AnonymousMendes
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m revising ratio for maths gcse and I’m on this website called onmaths where they give example gcse questions. I was getting them all right until I came across this certain question. I didn’t understand it so I just pressed mark and it gave me the answer but didn’t explain how that answer was explained.
If any of you know ratio well I’m going to put the question here and could anyone reply with how to work this question out and how the answer is ‘ 220 sweets’!!!!

Adrian, Ben and Charlie share some sweets in the ratio 7:4:9
Charlie got 22 more sweets than Adrian
Work out the total amount of sweets:

( the website said 220 sweets but didn’t explain how so can someone please reply and explain)
Thanks!
Teenie2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Call Adrian A, Ben B, and Charlie C.

The ratio of sweets that Adrian and Charlie have shows that A/C = 7/9 , so A = (7/9) * C.

Then, as Charlie got 22 more sweets than Adrian, C = A + 22 . Substitute A = (7/9) * C into this equation and you'll have an expression you can use to work out how many sweets Charlie has.

Then, use this to work out how many Adrian has using A = (7/9) * C.

Finally, you know the ratio of Ben's sweets to either Charlie or Adrian so you can figure out how many he has.
AnonymousMendes
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks so much ! It was annoying that I couldn’t do it cause I tried so many solutions. Guess I’m not good at ratio 😬😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14%
I'm not sure (24)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (11)
2%
I'm not a current university student (261)
47.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed