CUG rankings released today: thoughts on the law ranking? Watch

Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Seen the CUG league tables have been released today and been looking at the law one out of curiosity - any surprises for anyone?

Guess the major talking points are:

- Oxford down to 4th
- UCL jumping from 6th to 2nd
- From 20th to 13th for Lancaster
- York going from 11th to 22nd
- Warwick down to 23rd
- Manchester improving from 22nd to 17th

For the top 20:

1. Cambridge 2. UCL 3. Glasgow 4. Oxford 5. Durham 6. LSE 7. Edinburgh 8. Kings 9. Aberdeen 10. Dundee 11. Strathclyde 12. Nottingham 13. Lancaster 14. Bristol 15. Exeter 16. Leeds 17. Manchester 18. Kent 19. Glasgow Caledonian 20. Sheffield

Other ones to mention: York (22nd), Warwick (23rd), Birmingham (26th), QMUL (29th)

I know rankings aren’t something to be read too much into but always fun for debate so any thoughts?
Last edited by Arisapo; 3 months ago
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They're always tragic and today is no different.

Glasgow Caledonian above Warwick. OK, dad.

People should extract data they like (e.g. entry and prospects and research) and formulate their own table; rather depending on this BULLCRAP.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
They're always tragic and today is no different.

Glasgow Caledonian above Warwick. OK, dad.

People should extract data they like (e.g. entry and prospects and research) and formulate their own table; rather depending on this BULLCRAP.
Agree completely, it's just a shame some impressionable students are so easily swayed by rankings.

I mean, how can York logically fall from 11th to 22nd in the space of a year - it's illogical and students will probably glance at them and be put off York by its "decline".

Scottish unis always seem to be vastly overrated as well.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
Agree completely, it's just a shame some impressionable students are so easily swayed by rankings.

I mean, how can York logically fall from 11th to 22nd in the space of a year - it's illogical and students will probably glance at them and be put off York by its "decline".

Scottish unis always seem to be vastly overrated as well.
Scot quals are given more UCAS points than English quals, hence the higher entry standards and consequently higher place in the rankings.
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The recent CUG rankings propose a roughly accurate ranking in terms of the Top 10. Every year the Top 10 remains largely unchanged and for this reason the rankings are, again, unsurprising.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
The recent CUG rankings propose a roughly accurate ranking in terms of the Top 10. Every year the Top 10 remains largely unchanged and for this reason the rankings are, again, unsurprising.
Don’t think there’s much accuracy in them - what metrics are used? Employability over six months isn’t a good metric for law, while why has York dropped 11 places? And Warwick that low? It’s laughable.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Don’t think there’s much accuracy in them - what metrics are used? Employability over six months isn’t a good metric for law, while why has York dropped 11 places? And Warwick that low? It’s laughable.
He's at Durham and is the resident troll. He's saying it's accurate because Durham is high in the rankings.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Scot quals are given more UCAS points than English quals, hence the higher entry standards and consequently higher place in the rankings.
Ah, that makes sense.

It’s just a shame people take these rankings as gospel. Like Lancaster is a good uni, but debatable if it’s that good. While having Kent and Glasgow Caledonian above Warwick and York? Give me a break.

Even things like Durham over LSE are contentious.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
He's at Durham and is the resident troll. He's saying it's accurate because Durham is high in the rankings.
That makes sense then, if your uni is ranked highly, of course the rankings are accurate.

It’s like Exeter has improved but that doesn’t mean I think it’s better than Warwick or York just because I’m intending to go there.

Wait until The Guardian’s are released and we have Solent up in 9th
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am a bit disappointed Bolton is still lounging in 91st.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That makes sense then, if your uni is ranked highly, of course the rankings are accurate.

It’s like Exeter has improved but that doesn’t mean I think it’s better than Warwick or York just because I’m intending to go there.

Wait until The Guardian’s are released and we have Solent up in 9th
According to my internet history, I have not clicked on the CUG since mid-2018 and before then it was early 2018. Really don't think they're important and in me hundreds of posts on this forum, I virtually never look at them.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It is unfortunate that some university students will make a decision based on league tables which generate questionable results. Warwick and York are definitely far better than Glasgow Caledonian......
Ah, that makes sense.

It’s just a shame people take these rankings as gospel. Like Lancaster is a good uni, but debatable if it’s that good. While having Kent and Glasgow Caledonian above Warwick and York? Give me a break.

ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Durham has, and always will be, ranked amongst the elite institutions in domestic rankings as it is itself an elite institution.

I know you are slightly angry because your chosen institution is not ranked very well but there’s no need to take it out on the elites.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ah, that makes sense.

Anything outside the top 10 is irrelevant my good man, these institutions fluctuate like the stock market, whilst the elite top 10 or top 5 dare I say, retain their top positions.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
According to my internet history, I have not clicked on the CUG since mid-2018 and before then it was early 2018. Really don't think they're important and in me hundreds of posts on this forum, I virtually never look at them.
I think they’re interesting but it’s infuriating when people treat them like gospel.

Saw someone on here a few days ago who was applying to Lancaster and calling it a “top 15 uni” because of rankings while a poster should go to York over Warwick because “York is the 11th best uni in the country for law”. Is it now the 22nd best in the space of a year? Drives me insane.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Anything outside the top 10 is irrelevant my good man, these institutions fluctuate like the stock market, whilst the elite top 10 or top 5 dare I say, retain their top positions.
What about last year when Durham was 7th? Was it in your top 5 last year?
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What about last year when Durham was 7th? Was it in your top 5 last year?
Now I know you got rejected from Durham but there is no use focussing only on this 1 university. I have never claimed Durham was ranked in the top 5, merely that the top 5 institutions retain their placed and remain largely unchanged. Attention to detail.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Now I know you got rejected from Durham but there is no use focussing only on this 1 university. I have never claimed Durham was ranked in the top 5, merely that the top 5 institutions retain their placed and remain largely unchanged. Attention to detail.
What are the top 5 institutions then? I’m curious to know your opinion. I’m guessing Glasgow is in there as it always features?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well, it just declined heavily in psychology. Guess it is now irrelevant, glad I left before it happened.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What are the top 5 institutions then? I’m curious to know your opinion. I’m guessing Glasgow is in there as it always features?
I wouldn’t knock Glasgow as if it’s beneath you. It’s multi-faculty Scots Law and Common Law degree offerings certainly make it stand out from the crowd and cements it’s place as a top institution.

It is the top and only RG in Scotland which offers both Scots and Common, attracting many top applicants from Scotland and abroad I’m sure.

The Top 5 unis in CUG represent the top 5 institutions for Law in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%