Interview process for MSc (by research) Forensic and Criminological Psychology Watch

A_A96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I have been shortlisted for the next stage of the MSc (by research) Forensic and Criminological Psychology programme which is the interview stage.

I was wondering whether anyone had completed this before and what to expect? It says in the email that there will be a written assessment, group session & face to face interview with a panel and will last all day which is making me nervous. Any tips, previous experience or anything would be much appreciated! Thanks!
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A_A96)
Hi,

I have been shortlisted for the next stage of the MSc (by research) Forensic and Criminological Psychology programme which is the interview stage.

I was wondering whether anyone had completed this before and what to expect? It says in the email that there will be a written assessment, group session & face to face interview with a panel and will last all day which is making me nervous. Any tips, previous experience or anything would be much appreciated! Thanks!
It sounds similar to any normal assessment centre. If you've not done these before, get some practice:
- google written exercises (try and mark these/ reassess your work, and do them timed)
-group session, (if timed monitor this) be a team player but make sure your views are heard, think about demonstrating core skills to the other people. Say your decision making ideas out loud (again plenty of stuff on google about this)

-Interview: Prepare some answers to the softball questions: Why do you want to do this, biggest weakness, tell me a time where something went wrong...
-Im imagining this will likely be with your supervisor so brush up on the research topic at hand and the key technical stuff related to your subject. Make sure you've reviewed your personal statement and can talk about it (also your dissertation, any other large academic projects you've worked on)
A_A96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Ah that’s so helpful! Thanks so much!!

(Original post by mnot)
It sounds similar to any normal assessment centre. If you've not done these before, get some practice:
- google written exercises (try and mark these/ reassess your work, and do them timed)
-group session, (if timed monitor this) be a team player but make sure your views are heard, think about demonstrating core skills to the other people. Say your decision making ideas out loud (again plenty of stuff on google about this)

-Interview: Prepare some answers to the softball questions: Why do you want to do this, biggest weakness, tell me a time where something went wrong...
-Im imagining this will likely be with your supervisor so brush up on the research topic at hand and the key technical stuff related to your subject. Make sure you've reviewed your personal statement and can talk about it (also your dissertation, any other large academic projects you've worked on)
KurtHetfield
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
for what university?

(Original post by A_A96)
Hi,

mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KurtHetfield)
for what university?
It's in the UoNottingham forum...
nooorrro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi yes same here. I am really nervous too - I am just wondering if there's going to be stats questions asked on the day, for the written exam that is.
(Original post by A_A96)
Hi,

A_A96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yep, i'm more worried about the written assessment more than anything! I've been told it may be something general just to test skills and writing!
(Original post by nooorrro)
Hi yes same here. I am really nervous too - I am just wondering if there's going to be stats questions asked on the day, for the written exam that is.
nooorrro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I just spoke to someone who is finishing this course this year. They said that you don't need to revise stats at all as long as you know the basics. To be honest you should be fine for the writing as you wouldn't be considered if you had a grade below a 2:1- so it means you are can write competently.

When is your interview date?

(Original post by A_A96)
Yep, i'm more worried about the written assessment more than anything! I've been told it may be something general just to test skills and writing!
A_A96
Rep:
?
Ah that's so helpful thank you! I also rang up the university this morning and they said it was an on the day test but with questions that are specific to forensic psychology. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad if we're not being asked to prepare anything! and my interview is Wednesday 22nd May, when is yours?
Yes I just spoke to someone who is finishing this course this year. They said that you don't need to revise stats at all as long as you know the basics. To be honest you should be fine for the writing as you wouldn't be considered if you had a grade below a 2:1- so it means you are can write competently.

When is your interview date?
nooorrro
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by A_A96)
Ah that's so helpful thank you! I also rang up the university this morning and they said it was an on the day test but with questions that are specific to forensic psychology. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad if we're not being asked to prepare anything! and my interview is Wednesday 22nd May, when is yours?
Ah really thanks that is really informative! Yes I think we will be fine. Mine is also Wednesday 22nd May too. Hopefully I will see you there!
A_A96
Rep:
?
Yeah hopefully see you there! Good luck!
Ah really thanks that is really informative! Yes I think we will be fine. Mine is also Wednesday 22nd May too. Hopefully I will see you there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.58%
The paper was reasonable (390)
46.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.56%
It was TERRIBLE (108)
12.77%

Watched Threads