Middle Temple BPTC Scholarship Interview 2019 Watch

Abyiat1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone, just wondering how everyone’s experience went with the MT Scholarship interview?

Also, when can we expect to hear back?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cornish27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi. Had quite an interesting interview. Was very fast paced, and a lot was crammed into 15/20 minutes. The panel was for the most part extremely friendly, and took an interest in my answers. Thankfully, no real slip-ups!

The guidance provided by Middle Temple says that it will take four weeks for the Inn to notify us of outcomes... starting to get quite nervous for a result at this point.

One thing I did find strange was the financial section of the interview, where the panel informed me that the policy of the Inn was that they would not fund someone's full expenses (fair enough!). However, they then told me that even if they gave me the full amount, it would not be enough - I found this really odd, as I'm funding myself by around £20k. They don't disclose the percentage that they fund up to, which I find quite frustrating. Did your panel say anything about this?
hmmwwb
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I also had a MT scholarship interview in April, I have just read on the email that was sent out prior to the interview that we will hear back by email rather than post 'by May 2019' however I am hoping it is sooner rather than later because the deadline to join an Inn is 31st May. I was quizzed a lot on my financial form and heard from another applicant that they do not give the full amount even though this was not said to me by the panel. Find it rather odd that they don't give anyone the full amount though and one of the reasons I went with MT over the other Inns was supposed scholarship generosity, anything is better than nothing obviously but I agree that it is frustrating.
Cornish27
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Very annoying that they aren't being consistent in what they are saying to candidates re: financial awards, which may leave some very disappointed when/if awards come through!. I've scoured the Middle Temple website and can't find detail on their current policy.

If what they have said to me is correct, this (technically speaking) could incentivise candidates to withhold inform the Inn of any other financial support which they are receiving from elsewhere. Really strange.

If you don't mind me asking, what 'legal' question were you asked in the interview? Mine was related to withdrawing citizenship (of foreign fighters etc)
(Original post by hmmwwb)
Hi, I also had a MT scholarship interview in April, I have just read on the email that was sent out prior to the interview that we will hear back by email rather than post 'by May 2019' however I am hoping it is sooner rather than later because the deadline to join an Inn is 31st May. I was quizzed a lot on my financial form and heard from another applicant that they do not give the full amount even though this was not said to me by the panel. Find it rather odd that they don't give anyone the full amount though and one of the reasons I went with MT over the other Inns was supposed scholarship generosity, anything is better than nothing obviously but I agree that it is frustrating.
Abyiat1996
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Cornish27)
Very annoying that they aren't being consistent in what they are saying to candidates re: financial awards, which may leave some very disappointed when/if awards come through!. I've scoured the Middle Temple website and can't find detail on their current policy.

If what they have said to me is correct, this (technically speaking) could incentivise candidates to withhold inform the Inn of any other financial support which they are receiving from elsewhere. Really strange.

If you don't mind me asking, what 'legal' question were you asked in the interview? Mine was related to withdrawing citizenship (of foreign fighters etc)
I was asked the exact same legal question - the only other question I know people were asked about was what policy they’d introduce to tackle the issue of climate change etc.

I was also asked if I could change or get rid of one law what would it be.
alice395
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In my interview they said they're aiming for 3! So fingers crossed it'll be this week
Cornish27
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Given the numbers of candidates they were interviewing, I'd be very impressed if they managed that! But here's hoping.
(Original post by alice395)
In my interview they said they're aiming for 3! So fingers crossed it'll be this week
hmmwwb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also got the law reform question and I'm also hoping it's this week as I've been on edge waiting for the outcome as I am heavily reliant on hopefully gaining some funding.
Alfie679
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got told in my interview 2-3 weeks but still nothing yet. Getting nervous waiting!
kikkii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone brave enough to call??
My interview seemed really relaxed, I didn't get the questions listed here by others, the panel were just so lovely, friendly and welcoming, it just made me realise that middle temple is definitely the Inns for me... but the suspense of finding out whether or not they thought i was a candidate for them to offer scholarship to... thats torture!!
Abyiat1996
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kikkii)
Anyone brave enough to call??
My interview seemed really relaxed, I didn't get the questions listed here by others, the panel were just so lovely, friendly and welcoming, it just made me realise that middle temple is definitely the Inns for me... but the suspense of finding out whether or not they thought i was a candidate for them to offer scholarship to... thats torture!!
Got an email today - unfortunately I didn’t get a scholarship (((
Cornish27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also heard back - unsuccessful. Am unable to do the BPTC without support from an Inn, so going to have to wait yet another year. Perhaps need to re-think pursuing the Bar.
alice395
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same here! I've been told a few times it's a pretty good indicator of how well you'd do obtaining pupillage/pursuing the career so I'm wary to spend so much without one
(Original post by Cornish27)
Also heard back - unsuccessful. Am unable to do the BPTC without support from an Inn, so going to have to wait yet another year. Perhaps need to re-think pursuing the Bar.
Cornish27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fully sympathise! I was also unsuccessful following 29 pupillage apps, which really suggests that it's not the path for me. I think the costs remain prohibitively expensive, and intentionally so.
(Original post by alice395)
Same here! I've been told a few times it's a pretty good indicator of how well you'd do obtaining pupillage/pursuing the career so I'm wary to spend so much without one
MaeC1998
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just found out that I've been successful. To everyone who hasn't, dont let it get you down! I'm sure you've all got a lot going for you and theres always next year
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MaeC1998)
Just found out that I've been successful. To everyone who hasn't, dont let it get you down! I'm sure you've all got a lot going for you and theres always next year
That's cool what scholarship did you get?
MaeC1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Readers' Scholarship
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MaeC1998)
The Readers' Scholarship
Well done. I got the Connor Scholarship.
MaeC1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats!
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
Well done. I got the Connor Scholarship.
hmmwwb
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone heard back regarding expenses yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.07%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (391)
56.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.12%

Watched Threads