Roksana C.Drozdz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys so I chose my a-level options : biology, psychology and sociology. So... I've been looking at nursing degrees and my uni offers a nursing degree both BNurs and MNurs. What is the difference between these two degrees? So far all I understand is that MNurs is 4 years long rather than 3. My plan is to become an ANP and I heard that you need a masters in nursing.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Roksana C.Drozdz)
Hi guys so I chose my a-level options : biology, psychology and sociology. So... I've been looking at nursing degrees and my uni offers a nursing degree both BNurs and MNurs. What is the difference between these two degrees? So far all I understand is that MNurs is 4 years long rather than 3. My plan is to become an ANP and I heard that you need a masters in nursing.
It’s up to you what you do your pre reg course in, the ANP course is a masters, but it’s a masters in advanced practice, so you’d need to do that course whether your pre reg course was a bachelors or a masters.
username4728536
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heyy!! I was in the exact same position before I officially applied for the MNurs programme. Basically the main difference is that with the MNurs degree you come out with a higher qualification because you spend the 4th (MNurs course) year studying at "postgraduate" level, that's the answer I got from my interview when I asked this exact question.

btw what uni did you apply for, UOB?
(Original post by Roksana C.Drozdz)
Mariakhan123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, just wondering. Do you get the same qualifications in the 4 year master undergraduate course as you would for the 2 year postgraduate masters? Or is it different??
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mariakhan123)
Hi, just wondering. Do you get the same qualifications in the 4 year master undergraduate course as you would for the 2 year postgraduate masters? Or is it different??
The undergrad award will be a bachelors degree, a masters would mean you have a masters. They would both lead to registration as a nurse and allow you to practise as a nurse. I’m yet to be convinced that a preregistration masters leads to any sort of accelerated career pathway compared to a bachelors degree though.
Roksana C.Drozdz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
The undergrad award will be a bachelors degree, a masters would mean you have a masters. They would both lead to registration as a nurse and allow you to practise as a nurse. I’m yet to be convinced that a preregistration masters leads to any sort of accelerated career pathway compared to a bachelors degree though.
Right I've done my research and I received an offer for a 4 years long degree, University of Birmingham has a 4 years long programme where you work towards being an Adult Nurse but with a dual registration... Adult and Mental Health so that you can work in both districts.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...-dual-amh.aspx (This is an MNurs programme)
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
i've heard of a few who seem to have an accelerated career pathway, but itps often like Police accelerated promotion scheme and also seems to depend on brown nosing and those who provide Matronage staying with the employer / taking you with them
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mariakhan123)
you get registration and an academic award

it is the same registration regardless of Bachelors, Undergraduate Masters or Post grad masters , you enter the profession at the same point as an band 5 NQN ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (587)
50%
No (587)
50%

Watched Threads