The Student Room Group

Can't decide which uni to go to

Need a bit of advice, I have narrowed down my two options to be between Northumbria University to study Film and TV Production, and at my local college (New College Durham) to study a foundation degree in Film Production (and then go onto a top-up degree run by the college to make it a full degree).
Now I have already studied one year of university at a different uni doing English, and I haven't enjoyed it, which is why I'm changing my course to something I do enjoy and want to do (I want to become a screenwriter). But it also means if I make the wrong choice this September, then I cant start again as I won't have enough funding left.
Northumbria University offers a lot of screenwriting modules, and the college degree is written so you can tailor it to whatever you want to do.
However, this September will be the 3rd year the course at the college has run, so there isn't the experience behind the course (although the teachers have the experience and industry links).
I need to decide on the 1st of May, and I have no idea which one I want to go to.
Thank you.
Original post by aza238
Need a bit of advice, I have narrowed down my two options to be between Northumbria University to study Film and TV Production, and at my local college (New College Durham) to study a foundation degree in Film Production (and then go onto a top-up degree run by the college to make it a full degree).
Now I have already studied one year of university at a different uni doing English, and I haven't enjoyed it, which is why I'm changing my course to something I do enjoy and want to do (I want to become a screenwriter). But it also means if I make the wrong choice this September, then I cant start again as I won't have enough funding left.
Northumbria University offers a lot of screenwriting modules, and the college degree is written so you can tailor it to whatever you want to do.
However, this September will be the 3rd year the course at the college has run, so there isn't the experience behind the course (although the teachers have the experience and industry links).
I need to decide on the 1st of May, and I have no idea which one I want to go to.
Thank you.

Firm northumbria. If you change your mind then the FdA course will almost certainly be available in clearing.
are you sure your student finance will cover a foundation degree and then a top up if you've already used up your gift year? as far as i know you can only use it for 1 qualification..
Original post by tabbycat7
are you sure your student finance will cover a foundation degree and then a top up if you've already used up your gift year? as far as i know you can only use it for 1 qualification..

That's not the case - as long as the course isn't a equivalent qualification then funding for a top up year is usually possible (there's some exceptions where a top up year doesn't follow straight after a FdA/FdSc but they're rare).
Reply 4
Hey thanks for your reply! I decided to firm the FdA Course, for a number of reasons, but the main reason being that the one at Northumbra just didnt feel like the 'right' one for me :smile:
Original post by PQ
Firm northumbria. If you change your mind then the FdA course will almost certainly be available in clearing.
Reply 5
Hey, thanks for the reply! From what I've read/been told, it should be okay. Since we get 4 years of funding, and I have already used one year, I have 3 years of funding left, leaving two years for the foundation, and one year for the top up. However, if it ends up turning out that I can't get funding for the top up year, then my plan is to take some time out after I finish the foundation degree and work to save up to afford it (however long that will take haha) :smile:
Original post by tabbycat7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending