Lancaster accommodation Watch

DPickston
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I accepted an unconditional place to study engineering in March, and am now beginning to consider accommodation, and was wondering if any current students could give me any thoughts? At the moment I like the look of the townhouses but by heart is totally not set on them so any help would be much appreciated
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
The Student Housing Company
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! My name is Adilla and I am a Master Student in Lancaster University. I live off campus, in Cable Street (which I'm also a resident assistant ). Congrats on your acceptance, by the way! Since you're looking at townhouses, I want to share my experience living in the heart of Lancaster. Based on my experience, if you choose to live in town you need to make sure you are walking distance to the bus stop because it is quite a commute to the University (which I think is the only drawback of living in town). But on the brightside, living in town makes it easier (and cheaper too) for you to buy groceries, hang out or travel outside Lancaster. I've been living in Cable Street for almost a year and location-wise I could not ask for anything better. It's located -literally- across the bus station which makes it easier for you to access any bus in Lancaster and almost guarantee you get a seat on the bus especially on busy times. Sainsburys only a 2 minute walk away which help if you need any last minute of anything (in my case printer cartridge). I don't know how well you know Lancaster, but the city center (where all the shops and restaurants are) is 5 minutes away from Cable Street. Speaking of night out, Sugarhouse or "Sugar" -as we call it- is just down the street, quite close to Sainsbury. From Cable Street, you can take a shortcut to the train station so you'll arrive in just 10 minutes. In terms of facilities, I think it is important to be able to wash your laundry in your own flat free of charge. I know some accommodation also have washing machines but you still have to pay to use them and on campus you definitely have to pay to wash your laundry. So, free laundry is a big score in my opinion. Living in Cable Street, in terms of facilities, are quite the same as living on campus (of course with more perks like free laundry and less people to share a kitchen just 3-4 people to share) such as the post service, the security (with cctv), 24 hour assistance (thats where i come in ), social activities to support your wellbeing (like a week of free breakfast week or printing) and weekly cleaning. So what is your preference when you're looking for in terms of accommodation? Just ask me any questions and I'll be glad to help you

Adilla
Resident Assistant of Cable Street

(Original post by DPickston)
Hi everyone,

I accepted an unconditional place to study engineering in March, and am now beginning to consider accommodation, and was wondering if any current students could give me any thoughts? At the moment I like the look of the townhouses but by heart is totally not set on them so any help would be much appreciated
Joe1000000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
As much as the totally unbiased person above says, I would recommend living on campus for your first year. Comparing townhouses to the standard accommodation there's a lot of similarities and some differences. Townhouses get more communal living space, but are generally shared between more people. Non-townhouse accommodation is either en-suite or shared bathroom, townhouses are all shared. Kitchens are again all shared. Off the top of my head townhouses are usually 12 people to a kitchen? Whereas depending on the other accommodation there can be anywhere from 4 to 8 people per kitchen.

The main difference is that townhouses have no cleaning services. Non-townhouses have daily cleaning of communal spaces, and flats with shared bathrooms have them cleaned daily as well (but with an ensuite bathroom you'll have to clean it yourself), whereas townhouses require you to keep everything clean yourself/ as a flat.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, what type of accomodation you'll enjoy more is going to depend on your personality, more outgoing people will tend to enjoy the townhouses and the communal space you get, whereas others will prefer their own bathrooms etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (390)
25.97%
The paper was reasonable (650)
43.28%
Not feeling great about that exam (299)
19.91%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.85%

Watched Threads