Japanese Emperor Akihito declares historic abdication Watch

MrDystopia
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Japan's Emperor Akihito has declared his abdication and delivered his last public address as emperor, in a historic ceremony in Tokyo.

He is the first Japanese monarch to stand down in more than 200 years.

The 85-year-old was given permission to abdicate after saying he felt unable to fulfil his role because of his age and declining health.

Crown Prince Naruhito will ascend the throne on Wednesday, beginning a new era.

The emperor in Japan holds no political power but serves as a national symbol.

In his final speech, Akihhito said he "wished Japan and the world peace and prosperity". "I am deeply grateful for the people that accepted me as a symbol and supported me," he said. "Along with the empress consort, I hope from my heart the Reiwa era will be peaceful and fruitful, and I hereby pray for the well-being and happiness of our country and people of the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48020703

So quite historic news coming out of Japan. The new Emperor, Naruhito, will ascend tomorrow (May 1st), and will usher in the new Japanese era (Reiwa).

I've quite a lot of knowledge on Japanese politics, if anyone is curious to know something, I can respond later tonight after work
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I didn't even realise they still had an emperor, I just assumed Hirohito was the last one after his massive balls up.
Quixote.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
I didn't even realise they still had an emperor, I just assumed Hirohito was the last one after his massive balls up.
He was allowed to remain as emperor after WW2 on the basis that he gave up all his power. He died in the 80s, after which Akihito took over.

Akihito's a cool guy. Popular in Japan. I went to his new year address at the Imperial Palace one year.

On to Reiwa 1!
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
令和
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
banzai
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It was made that they no longer have any political involvement, Hirohito was also forced to declare something about not being a God or whatever after some stuff he made them believe.
JinChang
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure what is worse, what Unit 731 did or the US letting them off the hook in exchange for their 'research' data after the war.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Japan is in fact the only recognized country in the world with an emperor or an empress, with the longest-surviving monarchy, and one that is based on solely the direct male lines. They have had several queens and empresses regnant in the past, but they were all sisters and wives of an emperor who ultimately handed over to a son.

(Original post by Vikingninja)
It was made that they no longer have any political involvement, Hirohito was also forced to declare something about not being a God or whatever after some stuff he made them believe.
And the Emperor constitutionally is only a symbol, unlike Her Majesty The Queen who does have reserved power.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The new emperor and empress are the very first emperor and empress Oxford University has educated, and the very first Japanese head of state or government from Oxford as well. The new heir presumptive is an Oxford graduate, so are His Imperial Majesty's uncle and two cousins.

Oxford now has a tally of 9 heads of state and government in the world right now:
- the Emperor of Japan;
- the King of Norway;
- the King of Jordan;
- the King of Bhutan;
- the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom;
- the Prime Minister of Hungary;
- the Prime Minister of Pakistan;
- the Prime Minister of Tuvalu;
- the State Councillor (de facto head of government) of Myanmar.

Not too shabby after surprisingly seeing the resignation and abdication of the Oxonian Peruvian president, Australian prime minister, and Malaysian king.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (492)
31.04%
The paper was reasonable (610)
38.49%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.28%
It was TERRIBLE (225)
14.2%

Watched Threads