The Student Room Group

reacting moles help chemistry

I am struggling with working out the moles that react when substances are in excess and the molar ratio is not 1:1. For example, in the reaction ZnO + 2HCl goes to ZnCl2 + H2O, if we know that there's 0.083 moles of ZnO and 0.12 moles of Hcl, how do we workout how many moles of ZnCl2 will be formed? Thanks
For the ZnO and the HCl to react completely it would be necessary to have exactly twice as many moles of HCl as ZnO.
We don't have that, we have only 0.12 moles of HCl. (The ZnO is in excess, and the HCl is the limiting reactant).

If all the limiting reactant HCl reacts then 0.06 moles of ZnO will react.
Each mole of ZnO that reacts forms 1 mole of ZnCl2. Therefore 0.06 moles zinc chloride would be formed.
thanks for the reply. I still dont really understand where the 0.06 came from? I get that for all the zno to react we would need 0.166 moles of Hcl, but I dont know what to do next.
Original post by ChemistryWebsite
For the ZnO and the HCl to react completely it would be necessary to have exactly twice as many moles of HCl as ZnO.
We don't have that, we have only 0.12 moles of HCl. (The ZnO is in excess, and the HCl is the limiting reactant).

If all the limiting reactant HCl reacts then 0.06 moles of ZnO will react.
Each mole of ZnO that reacts forms 1 mole of ZnCl2. Therefore 0.06 moles zinc chloride would be formed.
Original post by Bertybassett
thanks for the reply. I still dont really understand where the 0.06 came from? I get that for all the zno to react we would need 0.166 moles of Hcl, but I dont know what to do next.

Because it's HCl that's the limiting reactant, you need to work out how many moles of the ZnO will react. As they react in a 2:1 ratio, half as many moles of ZnO as HCl will react.
Once you realise that ratio, just divide the moles of HCl by 2 to get 0.06 moles (of ZnO)
Original post by ChemistryWebsite
Because it's HCl that's the limiting reactant, you need to work out how many moles of the ZnO will react. As they react in a 2:1 ratio, half as many moles of ZnO as HCl will react.
Once you realise that ratio, just divide the moles of HCl by 2 to get 0.06 moles (of ZnO)

Thanks. So if you had the reaction x+2y goes to z, if you had 0.462 moles of x and 0.0925 moles of y, would you get 0.04625 moles of z formed. And would you have an excess of 0.41575 of x?
Similarly, if you had x + 2y goes to z but had say 0.2 moles of x and 0.99 moles of y, would you get 0.2 moles of z?
Original post by Bertybassett
Thanks. So if you had the reaction x+2y goes to z, if you had 0.462 moles of x and 0.0925 moles of y, would you get 0.04625 moles of z formed. And would you have an excess of 0.41575 of x?
Similarly, if you had x + 2y goes to z but had say 0.2 moles of x and 0.99 moles of y, would you get 0.2 moles of z?

Yes, you've got it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest