The Student Room Group

Have you ever been to a gig by yourself?

If so, what was your experience like? Did you prefer going by yourself? Was it weird?

I made a drunk decision to buy a resale ticket for a band I REALLY wanted to see. But since it was resold it was a lot more expensive than face value (stupid decision, I know) but because of this my friend can't go, so i'll be going alone.

Scroll to see replies

All the time. Literally lost count of how many times I've done it. I tend to meet a lot of new people that way.
Reply 2
Have you had a look on like gumtree or something? Can be a lot cheaper since the fees are all gone, I managed to get 2 QOTSA tickets on there, it was a sold out show and the tickets were cheaper than face value :wink:

Otherwise I haven’t, I wouldn’t care much during the actual gig, I’ve lost friends in crowds and been alone but if I’m honest I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable being alone before and after the show if I also had to be alone
Original post by sinfonietta
All the time. Literally lost count of how many times I've done it. I tend to meet a lot of new people that way.

I suppose that's a good point, I'm kinda happy about it in a way. Normally when I go with my friend we have to stand to the side cause he's super tall. You didn't find it awkward or anything though?
Reply 4
Original post by MidgetFever
If so, what was your experience like? Did you prefer going by yourself? Was it weird?

I made a drunk decision to buy a resale ticket for a band I REALLY wanted to see. But since it was resold it was a lot more expensive than face value (stupid decision, I know) but because of this my friend can't go, so i'll be going al

Do you not think it would be more fun going with a friend? lol
I suppose that's a good point, I'm kinda happy about it in a way. Normally when I go with my friend we have to stand to the side cause he's super tall. You didn't find it awkward or anything though?

Not at all awkward!
Original post by BLD1001
Do you not think it would be more fun going with a friend? lol

In a way yeah, but like I said my friend can't go.
yes i went to my first concert by myself. i made friends in the queue and it was great fun.
Original post by 3121
Have you had a look on like gumtree or something? Can be a lot cheaper since the fees are all gone, I managed to get 2 QOTSA tickets on there, it was a sold out show and the tickets were cheaper than face value :wink:

Otherwise I haven’t, I wouldn’t care much during the actual gig, I’ve lost friends in crowds and been alone but if I’m honest I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable being alone before and after the show if I also had to be alone

I didn't think to do that actually, deffo might be worth a try, thank you!

Yeah that's what I was worried about really, I have to go to a different city for the gig so that in itself is quite daunting but I know I won't do anything irrational.
Reply 9
Easily over 100 times, I prefer it.
No, but you see plenty of people who do go alone. And as mentioned above, people are quite gregarious at gigs as you have shared interests.
Original post by gjd800
Easily over 100 times, I prefer it.

Yeah I'm starting to think this won't be a bad thing after all, the majority of people I've asked seem to say the same thing. :lol:
Reply 12

I made a drunk decision to buy a resale ticket for a band I REALLY wanted to see. But since it was resold it was a lot more expensive than face value (stupid decision, I know) but because of this my friend can't go, so i'll be going alone.

You’ll be all good Beth! :smile:
Original post by owenj68
You’ll be all good Beth! :smile:

I'm slightly concerned that you know my name.. but I also think I know who you are.. :lol:
Reply 14
It’s uncanny! 😂
I'm slightly concerned that you know my name.. but I also think I know who you are.. :lol:
Who are you going to see surprised nobody before me asked
Original post by owenj68
It’s uncanny! 😂

Dw I've cottoned on now.. Owen.. Guitars.. Gotcha :lol:
Original post by 5454345436
Who are you going to see surprised nobody before me asked

I'm going to see Greta Van Fleet. They were supposed to tour in March but had to reschedule, the tickets were carried over so it sold out pretty quickly unfortunately.
Yeah. I've got fairly niche music tastes so it's difficult finding people to go with.

Getting there early and standing by myself can feel a little awkward but it's fine once things kick off.
I'm going to see Greta Van Fleet. They were supposed to tour in March but had to reschedule, the tickets were carried over so it sold out pretty quickly unfortunately.

Ah nice, I haven't done a gig alone yet but would definitely for some of my favourite artists (glass animals if they come back for sure) if they were fairly cheap and easy to get to. Couldn't really justify paying £80 for a big name act to be alone i think.

Quick Reply

Latest