New Zealand studying A-levels in UK wanting to go to Melbourne University

Watch
AnOrdinaryKiwi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have been trying to figure this out but find it very confusing, so I have both a New Zealand and British citizenship and am currently in 6th form in England, I want to study Aerospace Engineering at Melbourne University in Australia, but I have struggled to find the entry requirements for an international student from UK, and I am confused about whether or not I would be considered a domestic student, and how that affects pricing and entry requirements. Any help would be much appreciated.
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From what I can see on the website... to study the Master of Engineering (Mechanical with Aerospace) which is the only degree I can find for Aerospace Engineering, you need to study the undergraduate Bachelor of Design with a Mechanical Systems major or Bachelor of Science with a Mechanical Systems major.

Entry requirement with A Levels is BBC.

Subject requirements:

Design - An accepted AS Level English subject. A minimum of three A Levels is required and a grade of at least C is required in prerequisite subjects unless otherwise specified. Accepted GCE AS and A Level English subjectsare: General Paper, General Studies, English Language and Literature, English Literature, English Language. Singapore A Level subject Knowledge and Enquiry (H2) is also accepted. A grade of at least C is required to meet the University’s English language requirements.

Science - Mathematics and one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics and an accepted AS Level English subject. A minimum of three A Levels is required and a grade of at least C is required in prerequisite subjects unless otherwise specified. Accepted GCE AS and A Level English subjectsare: General Paper, General Studies, English Language and Literature, English Literature, English Language. Singapore A Level subject Knowledge and Enquiry (H2) is also accepted. A grade of at least C is required to meet the University’s English language requirements.

As someone with an "English Speaking Background or Education" the website also says:

Applicants who have completed their GCSE and A Levels in the United Kingdom can satisfy the University's English language requirements by achieving either a grade of C in GCE A Levels or a grade of B in GCSE English.

Sorry if that's not helpful! I only did a quick google/browse on the website. Best bet is probably to email them and ask
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AnOrdinaryKiwi)
So I have been trying to figure this out but find it very confusing, so I have both a New Zealand and British citizenship and am currently in 6th form in England, I want to study Aerospace Engineering at Melbourne University in Australia, but I have struggled to find the entry requirements for an international student from UK, and I am confused about whether or not I would be considered a domestic student, and how that affects pricing and entry requirements. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi, Kiwi.

There are two issues here: qualifications and fees.

(1) GCE A-levels are accepted as a qualification for undergraduate admission to Melbourne University, on a par with Australian state school-leaving certificates.
(2) As a New Zealand citizen you would be able to take advantage of a Commonwealth Supported Place or an Australian fee place, even though you are currently resident outside Aus/NZ. In other words, you would be a domestic student.

If you want to find out what the exact A-level requirements would be for your choice of course, the best thing is to send Melbourne uni an email with your query.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed