Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So basically I’m trying to decide whether to choose Edinburgh university or kings college London as my final choice but have a few questions regarding Edinburgh.

Firstly: Why is student satisfaction at Edinburgh University so low?

Also does anyone know what the social/night life is like in Edinburgh? Basically I’m afraid I won’t fit in/click with the people as I’ve heard a lot of private school/rich kids go there and I think I would prefer London in the sense it’s more likely to be more diverse/more than one type of person?

Thank you any feedback much appreciated
Advertisement
LaurenBrownie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm wondering the same thing ahh can someone reply pls!
Joneron
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I cannot really give the answer you need but my brother studies MSc at the University of Birmingham and I heard only good things about the students there. Also, I don't know about the private school/rich people part as the UoE is very international and therefore it is hard to get there - therefore I assume they attract very academically achieving students and I doubt that money will have a direct impact on the decision. (Note that Scottland mostly offers cheaper tuition (esp. for BSc) for EU students than England and therefore has many EU students (but also international students)).
Last edited by Joneron; 10 months ago
Advertisement
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Moved to University of Edinburgh forum, as that's mainly what this thread is about.
PresentFuture
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Right. So I recall this website was +- useful when I was choosing where to apply to. Hopefully this will answer your question though.
Why you can trust what I say? Well you can't....be sceptical...but no, I am legitimately a matriculated student at the University of Edinburgh studying on a joint honours degree.

"So basically I’m trying to decide whether to choose Edinburgh university or kings college London as my final choice but have a few questions regarding Edinburgh."

A big consideration should be what subject/discipline you want to follow as in some KCL may be better than UoE. If that is not a consideration and you are looking at academic quality and international reputation overall (which is important for post-graduation concerns):
As you will see from QS World University Rankings (https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2019) Edinburgh is ranked higher. It is a prestigious university with a very large research-based endowment, good facilities and a very international student base. If you want to push yourself to reach the top 0.1% academically - you get the facilities to do that.

"Firstly: Why is student satisfaction at Edinburgh University so low?"

There is a higher propensity to do a NSS survey if you have a bad experience than if you have a good experience. In either case, it really depends on the person, the vast majority of people I've met here are having a great time. The university does have various support structures in place but students chronically under use them and then complain about it. Not sure the university is to blame for that.

"Also does anyone know what the social/night life is like in Edinburgh? Basically I’m afraid I won’t fit in/click with the people as I’ve heard a lot of private school/rich kids go there and I think I would prefer London in the sense it’s more likely to be more diverse/more than one type of person?"

Not sure if you are mixing Edinburgh with St. Andrews, but the short answer is 'No'. The long answer is: the university is ~40,000 people. There are plenty of people from every background and just about every nation with ~50% of students from outside the UK. Due to the high academic level you will not find as many Scottish people here as you will internationals or English/N.Irish students (I don't say Welsh only because I've not met any Welsh people here over a year). If you want to 'rub shoulders' with the people in the traditionally more elitist societies such as Investment Funds (EUTIC) I assure you that will not be different from Investment funds anywhere else. Tl;dr if you want to find an elitist part of the uni, you can find that, however it most certainly does not constitute the majority.

Extra things to note:
*Cycling to Uni or around campuses in Edinburgh is possible, safe and encouraged. Cycling in London (talking from experience) is hard, unsafe and annoying.

*Scotland is more liberal than most parts of the UK and Edinburgh is a hub of liberal sentiment. If that potentially troubles you, you might want to keep that in mind. Also don't mention Brexit or Scottish Independence - touchy subjects.

*In Edinburgh, as with all the top 5 Scottish institutions, the academic system is much more flexible than the English system. Even if you skip the first year and go for direct entry (an option if you are a STEM student), you can still change subject after the first year or opt for a major-minor kind of approach. If you do the full 4-years you can get a joint major/double major/joint honours qualification in a wide variety of disciplines, allowing you to continue with your 2 favourite A-Level/IB subjects for instance, or even shuffling one or both of these around.

*Edinburgh is still a capital, but it is smaller. Like way smaller than London. That's a + and a -. A plus because all the jobs/internships/insights are close-by, a '-' because if you want to see something like a v.big sports event or a pop concert, Glasgow is the place for that. Then again, that's only 40min by train, so tbh all your needs are met ^^

Hope that helps!

Good luck with your choosing!
Advertisement
MONTO101
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I will personally go for Kings college as it's higher ranked and will look better on the CV because it is a more prestigious university. Edinburgh is not bad but not on the same level as KC. The rest is up to you.

Your experience is crucial for my survey to help me with my research because it is to identify students experiences when searching for the right course to study and what helps them make an informed decision.

https://forms.gle/bTBkgd1Pkmf5p4Kr7

Thank you and I look forward to your response.
Joneron
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MONTO101)
I will personally go for Kings college as it's higher ranked and will look better on the CV because it is a more prestigious university. Edinburgh is not bad but not on the same level as KC. The rest is up to you.
QS Ranking 2019:
Edinburgh: 18
King’s College: 31
Source: https://www.qs.com/rankings/

Both are undoubtedly renown universities and I would say that the reputation should not be too different. It should be more a decision of the cities, costs and the course details. Universities are rarely “top x in the world” across all their courses.
Last edited by Joneron; 10 months ago
Advertisement
juliabea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If I could go back in time I would choose not to go to Edinburgh. The low student satisfaction is apparent in many aspects of the uni although it depends on which course you take (social sciences, medicine and veterinary medicine are a lot better than other sciences). Courses seem very old and tutors do not offer much help/support or sympathy for their students. Overall bad experience from me, although the city and nightlife is pretty decent.
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MONTO101)

Your experience is crucial for my survey to help me with my research because it is to identify students experiences when searching for the right course to study and what helps them make an informed decision.

https://forms.gle/bTBkgd1Pkmf5p4Kr7

Thank you and I look forward to your response.
Actually, Edinburgh is currently ranked higher than Kings College.
But I wouldn’t let that influence your decision.
Advertisement
William London
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think student satisfaction in Edinburgh might be low because of all the GIANT MOTHS!!!!
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically I’m trying to decide whether to choose Edinburgh university or kings college London as my final choice but have a few questions regarding Edinburgh.

Firstly: Why is student satisfaction at Edinburgh University so low?

Also does anyone know what the social/night life is like in Edinburgh? Basically I’m afraid I won’t fit in/click with the people as I’ve heard a lot of private school/rich kids go there and I think I would prefer London in the sense it’s more likely to be more diverse/more than one type of person?

Thank you any feedback much appreciated
tsnmmhf
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Would you say the same goes for students taking biological sciences as well? I'm trying to look for someone at UoE who is taking Zoology to ask them about their experience but I'm having quite a hard time. I would be thankful if you could link me to anyone you might know
(Original post by juliabea)
If I could go back in time I would choose not to go to Edinburgh. The low student satisfaction is apparent in many aspects of the uni although it depends on which course you take (social sciences, medicine and veterinary medicine are a lot better than other sciences). Courses seem very old and tutors do not offer much help/support or sympathy for their students. Overall bad experience from me, although the city and nightlife is pretty decent.
Advertisement
FinancierX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's fine as long as you're white. People there are racist though. I was punished badly in math related courses, despite having had answered every math question mathematically correctly, because my writing didn't sound native English. An the white "external" examiner agreed with the course director. The dean, the classmate of the lecturer, also agreed with the course director. Shame.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FinancierX)
It's fine as long as you're white. People there are racist though. I was punished badly in math related courses, despite having had answered every math question mathematically correctly, because my writing didn't sound native English. An the white "external" examiner agreed with the course director. The dean, the classmate of the lecturer, also agreed with the course director. Shame.
This is completely false. The University of Edinburgh has an extremely diverse student population with thousands upon thousands of non-white and International students. I'm pretty sure that more non-white / non-British students makes up the student population than otherwise.

I've never witnessed racism or discrimination at the university and have never heard of any incidents either. Most of my lecturers weren't even white and spoke English as their second, third or even fourth language.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
Advertisement
ThatShortGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can definitely see you being marked down for your writing. Not because you're not white (that doesn't show in your writing...) but because if they cannot understand what you were trying to say, they cannot give marks to you. Plenty of native English speaking people (which has nothing to do with race, as there's millions of people of colour that grow up speaking English, both in the UK and abroad, as well as millions of white people that grow up speaking some other language natively...) are terrible at writing their thoughts down coherently, and they too get marked down.

I'm also suspicious that you don't even go to Edinburgh, given that you got none of the terminology surrounding the assessment roles right, but that's just a suspicion.
FinancierX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
This is completely false. The University of Edinburgh has an extremely diverse student population with thousands upon thousands of non-white and International students. I'm pretty sure that more non-white / non-British students makes up the student population than otherwise.

I've never witnessed racism or discrimination at the university and have never heard of any incidents either. Most of my lecturers weren't even white and spoke English as their second, third or even fourth language.
You are lucky then. Not everybody is as lucky as you were. That doesn't mean my experience was "false".

You also lived in the UK at the time. You said you've never witnessed racism. Can you say the whole UK or the world had no racism at the time you studied there?

Of course not.
FinancierX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThatShortGirl)
I can definitely see you being marked down for your writing. Not because you're not white (that doesn't show in your writing...) but because if they cannot understand what you were trying to say, they cannot give marks to you. Plenty of native English speaking people (which has nothing to do with race, as there's millions of people of colour that grow up speaking English, both in the UK and abroad, as well as millions of white people that grow up speaking some other language natively...) are terrible at writing their thoughts down coherently, and they too get marked down.

I'm also suspicious that you don't even go to Edinburgh, given that you got none of the terminology surrounding the assessment roles right, but that's just a suspicion.
Right, that's always the excuse for racism. You've never seen my paper. How can you be so sure that it's because my writing was so incomprehensible, not because the lecturer has negative bias on non-native English writing?

I got IELTS 7.5 with 7.0 in writing score which was not that low (compared to other Asian students, of course). Does that mean students with English skill worse than me should not study here?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You said you've never witnessed racism.
I said I had never witnessed or heard of accounts of racism at the university. I've both studied and worked at the university for years and haven't seen a single instance. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist; just that it's clearly not as prevalent as you make it out to be.
Advertisement
FinancierX
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I said I had never witnessed or heard of accounts of racism at the university. I've both studied and worked at the university for years and haven't seen a single instance. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist; just that it's clearly not as prevalent as you make it out to be.
And apparently not as rare as you thought... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-50141372
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (93)
52.25%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.1%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (51)
28.65%

Watched Threads