I have cystic fibrosis ask me anything you want !

Watch
Jamie2021
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I did a similar thread for my mental health,

I have cystic fibrosis (CF) a genetic life long condition. What questions do you have for me ?

Nothing is off limits, ask me about whatever even dying and death !

Ready go!
Last edited by Jamie2021; 2 years ago
Komal22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can you drive ?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Is it debilitating? Do you have a shorter life span because of it? Can it get worse?
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
Yes i can, i a havent learnt how to yet however i can.
(Original post by Komal22)
Can you drive ?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is that the one in the lungs?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
If you had something to say to someone health and everything 100% no illness drop out of college what would you say life, career wise all off that hope you get better make the best out of a bad situation life is so unfair sometimes wish you all the best =
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
With CF you slowly get worse over time, at the moment i'm relatively healthy with a 78% lung capacity however over time my lungs will deteriorate and will need replacing, the average life span is 40, i'm currently 21
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is it debilitating? Do you have a shorter life span because of it? Can it get worse?
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
Yes CF effects the lungs, digestive system, pancreas and reproductive system.
(Original post by Notoriety)
Is that the one in the lungs?
username3161682
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it true that you need to remain 6 feet away from anyone else with CF? Sorry if that's an ignorant question, I'm asking since I went to see the movie "Five Feet Apart" and was wondering if that was true.
Komal22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you sad 😕
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
In the united states yes, however in the UK we aren't aloud in the same room no matter how big let alone being as close as 6 feet. I do realise that its different in the US though.
(Original post by Joe2001)
Is it true that you need to remain 6 feet away from anyone else with CF? Sorry if that's an ignorant question, I'm asking since I went to see the movie "Five Feet Apart" and was wondering if that was true.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jamie2021)
In the united states yes, however in the UK we aren't aloud in the same room no matter how big let alone being as close as 6 feet. I do realise that its different in the US though.
Why not?
Skidge
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes if I have a cold I'll wake up and I can't speak at all or breath without having to cough up a bit of snotty mucus that's down the back of my throat. Or sometimes I wake up and can't breathe through my nose because it is chock a block full of snot.

When you wake up what's your experience like, as I believe CF produces very thick mucus?
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Why not?
we can give each other infections incredible easy so to minimise cross infection we cant be anywhere near each other
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Are you not allowed to be next to anyone like family or like anyone 😥😕
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
Honestly No aha, im a very happy person. I just think that if you live life to the highest level you can manage then theres no need to be sad.
(Original post by Komal22)
Are you sad 😕
Jamie2021
Rep:
?
I cough up alot of mucus all day every day aha, and i do have more touble in the morning breathing however i do treatments in the morning to clear all that out so i can carry on, however every CF'er is diffrent some don't experience that and some experience it a massive level im kind of in the middle.
(Original post by Skidge)
Sometimes if I have a cold I'll wake up and I can't speak at all or breath without having to cough up a bit of snotty mucus that's down the back of my throat. Or sometimes I wake up and can't breathe through my nose because it is chock a block full of snot.

When you wake up what's your experience like, as I believe CF produces very thick mucus?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
do you ever wish you weren't born with it?
does CF prevent you from doing things that other people can do or does it prevent you from having a social life since coughing non stop can put people off if they don't know you well enough?
have you ever blamed you parents since its a genetic condition? (sorry I went a bit too extreme...)

I have cystic fibrosis (CF) a genetic life long condition. What questions do you have for me ?

Ready go!
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Where were you 11hrs ago when this came up in my human physiology exam.
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Ready go!
Without going into too much detail as I'm sure some people might not want to know the details, but does it affect other areas of your body not just your lungs? As the respiratory system is the most serious but is your digestive system affected? Or any other? Just curious as when I was younger I associated it with just lungs but then I realised there's mucus in other parts of the body and I was just like ooh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (144)
42.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.93%

Watched Threads