will hurt more than whether it can kill, so your premise that all fear tacitly stems from 'death' is, I think, false in some pretty fundamental ways.
thoxque
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Death is nothing... how can you fear nothing...

TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No because there is nothing to be scared about because you will feel nothing its exactly like losing conscientious, likewise you would want to die.
Allie4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No because I've had suicidal thoughts in the past so already made my peace with my inevitable death, whenever that may be.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I was about 10-13, I was necrophobic to catatonia. I slowly had to deal with the prospect and this has matured into a sophisticated and well-defined indifference to death.
username2861570
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, cos death to me is but a transition back into our original state of oneness with the universe. Death is not to be feared.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I nearly died when I was 39, so just think if it happens, it happens. I aim to live a decent life, then people will have good memories of me when the time comes.

thoxque
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dr House — 'Almost dying changes nothing. Dying changes everything'

(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I nearly died when I was 39, so just think if it happens, it happens. I aim to live a decent life, then people will have good memories of me when the time comes.
username3855104
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thoxque)
Dr House — 'Almost dying changes nothing. Dying changes everything'
Which is just an empty phrase. Both from literature and real life I know that near death experience can change a lot. You can turn your whole life around and become a different person as a result... Not necessarily, and not everyone... but still, it is an extremely meaningful experience.
ItsTomii
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m not scared of death. However actually being in a position where I’m dying sounds more horrifying than the end result.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No,it's just eternal sleep with no consciousness.You just cease to exist.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Klotild this is true nearly dying has made me appreciate my life so much more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.33%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.55%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (74)
13.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.97%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.66%
Financial worries (35)
6.22%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise