Any 2019/2020 Stirling MPP Public Policy students? Watch

The Disaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm looking for other people who will be starting on the 2019/2020 MPP Public Policy at the University of Stirling. If there are, please message me or join this thread - i'm interested in both general discussion about the course but also about any potential flatshares with other prospective MPP students.
kalimoxto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there!

Currently submitting an application for this course so following this thread
The Disaster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Didn't think I'd get any replies! Are you a UK or international student? Why have you chosen to apply for this course?
(Original post by kalimoxto)
Hi there!

The Disaster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Didn't think I'd get any replies! Are you a UK or international student? Why have you chosen to apply for this course?
(Original post by kalimoxto)
Hi there!

StirlingMPP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I'll be starting the MPP course in September as well. Definitely interested to hear from others.
The Disaster
Rep:
?
Hi,

Thanks for joining the thread. Got a couple questions if that's ok?

- Are you a UK (if so, Scottish, English, Welsh or Northern Irish) or international student?
- Why have you chosen Stirling?
- What are you doing about accommodation?

(Original post by StirlingMPP)
Hello,

I'll be starting the MPP course in September as well. Definitely interested to hear from others.
StirlingMPP
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm an international student coming from the US. But my family is Scottish and I was born and lived in Scotland when I was young. My girlfriend is American and will be attending as well, but studying a different program.

I chose Stirling because it has programs we were both interested in. I was also able to find some of Paul Cairney's work and liked the way he approached things. It sounds like this course should be quite "hands-on" and the faculty seem accessible.

For accommodation, we are currently looking to rent a flat somewhere in Stirling. I'm hoping that coming from another country doesn't make this too difficult.

(Original post by The Disaster)
Hi,

Thanks for joining the thread. Got a couple questions if that's ok?

- Are you a UK (if so, Scottish, English, Welsh or Northern Irish) or international student?
- Why have you chosen Stirling?
- What are you doing about accommodation?
The Disaster
Rep:
?
Ah nice - where in the US are you coming from? Where in Scotland did you live?

Yeah, I studied a fair bit of Paul's work for my undergrad dissertation. Have you had a look around the university or Stirling itself? Yeah it seems more practical than many other MPP programmes (and not as ridiculously expensive either!)

It shouldn't do; no more so than anybody else in your situation.
I'm an international student coming from the US. But my family is Scottish and I was born and lived in Scotland when I was young. My girlfriend is American and will be attending as well, but studying a different program.

I chose Stirling because it has programs we were both interested in. I was also able to find some of Paul Cairney's work and liked the way he approached things. It sounds like this course should be quite "hands-on" and the faculty seem accessible.

For accommodation, we are currently looking to rent a flat somewhere in Stirling. I'm hoping that coming from another country doesn't make this too difficult.
StirlingMPP
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm coming from Washington DC, but lived in the Midwest for most of my life. My family lived around Glasgow when we were in Scotland, but to be honest I was too young to remember most of it. How about yourself? Are you a Scottish student or coming from somewhere else?

Also, are you doing anything to prepare for the course? Having never studied in Scotland, I have no idea what is normally expected going into a course. I have been reading through the work Paul has online and looking at some of the books listed for the course, but I'm interested to know if other people are doing something different or don't see it as necessary.

I'm glad to hear renting shouldn't be a problem. It will be nice to escape DC rent prices.
(Original post by The Disaster)
Ah nice - where in the US are you coming from? Where in Scotland did you live?

Yeah, I studied a fair bit of Paul's work for my undergrad dissertation. Have you had a look around the university or Stirling itself? Yeah it seems more practical than many other MPP programmes (and not as ridiculously expensive either!)

It shouldn't do; no more so than anybody else in your situation.
The Disaster
Rep:
?
Ah right that's cool, I visited DC years ago when I was a kid - would love to go back; think i'd probably appreciate it more now. Where in the Midwest did you live? Ah right. Well i'm from and live in North West England - near Lancaster.

As of yet I haven't done any real 'prep' for the course - it might be a bit early to be worrying to much about that; i'll probably start some kind of prep maybe towards the end of July/early August. In terms of the difference between Scottish (or UK) courses and those of the US, I wouldn't say there's too much difference - especially at Master's level (more difference at undergrad). Though then again i'm certainly no expert on the US system! I'd say in terms of prep I'd probably just be looking at Paul's blog and other general public policy related work. In Scottish public policy (and indeed in UK public policy) Paul is one of the top guys so any of his stuff seems good to go to. The other thing Paul said when I met him is to think about where you'd like to do your work placement at, and what topic you'd like to focus on throughout the year. That chosen topic would then be the research basis for all of your assignments and the final dissertation.

Renting shouldn't be too bad - Stirling was actually voted the most affordable place in the UK to live (though that might have been about buying rather than renting). Anyway, I imagine there's no comparison between Stirling prices and DC prices!
I'm coming from Washington DC, but lived in the Midwest for most of my life. My family lived around Glasgow when we were in Scotland, but to be honest I was too young to remember most of it. How about yourself? Are you a Scottish student or coming from somewhere else?

Also, are you doing anything to prepare for the course? Having never studied in Scotland, I have no idea what is normally expected going into a course. I have been reading through the work Paul has online and looking at some of the books listed for the course, but I'm interested to know if other people are doing something different or don't see it as necessary.

I'm glad to hear renting shouldn't be a problem. It will be nice to escape DC rent prices.
The Disaster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ah right that's cool, I visited DC years ago when I was a kid - would love to go back; think i'd probably appreciate it more now. Where in the Midwest did you live? Ah right. Well i'm from and live in North West England - near Lancaster.

As of yet I haven't done any real 'prep' for the course - it might be a bit early to be worrying to much about that; i'll probably start some kind of prep maybe towards the end of July/early August. In terms of the difference between Scottish (or UK) courses and those of the US, I wouldn't say there's too much difference - especially at Master's level (more difference at undergrad). Though then again i'm certainly no expert on the US system! I'd say in terms of prep I'd probably just be looking at Paul's blog and other general public policy related work. In Scottish public policy (and indeed in UK public policy) Paul is one of the top guys so any of his stuff seems good to go to. The other thing Paul said when I met him is to think about where you'd like to do your work placement at, and what topic you'd like to focus on throughout the year. That chosen topic would then be the research basis for all of your assignments and the final dissertation.

Renting shouldn't be too bad - Stirling was actually voted the most affordable place in the UK to live (though that might have been about buying rather than renting). Anyway, I imagine there's no comparison between Stirling prices and DC prices!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
  • University of Stirling
    Sat, 14 Sep '19
  • University of Stirling
    Thu, 26 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads