The Student Room Group

Why am I being paid more than my colleagues?

Hi everyone, so I finally got a new job and I absolutely love it, plus the money is great. I was speaking to one of the ladies that I work with the other day and I just happened to mention my pay, which is £8.21 per hour, and she seemed shocked and said that neither herself or the others are paid that much as they are all on national minimum living wage. I’m also not 18 yet so my pay could be less if they wanted... I’m just a bit confused as I’m doing the exact same job as the other girls, I have absolutely no experience yet I’m being paid more. Why could this be? Isn’t this considered pay discrimination?
Reply 1
£8.21 is the minimum wage for over 25s. The minimum for 21-25 is £7.70. If they're over 25, they should get the same as you. Any less and they're breaking the law.
Reply 2
NLW is £8.21. As of 1st April. So they're on the same pay as you ( assuming they're over 25)?
(edited 4 years ago)
I think this is it, exactly.
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t feel the need to mention what job I’m doing or why etc as my question is simply why could i possibly be being paid more to do the EXACT same job as other members of the company. I read online that it is your entitlement to be paid the same as others doing the same job unless there is a reason, and so I’m asking what this possible reason could be. I had the conversation a couple weeks ago so I couldn’t tell you exactly what the lady said she was paid, all I know is that she said she is paid less than me. Maybe you’re right and they are on the same as me but I distinctly remember her acting shocked when I mentioned my pay. I have no reason to mention it to my employer as I really don’t care that much, however there is a law put in place to prevent “pay secrecy” within workplaces to discourage pay discrimination, that is why I am wondering and asking on here.
From the replies I am getting here I’m guessing that they must be on the same as me, although she did express some surprise as to the fact she thought I was paid more. Not a clue, think the first guy was right. I am working for a well known PLC so I highly doubt they would underpay them as it would get around quickly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending