Jordz2203
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi Guys,
I am a 17 year old who currently lives in South Africa, Im currently completing my Matric. Ive been looking to join the RAF for a while as one of my options as I aspire to be a pilot. Im curious to know what I need and if I have a chance of becoming a fighter pilot in the RAF, I heard they opened applications again and also to all commonwealth countries due to a lack of Applicants in the UK. My mom has a british passport and my dad has a Residency Visa, I am eligible for Ancestry. I was wondering since we do not do GCSEs here and our education (GCSE version) is 2 years longer than yours in the UK, (2 years College and GCEs are combined). What marks do i need to become a fighter pilot and also if I apply can I apply conditionally so only if I get to be a fighter pilot or is it more of a lottery cause I would rather not apply if I can get stuck running maintenance or something.
Joe_01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No one but the RAF account on TSR can really help you with this. It’s best for you to speak to the RAF directly on their recruitment website.

Ps yes you can apply just for the role of pilot (not fighter pilot though, they decide if you become a jet, fixed wing multi-engine, or helicopter pilot) if you get in then you get pilot, if you don’t, then you don’t need to join!

Joe
Last edited by Joe_01; 5 months ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jordz2203)
Hi Guys,
I am a 17 year old who currently lives in South Africa, Im currently completing my Matric. Ive been looking to join the RAF for a while as one of my options as I aspire to be a pilot. Im curious to know what I need and if I have a chance of becoming a fighter pilot in the RAF, I heard they opened applications again and also to all commonwealth countries due to a lack of Applicants in the UK. My mom has a british passport and my dad has a Residency Visa, I am eligible for Ancestry. I was wondering since we do not do GCSEs here and our education (GCSE version) is 2 years longer than yours in the UK, (2 years College and GCEs are combined). What marks do i need to become a fighter pilot and also if I apply can I apply conditionally so only if I get to be a fighter pilot or is it more of a lottery cause I would rather not apply if I can get stuck running maintenance or something.
You would apply to be a pilot. If you got in, they decide which stream you go to, it could be fast jet, but it could also be multi engine or rotary (helicopter).

There is a residency requirement with the RAF, though. You'd have to check you qualify. That opening to commonwealth countries wasn't for all branches / roles.
Last edited by Drewski; 5 months ago
Jordz2203
Rep:
?
I see, I am eligible for Ancestry Visa so I can get my passport after a few years but its not really worth it then.
(Original post by Drewski)
You would apply to be a pilot. If you got in, they decide which stream you go to, it could be fast jet, but it could also be multi engine or rotary (helicopter).

There is a residency requirement with the RAF, though. You'd have to check you qualify. That opening to commonwealth countries wasn't for all branches / roles.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I see, I am eligible for Ancestry Visa so I can get my passport after a few years but its not really worth it then.
It's worth double checking with the careers service first.
SmutsReport
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
NATIONALITY & RESIDENCY
"You must be a citizen of the United Kingdom or holder of dual UK/ other nationality.

Whether or not you were born in the United Kingdom, you should have resided there for the 5 years immediately preceding your application but candidates with a minimum of 3 years may be considered.

Following the MOD announcement that the UK Armed Forces will now be able to recruit commonwealth citizens without the 5 year residency requirement, please note that the RAF continues to apply standard residency requirements for security clearance, ie, DV employment requires 7-years UK residency immediately prior to enlistment; SC requires 3-years."

That's from the eligibility/entry requirements section of the pilot role on the RAF website.
Jordz2203
Rep:
?
Sorry to bug, but i cant tell if that means I cannot be a pilot without 5 years residency? Does a pilot get clearance?
(Original post by SmutsReport)
NATIONALITY & RESIDENCY
"You must be a citizen of the United Kingdom or holder of dual UK/ other nationality.

Whether or not you were born in the United Kingdom, you should have resided there for the 5 years immediately preceding your application but candidates with a minimum of 3 years may be considered.

Following the MOD announcement that the UK Armed Forces will now be able to recruit commonwealth citizens without the 5 year residency requirement, please note that the RAF continues to apply standard residency requirements for security clearance, ie, DV employment requires 7-years UK residency immediately prior to enlistment; SC requires 3-years."

That's from the eligibility/entry requirements section of the pilot role on the RAF website.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry to bug, but i cant tell if that means I cannot be a pilot without 5 years residency? Does a pilot get clearance?
My reading of that suggests you need at least 3 years residency.
SmutsReport
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It means you usually need 5 years residency but they'll look at your application after at least 3 years. All RAF personnel need security clearance, which for most roles is the basic SC which requires 3 years UK residency as well. I don't know if pilot has a higher level of security clearance though, but you'll need minimum 3 years living in the UK either way.

Hope that helps.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

Apologies for the delay in replying. As has been stated, you will need to meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria that are listed on the role page on the RAF Recruitment website. Everything is listed on there that you need to have in place to be able to complete and submit a full application.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r.../aircrew/pilot

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads