Rolling back in driving test

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've got my driving test coming up soon, and I've been learning in a pretty old car.

Whenever I'm not sure if I've stopped on a slight incline or not, my instructor has always said that I can just take my foot off the footbrake for a fraction of a second and let the car roll back an inch (if there are no pedestrians behind or a car isn't too close behind), and if it does roll back, then apply the handbrake. He said this because when moving off on a slight hill, sometimes I can accidentally roll back a bit before I move off.

Is it OK to do this 'roll back test' during the driving test (would it be a minor/serious fault)? Or is it better just to apply the handbrake at every stop, just to be safe?
username4272282
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I think that it's ok to roll back ever so slightly. I don't think it's possible to just straight up keep the car totally still when you stop, especially on a slight incline.

I would say don't let the car roll back for more than a second or so. During my first driving test, I had to stop at uphill traffic lights. My car started rolling back for about 2 seconds, my examiner slammed the breaks and I failed my test lol.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Snfkin)
I think that it's ok to roll back ever so slightly. I don't think it's possible to just straight up keep the car totally still when you stop, especially on a slight incline.

I would say don't let the car roll back for more than a second or so. During my first driving test, I had to stop at uphill traffic lights. My car started rolling back for about 2 seconds, my examiner slammed the breaks and I failed my test lol.
Tbh, 2 seconds is a bit too much, especially when there are cars behind you.
username4272282
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
Tbh, 2 seconds is a bit too much, especially when there are cars behind you.
ya, that's why I failed
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
My instructor always says don't worry about a tiny roll. But mostly you can avoid it. If you actually stop on a hill stick the handbrake on every time, I've always been told if you have time to think about the handbrake it should be on, it takes no time to take it off again. Another option is to slow down to 1st and use the clutch instead if you're not stopping totally and then you can hold the car still with clutch control. The only time id have a tiny roll is if I pulled to a stop at a junction and needed to move off into a gap fast as it was busy and then I'd swap from brake to accelerator quickly.

You should also watch what's happening behind, if there's a pedestrian crossing behind you for example you can't afford to roll back a mm, you need to be careful if there's a car up your ass too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (89)
19.65%
The paper was reasonable (173)
38.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
26.27%
It was TERRIBLE (72)
15.89%

Watched Threads