The Student Room Group

Need help on land law question

Guys I got this problem question, but can't determine exactly what subjects i need to use on what part of the question on land law can you help please.

In 2010 George, Bob, Clyde and Eric purchased the registered property, Whiteacres, to live in together whilst they were training to become pilots. Whiteacres was conveyed to them expressly as ‘beneficial joint tenants’.

In 2012 George went to live with an air hostess in China and sold his interest in Whiteacres to Fred by means of a written document signed by George. Fred moved into Whiteacres although Eric said he had no right to do so.

In 2014 Bob served a written notice on Clyde and Eric that he was holding his interest as a tenant in common from then on. Clyde ripped up the notice and told Bob that he did not agree to him holding his interest as a tenant in common. Eric’s girlfriend, Sasha, threw the notice out by mistake when she came to visit Eric but did so before Eric had seen it.

Six months ago Bob and Eric died in an accident. Bob had left his interest in Whiteacres in his will to his girlfriend, Penny, and Eric had left his interest in Whiteacres to his girlfriend, Sasha. Fred moved all his possessions out of Whiteacres having been sent abroad for a year by his company.

Last month Clyde died from a mysterious illness. His will stated that his interest in Whiteacres is to go to his niece, Natalia. Natalia is on an expedition and will not be back for a further three months.

Both Penny and Sasha have moved into the house even though George has told them that they have right to do so.

Last week George sold Whiteacres to Randy.

Trace the devolution of the legal and equitable title to Whiteacres and advise Randy.
The question sets out what you have to do. The first part is a bog standard co-ownership question i.e. trace the devolution of title of both legal and equitable ownership as the question states. G was the sole legal owner. The next part deals with whether the rights of the equitable owners take priority over the sale to Randy. Overreaching doesn't apply. My answer is very brief as you haven't provided any of your own ideas for others to comment on.

I have provided a more detailed answer on Co-ownership combined with OR interests problem question

Amanda Grant a.k.a BiteSizeLaw (private property law tutor)

Original post by devourerofgods
Guys I got this problem question, but can't determine exactly what subjects i need to use on what part of the question on land law can you help please.

In 2010 George, Bob, Clyde and Eric purchased the registered property, Whiteacres, to live in together whilst they were training to become pilots. Whiteacres was conveyed to them expressly as ‘beneficial joint tenants’.

In 2012 George went to live with an air hostess in China and sold his interest in Whiteacres to Fred by means of a written document signed by George. Fred moved into Whiteacres although Eric said he had no right to do so.

In 2014 Bob served a written notice on Clyde and Eric that he was holding his interest as a tenant in common from then on. Clyde ripped up the notice and told Bob that he did not agree to him holding his interest as a tenant in common. Eric’s girlfriend, Sasha, threw the notice out by mistake when she came to visit Eric but did so before Eric had seen it.

Six months ago Bob and Eric died in an accident. Bob had left his interest in Whiteacres in his will to his girlfriend, Penny, and Eric had left his interest in Whiteacres to his girlfriend, Sasha. Fred moved all his possessions out of Whiteacres having been sent abroad for a year by his company.

Last month Clyde died from a mysterious illness. His will stated that his interest in Whiteacres is to go to his niece, Natalia. Natalia is on an expedition and will not be back for a further three months.

Both Penny and Sasha have moved into the house even though George has told them that they have right to do so.

Last week George sold Whiteacres to Randy.

Trace the devolution of the legal and equitable title to Whiteacres and advise Randy.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you are going down this route, I would buy an old second hand copy of MacKenzie and Phillips for £0.01 instead (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Textbook-Land-Law-Judith-Anne-MacKenzie/dp/0199699275), or at least a proper revision book. You can supplement it (and check for updates if it's an older textbook -property law isn't a fast moving topic!) by cross-referencing to your own uni's materials and your lecture notes.

Selling lecture outlines is a very dodgy practice as the copyright belongs to the uni/lecturer and, more importantly, they is intended to support lectures; not replace them. They will only contain the basic information. The seller of these notes states that he made them himself. Students' notes may contain errors and may not cover the same areas as your own module. A site which doesn't charge is Academia (there is no need to upgrade to the premium membership) but, again, if you are looking at students' own notes or lecture outlines; be wary. Just search under the relevant topic e.g. Co-ownership. and you will have lots of choice. Simply download the documents you think will be useful.

You were not able to identify that the question deals with co-ownership and third party rights in registered land. You need a text book! Use the one that your lecturer recommends.

Proceed with care!!!

BiteSizeLaw (private property law tutor Leicester) LinkedIn

Original post by username3060728
Use this revision guide - honestly when I used this I got a 1st in my exam - 1ST CLASS LAND LAW LLB http://www.stuvia.com/doc/420942
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest