dingo13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi guys I'm applying for Masters in Management (MiM) for this September. So far I've applied to the following with my references finally being completed for them as of today:

LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick

I'm also planning to apply to Manchester but need to get my ref sorted out for it. I was wondering what other unis are worth applying to. Personally I'd be quite keen on Birmingham/Nottingham due to the fact they both offer strong student life but I don't know much about how good these unis are for this masters. I know they're both decent RG unis at UG level but for a MiM I've not seen people mention either in MiM discussions that I've seen. I did my undergrad at KCL in politics and I'm quite interested in going out of LDN for masters to exp a different setting, but I've seen LDN unis that I've applied for get mentioned a lot in MiM discussions so I applied for them from a perceived lack of alternatives. Rankings can be misleading so I'm a bit confused. Can anyone shed some light for me?
Last edited by dingo13; 11 months ago
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's not really worth doing if you want a reputation enhancer on your CV unless it's at a top tier uni and the ones you haven't mentioned are LBS and Judge.

Peking University's HSBC Business School does a good one too, split between Oxford and China, if you really want to get out of London.
Last edited by Exceptional; 11 months ago
dingo13
Rep:
?
By out of London I mean other unis in the UK
(Original post by Exceptional)
It's not really worth doing if you want a reputation enhancer on your CV unless it's at a top tier uni and the ones you haven't mentioned are LBS and Judge.

Peking University's HSBC Business School does a good one too, split between Oxford and China, if you really want to get out of London.
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dingo13)
By out of London I mean other unis in the UK
Then no. My guess is that you want to go to a top school given where you've already applied? If so, unfortunately there aren't any others in a similar league to where you've already applied. That's not to say good RG universities like Manchester and Notts aren't worthwhile for an MSc, but I'm sure you want to get the most out of your money. If prestige isn't your main concern then there are lots of good options.
Last edited by Exceptional; 11 months ago
dingo13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
Then no. My guess is that you want to go to a top school given where you've already applied? If so, unfortunately there aren't any others in a similar league to where you've already applied. That's not to say good RG universities like Manchester and Notts aren't worthwhile for an MSc, but I'm sure you want to get the most out of your money. If prestige isn't your main concern then there are lots of good options.
Fair enough. Warwick might be the ticket then.
V944817
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Warwick might be the strongest player in this field apart from Oxbridge and outside of London. Other options could be Bath, Manchester and Strathclyde.
dingo13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by V944817)
Warwick might be the strongest player in this field apart from Oxbridge and outside of London. Other options could be Bath, Manchester and Strathclyde.
Strathclyde? I’ve heard it’s name pop up so I assume it’s quality for management but generally speaking it’s not comparable to the others mentioned I feel
username4569004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
All Masters at London unis are extremely overpriced for various reasons. One of them is that 90% of students enrolled come from well off background and they all cash-rich (overseas students). So to make it fair they charge the same price whether you are a domestic student or overseas as they know they are going to take 90% of the students from overseas and the rest will be domestic or EU to tick the diversity box. The ROI wise you are going to do considerably worse than outside London unis (30k+ vs 12-15k) and you might end up having the same job for the same money as someone graduating from the University of York. If money isn't a problem stick to your current choices. If it is a problem then there are better options such as the University of Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aston etc. Let's be clear no one during the interview(if you make that far) will give a monkey's about the uni you went to they will care what you can offer as an employee.
dingo13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by John Wan)
All Masters at London unis are extremely overpriced for various reasons. One of them is that 90% of students enrolled come from well off background and they all cash-rich (overseas students). So to make it fair they charge the same price whether you are a domestic student or overseas as they know they are going to take 90% of the students from overseas and the rest will be domestic or EU to tick the diversity box. The ROI wise you are going to do considerably worse than outside London unis (30k+ vs 12-15k) and you might end up having the same job for the same money as someone graduating from the University of York. If money isn't a problem stick to your current choices. If it is a problem then there are better options such as the University of Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aston etc. Let's be clear no one during the interview(if you make that far) will give a monkey's about the uni you went to they will care what you can offer as an employee.
I get your point about London being expensive, but I wouldn't class Aston definitely as being in the same league as an Imperial/LSE/Warwick, unis which I'm sure would be better in terms of industry links, networking, and not as important but probably beneficial in an interview.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is why im doing my MsC in the Netherlands, even though ive done (still completing but nearly 3rd year now, so applying in October for MsC) Nottingham...because the price vs ROI is kind of bad, like horrifyingly bad.

For example for me an EU student University of Amsterdam ranked 53th in the world, or Erasmus Rotterdam, ranked 70th in the world... Runs about €2,033(which you could still do!). Though you likely would need a GMAT score to apply only downside, but that's €250....

While what are great unis all cost around £19K minus postgrad loan, which is insane factoring in living costs for a year!!!

Simply not worth, Nottingham does have some nice courses at MSC and i would also consider Leeds, Bristol, and Birmingham, also St. Andrews is a sleeper... It's quite cheap at MsC.

I will be applying to Leeds for MsC Consultancy and also Nottingham but they are my back ups.

My main targets are:

Lund Sweden, Erasmus, University of Amsterdam, University of Groningen.
I get your point about London being expensive, but I wouldn't class Aston definitely as being in the same league as an Imperial/LSE/Warwick, unis which I'm sure would be better in terms of industry links, networking, and not as important but probably beneficial in an interview.
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Out of London options worth considering

Warwick
Cranfield
Durham
Bristol
Bath
Edinburgh
Manchester
Nottingham
Exeter
Glasgow
Leeds
Cranfield University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello dingo13

I am a student at Cranfield and I can imagine the difficulty in making your choice at the moment, as I went through same too! I choose Cranfield and it has been an excellent choice and decision for me.
We are a postgraduate-only University. This means our work involves teaching and cutting-edge research. It means as well that we may not be seen in the traditional ranking websites, as these rankings are done based on undergraduate courses. However, our courses are ranked highly on Forbes, Financial Times, etc. You can take a look at them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5722372
Also, Cranfield is ranked No. 1 by the Economist for MiM course which can be found at: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/pres...best-in-the-uk

I would suggest before making any final decisions on your offers, try and network with the alumni on LinkedIn as they will help you clarify your doubts better because they hold real time experiences.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can reach out to a Cranfield alumni on LinkedIn; they are normally quite happy to spare some minutes to potential students .
All the best!

Manil- MSc in Management student
Cranfield University TSR Rep
Hi guys I'm applying for Masters in Management (MiM) for this September. So far I've applied to the following with my references finally being completed for them as of today:

LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick

I'm also planning to apply to Manchester but need to get my ref sorted out for it. I was wondering what other unis are worth applying to. Personally I'd be quite keen on Birmingham/Nottingham due to the fact they both offer strong student life but I don't know much about how good these unis are for this masters. I know they're both decent RG unis at UG level but for a MiM I've not seen people mention either in MiM discussions that I've seen. I did my undergrad at KCL in politics and I'm quite interested in going out of LDN for masters to exp a different setting, but I've seen LDN unis that I've applied for get mentioned a lot in MiM discussions so I applied for them from a perceived lack of alternatives. Rankings can be misleading so I'm a bit confused. Can anyone shed some light for me?
Gov.LeslieKnope
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Cranfield University)

I would suggest before making any final decisions on your offers, try and network with the alumni on LinkedIn as they will help you clarify your doubts better because they hold real time experiences.
Great advice about using LinkedIn to contact alumni! understanding why you want to do a management masters and what you want your future to look like after will help inform reaching out to alumni. If you find someone that has followed a career path that you want too that will set you on the right path
dingo13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So an update guys:

OFFERS:
UCL - must reply by July
Manchester - must reply by June 22
B'ham - around same time as manc
Notts - around same time as manc

REJECTED:
Warwick
LSE

WAITING:
Imperial

Of the offers I feel Manchester & UCL are the strongest of the 2. What do you guys feel would be the best choice and why? Personally I feel a bit torn, I think Manchester would offer a nice student life environment, however UCL is perhaps the better options careers-wise as: 1) its mgmt dpt is based in Canary Wharf 2) even despite this London is a bigger business/financial hub than MCR and so better for career 3) UCL's reputation is perhaps stronger than MCR's and thus carries more weight with employers etc. I need to make a decision fairly soon (less than 3 weeks) so any advice/insights would be much appreciated!

Do let me know what you guys think!!

TL;DR: Manchester v UCL?
Last edited by dingo13; 9 months ago
V944817
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
imo, UCL otherwise Imperial if you get the offer later.
dingo13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Your reasoning?
(Original post by V944817)
imo, UCL otherwise Imperial if you get the offer later.
V944817
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
With UCL, you got London advantages that come along with its prestige as well as better job opportunities afterwards. Manchester is shining with its MBA course, not MSc.

I'm not saying Manchester is bad but UCL seems to have more pluses to me, unless you really need campus vibe and cannot tolerate London's subpar student life (which is what this thread was for originally).
Samk32
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would go to Manchester uni as it is way much cheaper than UCL. Since you are considering Management you don't need to be located in London to get a job in management. IF we were discussing MSc Finance then I would recommend UCL.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Manchester actually does much better (number 1) in the highfliers research of the top 100 employers then UCL does. UCL not in top 10.

However, this may be due to UCL attracting alot of foreign talent that finds work globally rather then in the UK.

Living costs are going to be high, but if you can come up with the extra tuition for the MIM im guessing your coming from a financially capable position.

Is the UCL master's worth the extra money in comparison to Manchester in addition to living costs? Probably not.

But UCL is definitely good on a CV, but your paying a HEFTY sum for it, also their management department is very new like 4 yrs which i find odd.
So an update guys:

OFFERS:
UCL - must reply by July
Manchester - must reply by June 22
B'ham - around same time as manc
Notts - around same time as manc

REJECTED:
Warwick
LSE

WAITING:
Imperial

Of the offers I feel Manchester & UCL are the strongest of the 2. What do you guys feel would be the best choice and why? Personally I feel a bit torn, I think Manchester would offer a nice student life environment, however UCL is perhaps the better options careers-wise as: 1) its mgmt dpt is based in Canary Wharf 2) even despite this London is a bigger business/financial hub than MCR and so better for career 3) UCL's reputation is perhaps stronger than MCR's and thus carries more weight with employers etc. I need to make a decision fairly soon (less than 3 weeks) so any advice/insights would be much appreciated!

Do let me know what you guys think!!

TL;DR: Manchester v UCL?
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 9 months ago
V944817
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Also worth noting that OP wants to pursue consulting jobs. Prestige of university helps in that regard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (217)
33.8%
No (425)
66.2%

Watched Threads