The Student Room Group

[LGBTQ+] Gender Identity?

I'm having a bit of trouble with my gender identity...

I'm female, and I identify as so currently. I have no qualms with the she/her pronouns, and I also really like the they/them pronouns too, so I'm not sure what that'd be?

I also experience minimal gender dysphoria (I think) but I don't want to say I'm certain I do when I don't because I know how disrespectful that is.
I hate my voice, my...chest, and I did hate my long hair but I recently got the courage to cut it off really short (I got a death threat for that, but over all really nice comments!). But if I ever did surgery, which I do think about a lot, I'd definitely do top but honestly I'm not sure about the rest - which is why I'm questioning whether I have dysphoria or not.

Bottom line, I feel so much more comfortable wearing trousers and having short hair now, I don't know if I like he/him pronouns because I'm too scared to try them.

And I also have no idea what I identify as. (I was genderfluid for a year or so but didn't tell anyone I knew irl, and I was told it isn't a real thing so i'm just-)

Sorry if this was kinda long! <3

EDIT: Apparently, in the LGBTQ+ community, we support gatekeeping and deciding whether or not in our opinion someone gets to feel a certain way. Asking a simple question, while trying to be as respectful as I could, isn't allowed any more. Finding your gender identity? Not allowed. For this reason, I no longer want to take part in this discussion. I really appreciate the positive/constructive input, and i'm really sorry if I offended anybody, that simply wasn't my objective. Thank you.

now how the f*** do i close a thread
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't sound like you experience gender dysphoria. That has rather rigid criteria and you appear comfortable with numerous things that people diagnosed with GD generally are not.
Yeah, I was wondering about that - thanks!
Original post by sinfonietta
It doesn't sound like you experience gender dysphoria. That has rather rigid criteria and you appear comfortable with numerous things that people diagnosed with GD generally are not.
You don't have to label yourself as anything, just live life how you feel most comfortable.
Yeah, dont worry i wont lol, thank you
And I'm definitely sure I'm not entirely female, I just need help finding something in between, I suppose
No, I realise that - but I don't like being perceived as female - or at least, all the time. Which is why i was genderfluid, but now I'm thinking of Nonbinary or demigirl - something along those lines
Aha, no - I assure you it's not a phase or a joke - i've been trying to figure it out for a few years.
I'm not sure you realise, but you're being really condescending and rude. I recommend you take a hike.
Reply 8
You sound like a tomboy, to be honest. Be careful and don't make any rash decisions. I see too many young people in lgbt community going on hormones and deeply regretting it later, because some of the changes are irreversible. Explore your gender a bit more first... Play around with your clothes, hair, pronouns even and see how you feel about it.
It doesn't sit right with me - I don't feel female. I don't think I am entirely female - and genderfluid, demigirl/demiboy, nonbinary, bigender etc, they are all valid. Whether I am or not, they exist and I understand you may find them to be confusing because you aren't them, but if anything, these terms help me clear my thoughts.
Yeah, thank you! I've been experimenting with they/them pronouns for a year or so online, and i really like the sound of it - which is why i'm not sure what genders fit a she/them pronoun? I can't tell if that makes any sense or not - thank you for your input though <3
Original post by Ciel.
You sound like a tomboy, to be honest. Be careful and don't make any rash decisions. I see too many young people in lgbt community going on hormones and deeply regretting it later, because some of the changes are irreversible. Explore your gender a bit more first... Play around with your clothes, hair, pronouns even and see how you feel about it.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, it'd be a lot easier if there were no labels at all tbh lol, I really appreciate that mindset. But because labels do exist, I guess it's only natural to be curious?
Original post by Decahedron
You don't have to label yourself as anything, just live life how you feel most comfortable.
Reply 12
Original post by WanderStruck
It doesn't sit right with me - I don't feel female. I don't think I am entirely female - and genderfluid, demigirl/demiboy, nonbinary, bigender etc, they are all valid. Whether I am or not, they exist and I understand you may find them to be confusing because you aren't them, but if anything, these terms help me clear my thoughts.

A lot of these 'genders' are nonsense. Don't you see how they all overlap each other? Demiboy and bigender and genderfluid are technically the same ****ing thing. All people have feminine and masculine traits. You don't need to label yourself. But so many people just want to sound unique 'cool', and they want to be part of the community, and they want to have a cool flag................ Sorry but this sort of stuff is very damaging to our community. It's like the new ****ing emo phase.
Gender is a social construct, it means nothing! Wear what you want, how you want, you don't need surgery to change a title.
Reply 14
Yeah, thank you! I've been experimenting with they/them pronouns for a year or so online, and i really like the sound of it - which is why i'm not sure what genders fit a she/them pronoun? I can't tell if that makes any sense or not - thank you for your input though <3

You don't need to worry about the whole 'what gender fits' bull. Just pick whichever pronouns make you the most comfortable, dress however you like, cut your hair short, pick a new 'boy' name if that makes you happy. But forget about all these new dumb labels. Just express yourself however you like.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, it'd be a lot easier if there were no labels at all tbh lol, I really appreciate that mindset. But because labels do exist, I guess it's only natural to be curious?

Well if you want to live in a world with no labels then you have to stop using them.
I don't mean to be damaging, i was trying to be respectful as possible, I'm sorry you feel that way.
I was genderfluid for a long time, until somebody told me it doesn't exist which in turn made me confused and lost again. Demi boy is NOT the same as genderfluid though, that's wrong. And i'm pretty sure bigender is referring to demigirl/demiboy but instead of writing out both terms, bigender is another way of saying it (I could be confused).

I don't want to sound unique or cool, I want to know who I am.

Thanks for reminding me never to ask a genuine, trying-to-be-respectful question on TSR again
Original post by Ciel.
A lot of these 'genders' are nonsense. Don't you see how they all overlap each other? Demiboy and bigender and genderfluid are technically the same ****ing thing. All people have feminine and masculine traits. You don't need to label yourself. But so many people just want to sound unique 'cool', and they want to be part of the community, and they want to have a cool flag................ Sorry but this sort of stuff is very damaging to our community. It's like the new ****ing emo phase.
Yep, except there are male and female binaries in daily life anyways - idk if it's possible to just stop using labels. If it is, please enlighten me lmaoo
Original post by Decahedron
Well if you want to live in a world with no labels then you have to stop using them.
Thank you! I think I do this a lot anyways, I was just curious to see what kinds of insight i'd get, maybe something that fits the way i feel, but i really like this mindset too <3
Original post by sned hlep
Gender is a social construct, it means nothing! Wear what you want, how you want, you don't need surgery to change a title.
Reply 19
I don't mean to be damaging, i was trying to be respectful as possible, I'm sorry you feel that way.
I was genderfluid for a long time, until somebody told me it doesn't exist which in turn made me confused and lost again. Demi boy is NOT the same as genderfluid though, that's wrong. And i'm pretty sure bigender is referring to demigirl/demiboy but instead of writing out both terms, bigender is another way of saying it (I could be confused).

I don't want to sound unique or cool, I want to know who I am.

Thanks for reminding me never to ask a genuine, trying-to-be-respectful question on TSR again

Oh, there we go. Most of you guys are just attention seeking, your post just proves it. You get defensive and butthurt when people point out the obvious flaws in your logic. It's like you want to be oppressed, it's ridiculous. Most of these made up 'genders' are the same.
I'm embarrassed that people like you are part of the LGBT. Nobody takes us seriously anymore because of your tumblr made up genders.

Latest

Trending

Trending