The Student Room Group

Narcissism vs NPD

With selfies becoming all the more widespread, and “if you have it flaunt it” attitudes blurring the life stories of people featured on social media, I have noticed an equally strong backlash from previous generations, say, my parents, scoffing at “narcissism”. I’ve even left Facebook in light of inadequacy in my singleness with seemingly more successful dating/social lives being rubbed in my face.

Using a generalised, dictionary definition of “narcissism” this would increase the instances of Narcissistic Personality Disorder right? In my pensive moments I’ve determined that surely there’s more to real narcissism than just taking hundreds of selfies at an exotic destination or showing off your social media or YouTube profile. Albeit at the same time I’m pondering if this cultural atmosphere is the breeding ground for narcissism, both in its literal and psychological sense.

What is the difference between narcissism and NPD?
Personality disorders are permanent features of a person and in various senses at odds with a person's 'culture'.

The DSM says

Narcissistic personality disorder is a pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and lack of empathy.

and under diagnostic features, this paragraph is what I would sum up as what some people might find relevant

Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder generally have a lack of empathy and have difficulty recognizing the desires, subjective experiences, and feelings of others (Criterion 7). They may assume that others are totally concerned about their welfare. They tend to discuss their own concerns in inappropriate and lengthy detail, while failing to recognize that others also have feelings and needs. They are often contemptuous and impatient with others who talk about their own problems and concerns. These individuals may be oblivious to the hurt their remarks may inflict (e.g., exuberantly telling a former lover that “I am now in the relationship of a lifetime!”; boasting of health in front of someone who is sick). When recognized, the needs, desires, or feelings of others are likely to be viewed disparagingly as signs of weakness or vulnerability. Those who relate to individuals with narcissistic personality disorder typically find an emotional coldness and lack of reciprocal interest.

Source: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, 2013, American Psychiatric Publishing, Chapter on Personality Disorders.

Quick Reply

Latest