Urgent help needed for Latin AS level?

Watch
theoretically...
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Due to mental health difficulties, I've got to cram all of the AS level Latin language and literature content into the next fourteen days, as my exams start on the thirteenth of May. I understand that this will be very difficult, but I've got no other option.
If you have any background in Latin at all, I'd be very grateful for your advice on reducing it to the necessary stuff, or just general guidance for the set texts.

Thank you.
FionaMacrae
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I'd recommend making audio recordings of yourself reading the English out and listening to it when you would otherwise listen to music to learn it. Also look through the Latin and work out which word means what si that you can piece it together more quickly in an exam.

For themes and characters make a mind map (one for each) with he things you might want to talk about. You can add stuff more easily at a later point than if you wrote a bullet point list.

For vocab, I know this is obvious and annoying, but Quizlet or Memrise everyday in the car or on the bus on the way to school. You dont even have to make your own flashcards because other people will have made them before. Also just cover the English or principal parts on the vocab list itself to test yourself.

As for the grammar, the practice sentences in the textbook are great, but sentence structures are harder to spot in context. Do a few practice translations from books or past papers to get used to them. My Latin teacher plays a game called 'Bingus' with us where we make a grid of grammar things like "perfect passive participle", "*** clause" and "ablative absolute" and we cross them off if we find them. This helps you to pay attention to what the grammar says.

I hope this helps, and the best of luck to you!
Rungirlrun!!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FionaMacrae)
Hi! I'd recommend making audio recordings of yourself reading the English out and listening to it when you would otherwise listen to music to learn it. Also look through the Latin and work out which word means what si that you can piece it together more quickly in an exam.

For themes and characters make a mind map (one for each) with he things you might want to talk about. You can add stuff more easily at a later point than if you wrote a bullet point list.

For vocab, I know this is obvious and annoying, but Quizlet or Memrise everyday in the car or on the bus on the way to school. You dont even have to make your own flashcards because other people will have made them before. Also just cover the English or principal parts on the vocab list itself to test yourself.

As for the grammar, the practice sentences in the textbook are great, but sentence structures are harder to spot in context. Do a few practice translations from books or past papers to get used to them. My Latin teacher plays a game called 'Bingus' with us where we make a grid of grammar things like "perfect passive participle", "*** clause" and "ablative absolute" and we cross them off if we find them. This helps you to pay attention to what the grammar says.

I hope this helps, and the best of luck to you!
I know this was a while ago but that is literally exactly what I did for my exam last year!! Spooky!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (127)
14.65%
I'm not sure (40)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (262)
30.22%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (416)
47.98%

Watched Threads